Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Subaru SVX

Subaru SVX

I saw one for the first time ever on the road the other day. Pretty neat looking car. I thought it was a Skyline at first, but noted the odd differences (windows, etc.). I know we have a lot of Subie lovers here. Anyone know anything about them? AWD? Good rallyxers?

Steve

theyre fantastic! that was what i was gonna get before i found my VX... they have a history of transmissions overheating though, also have a problem with the rear wheel bearings failing, so u end up with a nasty clicking from the rear axel.. other than that.. theyre really nice 3.3 liter H6 i think... they have AWD (at least on the LSI models.. but more than likely they all do) similar to the VX in a lot of ways actually, theyre heavy, have lots of power, have useless back seats (the front seat touched the back seat when i was driving (im only 5'7) and they were only available in automatic produced in a few colors and for maybe 5-6 years?... one might be my VXs little brother one day.. .i think their forum is www.subarusvx.com
    it hasnt been updated in a long time, but you can find some nice photos and info on them
    Last edited by etlsport : 09/02/2006 at 10:39 AM

the windows are supposed to keep the car aerodynamic even with the windows rolled down.. they create some wierd blind spots though

Yes- was looking at these before my VX also.

Test drove one and liked- later heard that the engines from these cars were prized by homebuilt aircraft guys.
    I sure don't see many around- about as rare as a VX sighting for me.

-gruven
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Wink

I've always liked them too...there is even one here in Cambridge Springs parked in a driveway. I've looked into buying one several times but could never find one in "pristine" condition (that was for sale!) like I'm sure the one in the photo above is. Plus, I'd want a manual transmission which you could get but, all except a couple I've seen were automatic.

I've seen them for sale on Ebay too along with the other car from the past I would like to own:

Chrysler Conquest TSI Turbo....twin to the Mitsubishi Starion Turbo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Jolly, afaik, they all came with autos.... the manual transmissions were aftermarket add-ons.

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    For years and years, I've been a fan of the Porsche 928 - and after test-driving a couple of them, dearly loving the experience, it only served to increase my (already burning) desire to own one...

However, after someone (who shall remain nameless) showed-up at Uwharrie with an SVX, and took 3 of us out for a (veeeeeery quick) grocery-run into town (exceeding 130mph a couple of times), and showed-off its amazing handling (hunkering down and never once showing a sign of leaving the road, even though it bloody-well felt like we should have been over in the trees, several times!) - I quickly changed my mind about the 928, and have wanted an SVX ever since!
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

Thumbs up

Smiley, 928's are plentiful and inexpensive. I got one back around '90 for next to nothing at an insurance auction. But if you're not on a first-name basis with your own automotive tools then it's probably not the car for you. They don't break often, but when they do it's always "interesting".

As for the SVX, very cool car and also plentiful and inexpensive. Transmission issues and general Subaru ignorance have kept their value low for the more mechanically inclined who appreciate unique vehicles that exist outside of the mainstream.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Don't quote me on this but I think some guys mentioned on NASIOC swapping a WRX or an STi 5/6spd tranny in dere. That would be pretty sweet. Even sweeter with twin turbos

i know that theres a twin turbo kit around for them.. supposed to boost to 350+ hp if rumors are true... might be an exaggeration.. but it would be fun!

We have a local, 40ish, type guy with a 928s. It's been in the shop 3 times now, for, front bumper cover, rear bumper, drivers window and sunroof. Everyone hides when it gets pulled into the back lot. Adventure is the proper term... every nut, bolt, screw,and fastner is a damn adventure. I'd rather put a starter in a Z3 again, than swap a facia on that Porsche. ( fact: both are loathsome jobs) Never got used to the front engine Porsche. Like the Cayane,at the time it saved the company from takeover. They made a lot of money on SUV and the front engine cars. I personally, lust in my heart (and every other body part) for a GT3

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I see SVX's on the road around these parts every few months. My aunt had one for a couple of years, but got sick of the low-down seating. I took a drive from CT to southern New Jersey once in it, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

But I'm a 928 man myself - although everyone I know thinks I'm more of a looking-for-a-928-man than an owning-a-928-man. One of these days...

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    I'd rather put a starter in a Z3 again, than swap a facia on that Porsche. ( fact: both are loathsome jobs)

Then you would've dearly LOVED to have been the guy that was charged with the task of repairing the brand new one that I hit with the company Dominio's delivery pick-up, back in 1985...

Ironically, it belonged to the son of the owner of a local competitor Mom & Pop pizza chain (that, at the time, Domino's was slowly driving out of business - and later eventually finished the job - but not before I crushed-in the front of their 928... like a son-of-a-B ) -- I lost my job over that one.

After that night, I'm surprised that I kept on liking 928s

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    I personally, lust in my heart (and every other body part) for a GT3
    I don't understand people's love for the GT3. It's the greatest driving-porsche, for sure, but when you get to that price range there are SOOOO many options.... the Noble M400, for instance.

BTW, I just signed up for the waitlist for the 2008 Lotus Esprit. 2800 lbs, 400 NA hp (BMW M5 engine), Lamborghini looks, and Lotus-tuned suspension all for under $100k. It's gonna be a sweet ride. I just hope my biz takes off and I make some serious bucks in the next couple years.

Can't speak for others, but in my case, I suspect it's genetic. Back in the sixties and early seventies, my dad drove Trans Am and some Can Am for O.B.'s Porsche up in New York. After I did the learners permit and test thing in moms Citroen DS21, I was allowed to take out the E type, and later the 911. One of the best days in my life was spent with pop, in the new ('71) Porsche, learning to do hot laps up at Watkins Glenn. Later that summer at Limerock, I discovered lift throttle oversteer. Never saw the old man shaken up before. I now know how scary the right seat is (I have a budding hotshoe of my own now) That is why the GT3. Wayne