Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Filter

Tranny Filter

Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a fluid change on my VX soon, probably this weekend. I'm bring the VX to a friends shop and we are going to do it there.

I am going to go with Mobile 1 ATF. Is this the only 'fluid' product I need? I will probably be using Joe Black's awesome instructions for this also.

As for the tranny filter, can someone provide a part number so I know what I need to buy? I want to try to find this as soon as possible so I can have it for this weekend.

Any other links or pointers on changing the ATF in the transfer case and the tranny is appreciated. Pretend like I know nothing (cause I don't).

Thanks - Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    As long as you're at it, might wanna change the frt. & r. diffs. to synth. too.
    Don't forget some LSD additive for the rear.

Arrow

I haven't detailed a filter change on my instructions as it's just a fluid change, but hope to do a filter tutorial soon. If you look in my gallery there should be pics of the TOD/transfer case along with the diffs indicating drain and fill points. All three are pretty simple though, simply drain from the bottom and then fill to the fill opening. I've used Mobil-1 gear lube with excellent results, but you still need LSD additive for the rear. ATF goes in the TOD/transfer case.

Remember to disconnect your negative battery cable before you get started! Ya don't wanna get squished.

EDIT: Here's the gallery album with the drain and fill pics - http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...y.php?cat=3058
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Here we go:
    Tranny filter - part number 8-96015-062-0 ($84.89) (price was accurate as of several years ago when I've purchased)
    Andrey

Cool, I'll try to find that filter. Is that part number for a specific brand or is this just a general part number?

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Cool, I'll try to find that filter. Is that part number for a specific brand or is this just a general part number?

Thanks - Bart
    This is ISUZU OEM part, original. Not sure if anybody did aftermarket. If they did it will be cheaper but I guess the quality might be the same

Good luck !

I guess I might have to call upon Merlin for this....

Anyone know if there is an option for this that would be available at an Autozone or something?

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey
    This is ISUZU OEM part, original. Not sure if anybody did aftermarket. If they did it will be cheaper but I guess the quality might be the same

Good luck !

Arrow

It's the same tranny as in the Trooper, so you should find a cross but in the case of a transmission filter OEM is usually better quality.

I got my tranny filter at Autozone for like $24. NAPA wanted over $50. They even had it listed for the VX.

Yup! I just got off the phone with AutoZone here, they have 1 in stock and are holding it for me. $24.99. He even said it is OEM, is that possible?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Tobert
    I got my tranny filter at Autozone for like $24. NAPA wanted over $50. They even had it listed for the VX.

Pan gasket is a bear to change. I would strongly recommend the new inline filter that filters to 10 micron instead of the 60 micron of the stock filter.

Exclamation

An inline filter on the 4L30E is very ill-advised as the stock filter is on the suction side of the transmission pump whereas an inline filter has to be mounted on either cooler line, causing line pressure and potential blockage from the discharge side of the valve body.

Using an inline filter without the proper plumbing and additional pumps is a guaranteed opportunity to kill your transmission.

Tone, could you please elaborate here on why the pan gasket is difficult to change?

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Pan gasket is a bear to change. I would strongly recommend the new inline filter that filters to 10 micron instead of the 60 micron of the stock filter.

0_o

Joe, well, since they have the filter I need sitting at AutoZone, I will go with this one. Can you tell me if there is anything I need to remember/take note of when I change it?

Looks like you and Tone will have to duke this one out!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    An inline filter on the 4L30E is very ill-advised as the stock filter is on the suction side of the transmission pump whereas an inline filter has to be mounted on either cooler line, causing line pressure and potential blockage from the discharge side of the valve body.

Using an inline filter without the proper plumbing and additional pumps is a guaranteed opportunity to kill your transmission.

Arrow

Nothing to duke out, just difference of opinions. With a motorsports, marine and aviation background my line of thinking follows two doctrines: Keep it simple and Failure is not an option. I base my opinions on real-world facts and keep my yap shut shut until I've seen and touched actual data. I've made bad calls and mistakes, and I'm sure there's more in my future. I'm always willing to learn and see a different point of view, as long as it's backed up and not purely passion or flaming ignorance.

Now, as for changing the transmission filter: There is some clearance issues with a cross member under the pan. If you have the service manual that should give you a good idea as to what's involved, or you can sped some time laying under you VX and attempt to grok the situation. Failing either of those two just post here and I'll post up some pics and the relevant sections from the service manual.

Since you're planning on dropping the pan you may want to get your hands on a torque wrench as it's real easy to strip or break the pan bolts. One or two isn't critical, but it will annoy you to no end.

Oh, see if they have nylon gasket scrapers when you get your filter. One of the best tools to have for cleaning up gasket surfaces as it's virtually impossible to mess up and score or scratch the mating surfaces.