Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: New PV Impressions

Question

Would this quiet down the PV noticebly? Or will it only help vehicles with no muffler at all?

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...ProductID=2476

100% T-304 Stainless Steel Construction
    Compact Size Fits All Racing Applications
    Ultra Lightweight-Less Than 1/2 lb. each
    Little or No Power Loss
    Easy Bolt Installation
    Insert Cones on 3", 3 1/2", 4", 4 1/2", 5"
    Turn Down with Insert Cone in 3", 3 1/2", 4"

Let's face it! Open exhaust racing is a thing of the past. Sound requirements, mandatory mufflers, or maximum dB levels are found in all forms of racing today. From Mini-Stocks to Outlaw Sprint Cars, reducing the sound level is becoming the norm. Today's racers are spending thousands of dollars to go racing. The last thing they want to do is get put on the trailer for too much noise. The Vortex Insert Cone can help keep you on track.

How It Works: The Vortex Insert Cone, installed near the exit of the header collector or muffler outlet, provides a large friction area to reflect and dissipate sound energy, thus reducing the dB level. The open area of the cone is actually greater than the area of the collector or exhaust pipe, thus reducing a backpressure condition. Because no significant backpressure has been introduced, the engine is still able to use the scavenge ability of a good header to creat horsepower and torque. Dyno and track testing show significant noise reduction with little or no power loss.
    Grant
    2000 Proton Yellow #756
    "THE UFO"
    Seattle, Washington

Wink

Glad I'm not the only one with "sensitive ears". These were the same thoughts I had on interior noise with the original catback (as well as the wheezenator).
    After Dynamatting I was not willing to put up with the interior noise. I was hoping the new muffler design would not have the interior sound.
    Grant, the vortex cone looks interesting. Usually there are no answers on these things till someone bites the bullet and purchases one & tries it.
    Last edited by Reg Hinnant : 05/22/2003 at 08:31 AM
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

PVault

So as I walked into the dealership to pick up my baby I noticed a bunch of eyes turn upon me. Now granted I'm long due for a shave and the AM is not my best time of day, I knew something was up...

I approached my mechanic who had a look similar to this ==>
    Apparently tinting and installing the PVault had created quite a buzz in the shop. I overheard somebody talking about "that custom exhaust system" heh heh...;pg;
    He held out the key and, as if in slow motion, in one smooth move I snatched them out of his hand and jumped in.

VRROOOOMMMMM. VRROOOOMMM!!
    WOW-I didn't anticipate having to bring a change of pants...
    This would have given that punk in the m*zda commercials an idea of what's really going on.

First impressions are I love it- I think I mainly notice more of the dB 'range' now as at cruising it just purrs but gettin' on it is loud and attention drawing. I know that this initial 'sharpness' will mellow so am not worried- but keeping my old one around nonetheless. The dragon just wants to go now too especially at highway speeds- engine feels like it has both lungs and just wants to run in it's new found freedom.

Thumbs up so far and worth the wait-but I will be performing a search on 'dynamat'...

-gruven
    Last edited by gruven : 05/22/2003 at 04:01 PM
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

I rode in Nocturnals VX with the old PV and there was absolutely NO interior noise. Even when he got on it I could hear it and it sounded great, but it was not offensive. Could there be that much variation in production that some PV's are coming out louder than others? Is the new style that much louder? I am still on the fence with this issue and now I am not so sure I want to take the chance of getting a loud one. My kid rides in the back seat and I don't want to expose her to excessive noise. The wind is loud enough at highway speeds.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Talking

Just got my PV put on. Cost me $37.84 to get it installed.
    Six inches of tubing and one bracket did the trick.
    Put my VX into "growl" mode. The guy that installed it
    wanted to know where I got all that red mud from. MOAB was great!

The brake light flasher is cool too. Thanks for the install Tone.

I need more skid plates before the next trip to Moab!
    ......and rock bars......and a lift......front locker? naw!

These trucks are great rides.
    Tru
    So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
    There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out.

Question

Analogvx, I really don't understand it either. I had the cat-back like Nocturnals and the interior noise was bad enough to put the original muffler back on. Strange!

Re: power vaults

Originally posted by SPAZZ
    Hey Rich, you heard mine, What did you think?
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I was at work and cleared my cookies so as to avoid another "good looking Jeep" incident and I forgot my password to log in.

Anyway...Yours sounded great from outside the vehicle. We only tooled around the campground for a few hundred feet or so for me to make a valid judgement. I detected a slight resonation at low rpm's but I can't make a really good observation without having riden in it at cruising speeds. Do you notice any drone at highway speeds? What about after you had the exhaust fixed?

Originally posted by Reg Hinnant
    Analogvx, I really don't understand it either. I had the cat-back like Nocturnals and the interior noise was bad enough to put the original muffler back on. Strange!
    Yea...I couldn't even detect a PV muffler until he nailed it.

Hey Tone...can we send it back for an exchange if the noise level is too high?

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    I originally thought the vast differences in what people have reported were due to differences in personal preference. Now it's starting to sound like quality control issues or inconsistency in manufacturing. HP gain is good, but resonance can get old very fast... especially on long trips. Been there, done that. I also wonder if installation (i.e. exact location and length of the muffler in relation to the rest of the system) could be the blame for the inconsistent results. Any engineer/physicist types here? It's been too long since my college physics courses for me to recall the specifics.
    Last edited by paultvx : 05/23/2003 at 12:29 AM

Any comparison comments from those who have heard both the PV1 and PV2? Louder, different tone?

I'm taking a 1250 mile trip this saturday. I'll let ya know if the noise gets to be too much. If its gonna be bad, this is when its gonna be noticed. I will also try to pay attention to whether the tone changes during this trip. All in all, I STILL think it soulds great.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!