Thread: halfmoon camera install

halfmoon camera install

[sorry in advance for what I'm sure is a well-worn topic; couldn't find this specific question in the archives]

I picked up an inexpensive rear camera on eBay, just to figure out how badly I need/want one of these things. With some posts talking about how tricky it could be to remove the half moon, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with installing a camera WITHOUT removing the half moon at all? The camera has several adjusting rings, so it wold seem all I would need is a round hole to insert it and tighten up. Possible? I haven't looked closely at this area in a while. May be difficult to seal up weather tight this way?

i would think just taking some silicone and putting it behind the outtermost ring would be enough to keep water out, there shouldnt be any kind of pressure forcing water in back there anyway

there is almost no way of installin teh camera into teh halfmoon wihtout taking off the halfmoon(there is but i dotn think the work/quality is worth it). u could always install it inside teh car. have it glued to teh rear windshield.

License plate camera's are what we use now and makes for an easy install. But removing the half moon is only 2 10mm nuts and 2 clips and is the right place to install it...

halfmoon camera

I'm in the process of installing a camera. Actually, found getting the 'moon' off easily by removing the 2 clips, 2 nuts, and carefully cutting the mounting tape on the circumference. Popped the lens rectangle out and installed clear plexiglass. May add tint. Looked at the wireless, and the specs said the signal could be weakened by interference. Decided to hardwire everything.

what has everyone been using to reseal their half moons when putting them back on? after removing mine it leaks like no other, causing water to get into my camera!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

3M Auto Trim tape. It's sticky on 2 sides. Put it around the entire perimeter and around the holes. Peel off the plastic layer and press into place. Get it right because this stuff really sticks.
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.