Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: They fit... the dang things fit!

They fit... the dang things fit!

Well, I came home from a week long business trip to find my Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/60-18") waiting for me. I'm not sure, but I think there was some doubt as to whether or not they would fit under a stock VX on stock 7" wide rims. Well, I have found out first hand that they indeed DO fit... and dang they look good. I'll dig my digital camera out today/tonight to take a couple pictures. BTW, does this board offer any hosting of pictures? I have an old Geocities account, but they don't allow direct image linking... kinda a PITA. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know... otherwise, I guess I'll just have to build a new page at my geocities web space. TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

How has the handling been effected? My main concern is that with tires that big you would get alot of tracking in road ruts. I'll also be interested to learn how they wear over time.

Post those pics...

Re: They fit... the dang things fit!

Originally posted by coachreed
    BTW, does this board offer any hosting of pictures
    Congrats on the tires.. You've made me look at them as an option but, I'm gonna wear the hell out of the OEM's in Moab first!

You'll find info on the intial membership here

Click on the gallery button and I believe you'll get your answer...
    Scott / moncha.com

i have had terra grapplers since november 2002 and put about 8000 miles on them. they look like they have minimal wear.it really looks like no wear but that is impossible.i get compliments on them all the time.i saw an ad on the back of a magazine,nitto is going to be making a mud tire that looks awesome.i checked there website and they have not listed it yet.that will be my next tire for sure. shawn
    1COOLVX

Question

How are those tires working out? No rubbing? I was thinking of getting them also, and wondered about fitting them on the 18" rim because it's only 7" wide. I'm glad to hear they fit. Pictures... ?
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Sorry its taken me soo long to get some pictures... couldn't find my digital camera... then I've been busy with other things... like my son. Anyway, I just edited down the pics to a decent size for those of you stuck with dial-up... of course, I'll have to worry about web developement later... take a peak...

http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000

As for problems... rubbing? NOT A ONCE! The VX rides great and handles great IMO. I absolutely love the tires... not to mention the fact that my Jeep friends like them too... even the one guy who'd hack on my VX for being a "not-a-jeep"... oh well... check it out and lemme know what ya think...

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Very, very nice!
    Glad you got to keep the stock 18"'s. What's next? Lift.....

Yeah, the next mod (mechanical) will be lift... but I think my audio/video system will be the actual next job. Gotta get lots of kewl stuff in there to keep the little man entertained during our long roadtrips... oh, and to keep me entertained while sitting out front of the house.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Gotta get me some of those tires!! Love that sticker too! Where did you find that at??

Ok, questions....

1. How are the noise levels compared to the Bridgestones
    2. How is the handling compared to the same

I really like the look of them but inquisitive mivds gotta know

Hiss-
    The sticker was cut down in our graphics production department at work. I have a couple more coming, including a full windshield banner.

Moncha-
    The noise is audible but in my mind, not that bad... heck, I actually don't notice it except that someone asked about that... but in comparison to the tires that were on it, a little more noisy. With the exception of HIGHLY cupped roads, at 75ish mph (where there is a little highway-wander), the handling is pretty much the same. It actually rides a lot smoother with the extra sidewall size. All in all... I love the tires.

Just FYI, I got the tires at Discount Tires Direct for $708 for the set of four delivered to my front door. For an additional $21 each, you can get a road-hazard replacement insurance.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Oh man, congrats on your tires... but boy does that steam me.

I called one of the local KC shops here (I see you bought yours at Jack Miller, so you're in KC as well?) - and they told me those tires would absolutely not fit... so I bought brand new Duelers about a month and a half ago.

Grrr... I really like the look of those tires. Anyone wanna buy a hardly used set of Duelers, less than 3000 miles on them?

Inaba-
    Yes your right... boght my VX at Jack Miller Isuzu/Subaru... I had talked to a few people before I bought the tires and I was told the same thing. I pretty much took my chances and bought them... worked out fine. Heck, I didn't have to do anymore modification that anyone else... just the little triangular cut on the cladding just in front of the front tires. I turned the wheel to see if it would clear and it would have JUST touched the tip of the tread. I guess I took the chances so everyone else can move this way if they want... YOUR WELCOME! BTW Inaba, do you ever get out and play in the dirt? I think some friends and I are going to head to Tuttle Creek out around Manhattan KS here in the next 2-3 weeks... time to go play. If your interested, your welcome to tag along. Same goes for anyone else who should be in the general area... maybe thats a subject for a new thread.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

I'm gonna see if I can sell my tires and get a set of those. I can get 'em locally here for $170/ea, not including mount/balance (of course).

I'm definitely interested in playing in the dirt. Just let me know when/where and I'm there, as long as it's not too early in the morning on a weekend ... I sleep pretty late

There's another proton around this area (I live in Gardner), but I don't know who owns it, and I've only seen them once. A couple friends across town say they see it every morning going to work. And I'm fairly sure a proton lives somewhere around Metcals/435 as I've had reports of sightings of it from people who think it's me... almost got into trouble with the GF one night because of it, doh!

Mebbe let's start a KC area mini-meet thread?

... must ... get ... grapplers ... arrrrrrg

Who'd you have mount and balance them and how much did it cost?

Hey! If your not doing anything tomorrow... lemme know. A couple friends of mine and I are gonna go play a little. If you wanna come out to the MO side, we'd love to have the company. I can be reached on my cell phone 816-935-4986... gimme a call.

Gardner eh? My girlfriend will be moving to Gardner at the end of the month. Might be seeing you sometime. We'll chat with you later.

Coach... aka Randy!