Thread: I just had a heart attack

I just had a heart attack

A friendly reminder to ALWAYS check your PCV valve at every oil change.

When I brought my VX in for warranty work, the dealer did an oil change without asking me. I got around to doing one of my own using synthetic again, and in the process changed out the PCV.

I took off the plastic cover and went to grab the spring clip around the hose that connects to the PCV. I barely tugged on the hose to slide it off the barb when the top half separated itself from the part still in the engine. When I got the bottom half out carefully using pliers, I snapped the valve back together again, and did the "rattle test" and it failed. Thing was gooped up inside and wouldn't budge.

Interestingly enough, my oil was 1.5qts low when I drained it after 1250 miles.

I could have strangled the dealer for putting dino juice in my baby without even asking me first.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Ba$tards!

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I just had a TON of maintenance work done on my baby, and even though I had just replaced the PCV and EGR valves before Moab, the service tech said that both of them where already full of carbon. This happened because I didn't clean out the tubes leading to both valves. The tech said that if the tubes aren't cleaned out every time you service the PCV and EGR they could get clogged with carbon again within as little as five miles (he may have been exagerating here, but the point was made).

So...if you're servicing your EGR or PCV, make sure to clean the tubes out too.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

so how do you clean out the tubes leading to the PCV? spraying carb cleaner? if i do that do i just let it drain into the engine or do i need to remove the hose entirely and clean it out away from the engine?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan_VX
    A friendly reminder to ALWAYS check your PCV valve at every oil change.

When I brought my VX in for warranty work, the dealer did an oil change without asking me. I got around to doing one of my own using synthetic again, and in the process changed out the PCV.

I took off the plastic cover and went to grab the spring clip around the hose that connects to the PCV. I barely tugged on the hose to slide it off the barb when the top half separated itself from the part still in the engine. When I got the bottom half out carefully using pliers, I snapped the valve back together again, and did the "rattle test" and it failed. Thing was gooped up inside and wouldn't budge.

Interestingly enough, my oil was 1.5qts low when I drained it after 1250 miles.

I could have strangled the dealer for putting dino juice in my baby without even asking me first.
    That will happen when the pcv valve sticks. It will suck the oil from the valve cover. That is why my PCV valve is gone. No more worries. I did notice that the other line from the valve cover also had some oil in it. But I haven't had time to take care of it. I plan on either installing another breather or connecting to the one I already have on the other side. Shawn
    1COOLVX

No sucky sucky here...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

so how do u clean it?

dont bother cleaning the pcv valve....just buy a new one for a couple of bucks.......

in another post it says that if you dont clean the tubes leading up to the pcv, your pcv will become clogged again after just a few miles... how do you clean the tubes leading up to the pcv?