Thread: SHIPPING TIRES And/Or WHEELS

Lightbulb SHIPPING TIRES And/Or WHEELS

There's been a lot of discussion recently about shipping tires and or wheels on the forums recently, so I'd like to share my $.02 of experience.

There are a couple of simple ways to package these round things for shipment:

If you're sending wheels alone, it's best to get boxes slightly larger than a single wheel, wrap the perimeter of the wheel with cardboard slightly wider than the wheel, wrap that combo a few times with stretch-wrap (16 - 18 inches, available at Home Depot etc.) then secure in box for shipment. One wheel per box. These are heavy with hard edges and they're going to be thrown around and stepped on, so keep that in mind when packaging. This technique will protect them yet keep packaging light to save on shipping.

Stretch-wrap comes in all shapes and sizes, is inexpensive and great stuff to have around. And it never goes bad!

If sending wheels with tires mounted then find some square peices of cardboard larger than the wheel diameter and tape over both sides of the wheel making certain no metal is exposed. Double-layer if you'd like. Then take the handy stretch-wrap roll and start wrapping the tire front-to-back with about 30 - 50% overlap on each pass. This will enclose the wheel and tire plus keep the carboard in place. Make sure to pull the wrap with some stretch while you wrap! Stretch-wrap doesn't work properly unless under tension. Affix your label and put some clear packing tape over it with enough extra to ensure it's stuck to the stretch-wrap. Do each tire this way and you won't have to pay oversize charges because of weight.

If sending just tires you can use the above procedure omitting the cardboard and you can also stretch-wrap two tires side-by-side since they're lighter. "Oversize" charges through most carriers are based on a size and weight formula, so even though the package seems big it'll cost less as it's lighter.

The two most economical shippers for these have been FedEx Ground and UPS. As of this posting I did a comparison for one wheel with mounted tire from Florida to California and FedEx Ground was about $32 and UPS about $46. Don't go to a shipping store! You'll need to take your shipment directly to a FedEx Ground or UPS shipping hub to get these rates! I have heard from some friends in the race business that you can call for a pickup and get the same rates if you prepare your shipment online, but you'll have to create an account to do that or have access to an account.

If you figure the shipment online, remeber to indicate the package size as the diameter of the tire for width and length which will be the same. Width of the tire will be height. For example, an 18" wheel with stock Duelers that have about a 30' outside diameter and almost 10" width would make for a package 31"X31"X10", plus the actual weight. Don't worry that it's round, shipping corners is free.

Hope this helps! For those that ship tires and/or wheels please post what you were charges and the originating/destination locations to put some real-world data with this info.
    Last edited by Joe_Black : 09/14/2006 at 05:53 PM
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

New to this. Is it possible for the seller outside of this forum and very busy to just take 2 of my remaining tires to a fedex or ups store or usps office and ship them?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

Maybe you could have the butler gas up the Rolls & go pick em' up for you ???

-----Repeat: New to this. Is it possible for the seller outside of this forum and very busy to just take 2 of my remaining tires to a fedex or ups store or usps office and ship them?

-7 hour drive to the wheels uneconomical choice to drive and get them. Thanks.

Nice "How To" Joe! Now if you'd only finish the tranny filter change and Diesel engine swap HowTos, along with your new and improved "window fix" then we'd all be happy. Come on, get on the ball!!
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    Nice "How To" Joe! Now if you'd only finish the tranny filter change and Diesel engine swap HowTos, along with your new and improved "window fix" then we'd all be happy. Come on, get on the ball!!
    LOL! Yessir!

Actually will be working on the window fix this weekend and have been fiddling with the next installment of tranny-flush too. The diesel swap will have to wait for some more $$$ as I spent two diesels putting our daughter in a prep school this year. Of course for all the thanks I got from her I shoulda ordered the diesels!