Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shifter mods

shifter mods

I've finally got time/money to finish upgrading my shifters, I'll probably go with a razo shifter, or similar, for the manual look, which means ill want to put a shift boot over the AT shifter. those of you who have done this, any tips or things i should know before I buy/ start installing the boot?

also, anyone whos changed out their stock shift boot for the 4wd willing to sell the stock/ know if it would fit over the AT?

Wink Check out my gallery..

Here is a pic of my set up. Got the boot & knob out of an old Trooper and/or Rodeo, your price may vary, got mine for free
    Last edited by Navigator : 05/26/2006 at 06:45 AM
    NAVIGATOR

definately like the way the boot looks a lot more than the gear display, especially with one on the dash already. how did you attach the boot to the underside of the console? i havent had the chance to really look yet, but its always helpful to start looking with a few ideas to begin with

p.s. where is bemo? or would that be baltimore... i bought my vx in frederick md, and have it down there once or twice a month

Arrow Boot Install...

1. remove knob

2. remove console

3. slip on boot

4. re-install console & knob

There will be plenty of boot material to give it that baggy look, tweak it from above until it looks right, then tighten up the console. The console holds the boot in place. It's really that simple.

have my shift boot now.. im just looking for a good auto shifter, anyone know where to get a low priced push down shifter (like the RA94 w/ no button) i love the look of not having a button.. but also dont want to pay 50+ for the knob.. or how complicated would it be to take a manual shifter and add a spring to make it work like the RA94

this is turning out to be a bigger project than i thought, shifter came today (and its awesome.. you're all gonna be jealous ) but it doesnt fit over the shifter rod (on the auto trans) so i went after the piece that goes over the shaft with my dremel then realized theres no way my dremel will be able to bore out the whole thing (too deep) so has anyone shaved down their auto shifter rod?.. or know the size of it so i can take my new knob into a shop and just drill it out on a drill press

Etlsport, If you have already started boring the shifter I would think getting it clamped in a drill press for a few minutes couldnt be too expensive. I'd do it for free if you were local. As for the size, bring your stock shifter with you so they can match the bit size.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

digging through my toolbox looking for somethin to sand the edges (so i dont crack the chrome while drilling) i actually found a bit that is perfect size (5/8" i beleive)... so now all i need is to find someone to let me use their drill press for a few minutes.. soon as its done ill be posting pics

Arrow all done!

got it bored out today and installed... me likes! didnt cover the shifter rod or the square hole yet... but im tired, ill do it tomorrow.. in the meantime...
    Last edited by etlsport : 06/06/2006 at 08:20 PM

Good job, etl. Looks pretty spiffy. Now, who makes your brake and gas pedals? I am about to upgrade my interior and they look like just the thing for my Proton. Thanks!

the pedals are actually APC (got em at advanced auto)... the brake petal was a royal PITA to attach, only 2 of 4 clips fit on at a time because the stock brake petal is so small, what i ended up doing is getting small pieces of steel to "extend" the brake petal so it reached, ill see if i can get some pics that show what i had to do

Looks nice.
    So you bored out the knob, not the shifter shaft, ight?

What's with that climate control panel? That isnt stock... I like it.
    1999 Lotus VX Ironman Edition
    It's fun to rebadge...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TEN36VX
    What's with that climate control panel? That isnt stock... I like it.
    Well...yes it is, the 00 & 01 models have climate control, just us "99'ers" have the "Flintstone" HVAC controls.

yep climate control is stock for now (will be changing the color of the lights soon i hope)... and yea, i ended up drilling out the collar of the shift knob with a hand held drill at very low speeds to cut down on heat, drill press was just too powerful and kept throwing the collar out of the vice...i used a 9/16" drill bit in case anyone else ever needs to do similar