Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: dash light mods

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    No the bulbs for the gauges are totally different than the small bulbs that would need to be wired by the user. Since I wrote this reply though there has been quite a leap in products for these types of led upgrades. You no longer need to worry with resistors or rewiring, just get the right sized LEDs already made up for you from V-LEDs. There are 4 x 194 bulbs behind our cluster gauge (rpm, mph, etc), there are multiple of these bulbs inside the A/C:
    http://www.vleds.com/bulb/t3-t4-t5-b8-5d-led/amber.html
    And there is one of those in each button in the interior.
    Is it the same bulb for the "light" that shows if the Cruise is on or the Heated Mirror or the Rear Defrost?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Is it the same bulb for the "light" that shows if the Cruise is on or the Heated Mirror or the Rear Defrost?
    The light in the instrument cluster (gauges) that shows if cruise control is on or off is a "74" sized bulb. In fact all those indicator (dummy lights) are 74 sized bulbs.

The rear defrost bulb would be one of the "T" bulbs I provided the link for. You need to pull it out measure (in mm's) and compared with the detailed specs that V-LEDs provides.

The only bulbs that I would suggest checking on would be the side view mirror adjustment bulb. If I am remembering correctly that one was hard to figure out, but then again it might just be a "T" bulb, but I know that the power/winter buttons will need a little custom fabrication. Looking back on that one I think you might be able to modify one of the sizes (probably the smallest one) of the "T" bulbs and mak it work. You will have to discard the screw in base and wrap the leads around the custom installation of the bulb of the winter/power button.

BE VERY CAREFUL when you are disassembling the power/winter buttons as they are preloaded with a really small spring and ball bearing that will shoot out if you don't take your time.

Oh I also forgot to mention that there is 2 bulbs inside each of these buttons/switches that illuminate when pressed. One is just a "T" bulb, and the other is one of those "T" bulbs but has a green rubber tip on it. So I used one blue for the general illumination of the button and one white for the "on" position.

Thanks to etlsport, the littlebeast, and hughesdt for the posts and advice on this one. Just wanted to post an update on my progress. I ended up swapping out every light in the cabin with blue LEDs with the exception of the door open cabin light which I swapped for a white LED. In the process since I had the console out, I ended up tackling the project to swap the gauge faces for the electroluminescent Trooper faces in silver. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Swapping out the LEDs in the AC climate control unit was a bit of a pain, but I was able to remove the original green LEDs and replace with lovely blue new ones without too much of a hassle:

And console in progress:

A better shot of the AC unit. Button LEDs are a little too bright currently for my taste, so the next project is to change out the resistors to knock them down a little.

Wow!

I this the Web site you bought it from.
    http://www.makotoautotrends.com/chec...0vqsib30q69tm5
    whitebread

That my friend is POPPING!!! NOICE!

Yeah, that's where I ordered these. They are one of the last places on earth I think that still has some in stock.

I have been looking into custom printed EL gauges with a few different EL panel manufacturers and it seems achievable.

Thanks for the kudos everyone. Would not have been possible without this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebreadx View Post
    I this the Web site you bought it from.
    http://www.makotoautotrends.com/chec...0vqsib30q69tm5

Was it hard yo install the whole unit its self.... I had seen this a couple of mounth back but was too scared to attempt install

Oh and quick question how did you get your shifter like that... that is super nice

WOW that is sweet. Nice job

Installing the dash mods actually wasn't that difficult at all. I was a little wary of tackling the job, but I read through all the posts I could find here and decided that it was very doable. I would say it just requires patience. The hardest parts for me were the actual trimming of the gauge set to fit the Trooper gauges into the VX console. It is a bit of trial and error trimming bits off with an x-acto blade and a straight edge, then checking the fit and placement. The EL material is very thick. It's like multiple layers of sheet plastic. The other hard part is just making sure not to break off the plastic tabs when disassembling and reassembling the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebreadx View Post
    Was it hard yo install the whole unit its self.... I had seen this a couple of mounth back but was too scared to attempt install