Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: nice car headunit

i think were lucky enough it can run solitare.....maybe spider solitare......

Nice, but again...how much would the thing read from a usb drive? Anyone know?
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Ruflyf
    Nice, but again...how much would the thing read from a usb drive? Anyone know?
    Looks like I am going to have to email their tech support again...my guess is that it will be like the other one, with limited indexing capabilities (after all, its only $140), but my fingers are crossed.

I'll see what I can find out.

Bart

OK, for $80 at Walmart I might just have to try this unit. If you read the comments on that page you will see:

"I have had this installed and working awesome and flawless for over a year now...

Here are some questions to answer that they do NOT tell you:

1) It plays from FAT and FAT32
    2) SD and USB pendrive are awesome, songs may be kept in folders, individual.
    3) ID3 Tags! Wil display if present
    4) WMV and MP#, that's it...
    5) POWERED USB Port! I have a 60 gig laptop HD in a USB2.0 (usb-powered) adaptec case, and it powers and plays songs from ALL partitions (there are 3 F32 partitions on it)"

So it looks like this unit might be that answer to my dreams. There is a strong possibility I will be going to Walmart next weeks to pick one up, that is, if they still have them....

Bart

wow that actually does look good. Thats exactly what we were looking for. i might just pick that up.... its cheap enough.

Bart, that does sound like the solution

if anyone needs a harddrive and enclosure, I can use my discounting capabilities @ CompUsa. I figure I might at as well be the "hook up" somewhere.

SD and USB in a head unit would be GREAT features. I'll wait until the big boys (Sony, Pioneer, etc) catch on and provide 2 powered USB ports for portable HDD's that need a little extra juice. I'll also be waiting to see what methods of cataloging/indexing will become available as more and more folks start plugging portable HDD's and large flash media drives into their head units. I know that with 70 GB of music even my desktop has trouble presenting me with THAT many songs in a quick and easy format. At a minimum these things should have the ability to read playlists in several different formats and sort and filter based on title, album, artist, and genre.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Yeah, I can't tell 100% if this unit has powered USB or not. I may try to find it at Walmart just to try it out for a week (depending on their return policy). It would be a pain in the @ss if it turns out to be a crappy unit, but I think it would be worth a try anyway.

I know what you mean about how head units still have a long way to go with how they present large quantities of music. I have 300 GIGs of mp3s (like 40,000 songs) and indexing even a fraction of my collection on DVDr in my current JVC unit is a challenge.

What I really want is a quality head unit that supports voice recognition. Then I can just tell my unit what song I want to hear and at what volume level I want, etc.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    SD and USB in a head unit would be GREAT features. I'll wait until the big boys (Sony, Pioneer, etc) catch on and provide 2 powered USB ports for portable HDD's that need a little extra juice. I'll also be waiting to see what methods of cataloging/indexing will become available as more and more folks start plugging portable HDD's and large flash media drives into their head units. I know that with 70 GB of music even my desktop has trouble presenting me with THAT many songs in a quick and easy format. At a minimum these things should have the ability to read playlists in several different formats and sort and filter based on title, album, artist, and genre.

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    Overall, it's a pretty cool head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Wow, I haven't felt this let down since I saw The Matrix 2 and 3.
    Aww, c`mon… just the delivery of that one line from the Merovingian about the beauty of cussing in French was alone worth the rental fee!
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

Any movie with Monica Bellucci is worth the rental fee - although she usually gets a little more naked than she did in those flicks.

Cool Wal*mart Report...and happy 4th.

So I stopped in my local Wal*mart yesterday. They had the head unit on display but they were out of stock. There was no price tag on it either. The (no so very) helpful employee told me it cost $150. I think he was probably wrong. So, I will have to find another Wal*mart and check there. The unit actually looked fairly nice, but who knows.

Bart

alright guys................ in installed the headunit http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/30/...u-does-digital/
    throwing some songs onto a 50gb mobile lacie HDD. The radio does provide power through the USB so i know it works I just had to get a utility to format in fat32 which windows xp does not do. i should have some pics and review a lil later

Yeah, please let me know how this goes, and give us a complete review :yesg:

After going to 2 Wal*marts and finding that they have the unit on display but were out of stock (or not restocking) for some reason I did not end up getting it. And then I started thinking again that I should just bite the bullet and assimilate into the portable MP3 player world (not fully though, I refuse to buy an i-POD, if I do, I will go with one of Creative's devices).

Because my $350 JVC unit really does kick @55 and it has an aux-in jack on the front, I figured I should just get the portable device so I could use it while jogging, or riding the train.

I'm still on the fence though, as you can tell.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by 9tinyfingaz
    alright guys................ in installed the headunit http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/30/...u-does-digital/
    throwing some songs onto a 50gb mobile lacie HDD. The radio does provide power through the USB so i know it works I just had to get a utility to format in fat32 which windows xp does not do. i should have some pics and review a lil later