Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New PV Impressions

Cool

Not yet
    NAVIGATOR

Talking

I just got my PV muffler today It was a pleasant surprise considering Tone usually notifies people with the tracking info and I didn't hear anything. It's much smaller than I imagined but I can see how this would outflow a Magnaflow muffler. Should get it installed within the next week or so.
    Deton8r's World
    '02 Axiom, Alpine s/c, Edelbrock SDT muffler, 20s

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    Tone was probably busy with the Moab trip.

Originally posted by deton8r
    Should get it installed within the next week or so.
    Well, whats gonna take so long?! Once mine shows up, it will be LESS than 24 hours before it gets installed. I have already made arrangments... they are just waiting for the call.

Is it here yet?!

Coach... aka Randy! <--STILL impatiently waiting!

Question

I got my PV muffler on Saturday and just now dropped the VX off at Midas to have it installed. The Midas tech said it would require some custom work to install it because it isn't an exact-fit replacement for the OEM muffler. Midas is charging me $85 for labor plus $10 for two flanges (about $110 total with tax). I pick it up in a couple hours.
    Grant
    2000 Proton Yellow #756
    "THE UFO"
    Seattle, Washington

Ouch - all they should be doing is cutting out the stock one and adding in about 6” of 2.5” pipe. Flanges are not required unless you want to be able to unbolt just the muffler from the existing pipe.

Got it installed and will be driving to Vancouver, BC today -- should be a good 300 mile RT to break it in. First impression is that it is very much louder inside the cabin; at certain speeds, the hum becomes a resonance that is tough to bear. I think it will mellow out after 500 miles as others have said. But, just in case, I saved that heavy, behemoth stock muffler. It does sound much more aggressive and has a "growl" at certain points. I haven't been able to open up the throttle yet to see how it performs. Also, I still have a stock air filter so that could restrict airflow until I replace it.

PVault

Arrived here in Nashville today safe & sound- looks to be very clean with good workmanship.

Thanks Tone for the updates & staying in touch.

Appt. made for install tomorrow AM (along w/tints ) so it will be a big day. Other than just "cutting out the stock one and adding in about 6" of 2.5" pipe" are there any other things I need to know? Just wondering if I could be missing any tricks to help keep dB & performance at reasonable/optimum levels.

-gruven
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Just a COMPLETELY off the wall question "What would happen if you dynomatted your muffler?" Just popped in my head after gruvens question. trying to keep the db down.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    I think the muffler is suppose to mellow out a bit after some time.

I am guessing you mean dynomatting the body just above the muffler. The amount of heat the dynomatt would be subject to... I don't think it will stick and will fall of in the long run.

Well, my PV showed up yesterday... it'll be on tonight... I'll check in later! TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Recieved my muffler last night, now I have to wait to get paid to throw it on.

Thank you

Just had mine installed this morning. First impression is that it's well-built.

It really growls during acceleration, but drops down to a purr when cruising. Can't say that I notice anything different power-wise 'cause the noise grabs my attention more than anything else. It's quite a bit louder than I was hoping for, but if my gas mileage improves as advertised, then I'll be more than happy to live with the increased noise. Still hoping it'll mellow out with time though.

Unhappy

The PV muffler seems too loud for my taste. When there's a load on the engine, the interior is so loud you can't carry a conversation or hear music easily. The VX startles people when it starts up. My PV now has 310 miles and it really hasn't mellowed as far as I can tell. I'll give it another couple weeks, but I'm afraid it's going to get me in trouble with the law at the current volume level. Not to mention the fact that its volume negates any improvement Dynamatting made. I saved my stock muffler in case I decide to switch back.

I think there may be a marginal gas mileage improvement, but I haven't filled up the tank yet so I don't have exact calculations. I'm guessing a 1 mpg improvement over stock.

I think it does add acceleration power, especially at higher speeds, but I can't justify the improved acceleration with the noise levels it generates.
    Last edited by Grant Eaton : 05/22/2003 at 05:50 AM

Mine was installed this afternoon as well... my first impression?! I love it! Yeah, its got a little growl to it, but I like it. Its not overly loud... can be heard... heck, I keep playing around with the go-pedal so I can hear it... my guess is my gas mileage will go down for the first tank or two. I will however be making a 1250 drive on Saturday alone, so I will be able to test gas mileage with that trip as well as tell ya if there is an issue with noise... my guess is no, it won't be a problem.

Grant-
    You must have super-sensitive ears. I didn't think it was that bad. And I doubt you would have trouble with the law... mine isn't near as loud as some of the rice crap out there... so its all good.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!