Thread: Loud "clunk" when shifting out of Park

Loud "clunk" when shifting out of Park

Hi all, this is my first time here. I've got a 99 VX and I'm having what I assume is a transmission problem. I've done some searching through the forum and I see that a lot of people have reported a loud clunking sound or hard shifting after they're already driving. I'm getting the clunking sound as well but it's happening when I shift out of Park into either Drive or Reverse or when I shift out of Reverse into a forward gear. I've noticed it for a while now but until recently it was never really serious enough that I was too worried about it. But within about the last month or so I've had some major work done. I had the rear end replaced as well getting new brakes all the way around. Since I got it back from the shop the other day I've noticed that the shifting noise seems a lot louder than it used to. I should mention that I'm not really mechanically inclined or knowledgable. So could this be related to the work I recently had done? Is this something I should worry about or is it something I can live with? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The symptoms you are describing are typically associated with worn U-joints; have those been checked?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    OR...did the person who replaced the rear end, properly tighten the bolts that hold the drive-shaft to the rear end ?
    Crawl under & see if U can wiggle the rear drive-shaft up & down(same test for U-joints)...anything more than zero slop is not good.

Don't know right now on either count. I'll see what I can find out in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions.

This has always been pretty normal for my VX. Even after I lube up the joints and check over all drivetrain elements. Solid as can be. It's a clunk that comes and goes. I notice it more when the VX has been in Park on an incline. My impression is, expect SOME clunk, as this tranny is pretty solid and tends to do that. It *IS* a truck afterall. You should keep all joining members well lubed up to keep the clunk at a minimum though.

Having the rear end replaced could lend another set of issues though. If the clunk is more apparent after the work has been done. I would take it right back to the shop that did the work. And dont settle for some undercover *we dont want to work on it* excuse, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

mine will also "clunk" out of and into park. I'm pretty sure its always done it... i havn't had any problems with the transmission or anything like that. i allways assumed it to be normal. just dropping into gear....

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    when i had that same problem, i had my tranny fluid changed and it completely fixed the problem.
    pbkid

I just had my tranny fluid replaced 5K miles ago, and this problem started up shortly thereafter. Now i'm getting the "check engine" and "check trans" lights on my dash. I'm taking it back to the fluid changers tomorrow to see if it's been leaking or anything, then to the dealer. I'll let y'all know what results.

Arrow

This sort of a general automatic tranny hint, but works especially well with the Isuzu 4X4 trucks:

When parking the truck don't move the gear selector directly to park before shutting down. Move the gear selector to neutral "N" for a brief moment, then on to park "P". In most cases you'll actually feel the torque converter and driveline unload when in neutral. This prevents the driveline from sitting under tension until you next use the vehicle, which is what typically causes the clunk when getting started.

When I got my first Trooper many years ago I would get startled when just sitting a light there would be a clunk noise and slight shift of the truck. I eventually learned this was the driveline unloading and perfectly normal. Ever since it's just been a part or being an Isuzu enthusiast. Except for the manual trannys, of course.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

wow, do you guys know how many hits you get on a search for clunk on this forum?
    And the solution at hand as well!

Drink two bottles and it won't bother you anymore!
    (in fact nothing wil)
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

I get the clunck. up to 51%

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I've got the "crunk problem" too.
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/23/2009 at 03:49 AM

I have this "clunk" and "jolt" when shifting from Park to either Reverse or Drive as well. After reading responses on it I guess i'll get my ujoints looked at. I thought it might be tranny related.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3