Thread: Xterra Rims

Question Xterra Rims

Hey, has anyone tried fitting stock 2000 Nissan Xterra rims on their VX? I am 99% sure the bolt pattern is the same. I think it's just a matter of the center bore fitting...

I ask because the VX I just bought needs new tires pretty bad, and I will be buying new rims soon as I really don't care for the stock 18" rims. My 2000 Xterra is in the process of getting fixed has brand new ProComp A/Ts on its rims, and I plan to remove those tires and put them on whatever new rims I get for the VX. But I am wondering if the Xterra rims will fit on the VX in the mean time until my new rims arrive...just a curious thought.

Bart

are you looking to sell the stock 18s? if so, have some pics.. mainly worried about peeling, the peeling on mine is startin to come around to the front of the rims

Actually, I have no plans to sell my 18s. I am going to keep all my stock parts, just in case. You never know when you will need them. Plus, while I don't really care for the 18s, I don't HATE them. I would eventually like to get a real nice set of street tires for them so I can have a change of shoes for my VX every so often. Plus, I had one of the tires off last week, and they are starting to peel on the inside of the rim. I'm not sure what I can do about this!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    are you looking to sell the stock 18s? if so, have some pics.. mainly worried about peeling, the peeling on mine is startin to come around to the front of the rims

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Ah, the peeling chrome -there's really nothing that you can do about it. Do a search on Peeling + Chrome.

As for the X's wheels, they will fit for sure if:
    Your Xterra has manual locking hubs and,
    they are 16" diameter.

If they are 15s, you may have to relieve the inside of the rim a bit to clear the upper control arms.
    If they are from an auto hub truck, the hub bore may be just a tad too small -this can be cleaned up with some creativity and a Dremel.

Search for " A lift and tires that work" -my rig has 2003 Frontier wheels on it.
    Also search for pics of Joe Black's Dragon -it has 15" Frontier wheels on it. He goes into detail about what was required to make them work.

The newer Nissan wheels have a slightly smaller bolt circle (the Frontier, Pfinder, X) and won't work for us. Sucks too, because I wanted those Nismo wheels...

Hey, its actually your post that gave me the idea

How do I know if it has manual locking hubs? I am 90% sure they are 16" rims. I don't want to alter the Xterra rims in any way because as soon as the repair work is done, she is getting sold. And by then I will have my new rims for the VX and the Xterra stock rims will go back on the Xterra. The tires however I will move onto the new VX rims, that is, if they fit, which I think they will. I really want to keep the ProComp A/Ts I have on because I JUST BOUGHT THEM and they probably don't even have 10,000 miles on them.

Thanks for the input.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    As for the X's wheels, they will fit for sure if:
    Your Xterra has manual locking hubs and,
    they are 16" diameter.

If they are 15s, you may have to relieve the inside of the rim a bit to clear the upper control arms.
    If they are from an auto hub truck, the hub bore may be just a tad too small -this can be cleaned up with some creativity and a Dremel.

Search for " A lift and tires that work" -my rig has 2003 Frontier wheels on it.
    Also search for pics of Joe Black's Dragon -it has 15" Frontier wheels on it. He goes into detail about what was required to make them work.

The newer Nissan wheels have a slightly smaller bolt circle (the Frontier, Pfinder, X) and won't work for us. Sucks too, because I wanted those Nismo wheels...

Peeling chrome+Black powder coating =
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Arrow

I have 15" Xterra/Frontier rims that my off-road rubber is on, and as mbeach mentioned there is minimal contact but easily remedied with a Dremel. So 16" will pose no issues, just watch that center bore diameter as even the manual-hub wheels are tight. Again, the Dremel is your friend. Talk to a local machine shop first before investing in anything with a smaller bore.

Note the clearance between the front wheel and the brake caliper in the above photo, these are the 15" Nissan wheels with Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ tires in 30X9.50 size.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Hey Joe, those look pretty sweet. But as I said above, I'm no expert, and I really don't know what you guys mean by "manual lock hub wheels" What does this refer to?

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    I have 15" Xterra/Frontier rims that my off-road rubber is on, and as mbeach mentioned there is minimal contact but easily remedied with a Dremel. So 16" will pose no issues, just watch that center bore diameter as even the manual-hub wheels are tight. Again, the Dremel is your friend. Talk to a local machine shop first before investing in anything with a smaller bore.

Note the clearance between the front wheel and the brake caliper in the above photo, these are the 15" Nissan wheels with Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ tires in 30X9.50 size.

Arrow

Manual locking hubs are where you have to actually turn the actuator on the hub for 4X4 drive, whereas with auto-locking hubs you do everything from inside the vehicle. Manual hubs typically have a larger outside diameter and consequently wheels fitted to them with have a correspondingly larger center bore.

Isuzu just has plain beefy parts, so the center bore diameter is always an issue when we wheel hunt.

OK Yeah, I just did some reading and it seems like the 2000 4x4 Xterra has auto locking hubs, and thinking about it, I never had to do anything with it when I switched to 4x4 other than shift from inside the vehicle...so I guess I am SOL there. No big deal though, it will just motivate me to get my rims sooner anyhow.

Thanks - Bart

Manual locking hubs are where you have to actually turn the actuator on the hub for 4X4 drive, whereas with auto-locking hubs you do everything from inside the vehicle. Manual hubs typically have a larger outside diameter and consequently wheels fitted to them with have a correspondingly larger center bore.

Isuzu just has plain beefy parts, so the center bore diameter is always an issue when we wheel hunt.

Definitely take a measurement first before you write off the wheels, they may only be slightly smaller. I don't have any experience with the auto-locking hubs, but if the difference is minimal you could still use the wheels and just take to a machine shop to get them enlarged properly. Just take one to the machinist before committing as they can tell you if it's possible or not.

Yeah, I will check, but I am not going to alter the Xterra rims as they will eventually need to go back onto the Xterra before I sell it. I was only thinking of using them temporarily until my VX rims come in.

Thanks for the info.

Bart

Definitely take a measurement first before you write off the wheels, they may only be slightly smaller. I don't have any experience with the auto-locking hubs, but if the difference is minimal you could still use the wheels and just take to a machine shop to get them enlarged properly. Just take one to the machinist before committing as they can tell you if it's possible or not.

Arrow

Altering the center bore diameter won't have any effect on replacing them back on the Xterra.

Anyone know about the newer non-4WD Xterra rims? I arrived in Germany and was told at vehicle inspection my tires stick too far out. Was going to use her 2012 Xterra stock rims and tires to get through inspection if feasible.
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com