Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: carbon fibre dashboard

carbon fibre dashboard

Some time ago I saw a posting about a carbon fibre dash kit for Japanese specification VX's can anyone direct me to that site?

Try this:

www.hm2.aitai.ne.jp/~vehi/index.html

I've been drooling over it; but I don't read/write japanese, and it looks like it is only for right hand drive models...perfect for you!!!

Rob A.

Thats about the cheapest looking fake fiber I've seen.
    Try one of these sites, at least they are a little bit better.

http://www.dashkit.com/
    or
    http://www.autodash.com/

They may not be great, but they are alot better than that.
    Its the thrill of the chase

Life would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinion... I kinda like the one piece construction instead of that stick on the dash stuff. Rob.

If i remember right, i believe that was done with the carbon fiber sticker stuff. Very time consuming, but doable yourself. Do search here or on the old board to find where to get the stuff.

That one on the japanese site was done with the stick on vinyl too. I used that kind to make some fiber "fangs" for the front of my truck. if you saw that brand up close, I'm sure you'd agree.

Posting pics for topic at hand. Some how I cannot see these stickers standing the test of time and sun exposure. I picture them peeling after a while but I could be wrong.

THESE ARE NOT MINE....

Live Free or DIE!

I think your right about the time thing. They do look better than the stock handles though.

Since opinions are popping up here (heh), my 2 cents says UHG. All that carbon fiber makes the dash look too noisy. A long car ride would probably feel like you were sitting in a plaid room for hours.

I dunno. I'm just not much of a CF fan I guess. I think if I had to CF anything, it would be the existing fake stuff that is factory (door inserts, instrument facing, etc).

(yes, I know I am a hypocrit since I have aftermarket CF shift knobs and pedals, hehe)
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I don't think you're a hypocrite... I think adding (real or fake) CF right next to the factory CF trim in the VX would look bad, because everyone will know that it's fake right then and there...

Those are pictures of the kit I bought from a place about a year ago and has not started pealing or fading yet. But most of you all are right that it looks crappy, I ended up taking off everything except for the pieces around the vents and some of the smaller stuff on the dash. It totally clashed on the door, as most of you saw. I wish they sold the kit in pieces, because I would of only wanted half of what they put in the kit for $175.

Good point vx69. I always wondered if that kit was pieced much. Apparently not. I think some of the pieces in the right places could look damned nice. Sorry to hear you ended up tearing much of it out though. At least you ended up using some if it.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    Originally posted by Randy712
    I don't think you're a hypocrite... I think adding (real or fake) CF right next to the factory CF trim in the VX would look bad, because everyone will know that it's fake right then and there...
    That's what I've been trying to tell people on Vmag when some guy tried to pitch a sale or two for kits from some place online. But people wouldn't listen. If you do a search on vmag you'll find the thread.

I've been down that road with dash kits once before and I gotta tell you... if you are very particular about your car, absolutely don't do it. When I tried it with my GTi few years ago, I didn't even go as far as putting it in the car. As soon as I openned the box and saw the actual kit, I knew right there and then it would look like crap. Don't let the glossy photos fool you. $50 for the kit perhaps, but most definitely not $175. I ended up selling what I had to someone who wasn't as picky and took a big loss.

BTW, Randy, the factory carbon stuff is not real. It's fake. The difference between that fake and the fake dash kit is the pattern. It's pretty obvious if you look at the pictures.

Of course it's fake, I know that. I just meant that unless they match perfectly, everyone will immediately know that one (or both) are fake, totally ruining the effect.

ladies and gents, i have the answer for all you problems. there is a web site that does custom carbon fiber coating. i was skeptical at first, so i called and got details. i asked for a sample. they sent a 1 inch by 1 inch piece. i matched pretty damn good to the factory carbon fiber. it is the answer to the tri-tone vx interior. i am currently seeing if i can get a group buy for us vxers so give me a week, but here is the link, check out the samples they look hot.

Frank

http://www.exoticwooddash.com/coating.htm