Thread: Anyone running ARs?

Question Anyone running ARs?

Hey all,

Anyone out there running American Racing rims?

I saw a few threads about ARs but nothing definitive. I am torn between the AR Chamber rims (roughly $220 each) or the much cheaper Rock Crawler rims.

So, I am wondering if anyone out there is running ARs and if so, what size exactly. I will be going with 16s or 17s, but I just don't know enough about all this technically (I am trying to learn however). It seems like the 110mm hub size is an issue for us VXers, so I wanted to check with everyone and see if anyone has been successful with ARs.

I need to make up my mind soon, because the tires on my 2001 that I just bought are in need of changing asap. Anyone who can help me make up my mind? I am leaning towards the Chambers because they just look too sweet, but if they are 100% not compatible, then I will be saving a lot of money and going with the Rock Crawlers.

Thanks! Bart

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...oy&section=ORT

or

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/produ...HEELS&man=TECH
    Last edited by nfpgasmask : 05/13/2006 at 10:13 AM Reason: notification type

If the ARs will work I think these would look really good on the VX...
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well, no one really replied here so...

....I e-mailed American Racing directly. I told them I have a 2001 VX and that I am interested in their Mojave and Chamber rims. I also told them about the 110mm hub size.

This was their reply:

"Thank you for your interest in American Racing!

Unfortunately we do not offer any wheels to fit your application, sorry.

Sincerely,

American Racing
    info@americanracing.com"

WEAK! Looks like I will be going with Rock Crawlers. Does anyone out there know for sure? Sometimes I wonder if the people answering emails like this are basically just too lazy to actually find out...but then again, if the manufactured says no, then no it is...

Bart

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I had a difficult time finding any wheels other than the Chamber that fit the VX.

I was looking simply for a large bore (108mm) wheel, 6x139.7 PCD, with an offset of +20 or greater.
    The only ones that even came close were some 18"plus blingers.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    I had a difficult time finding any wheels other than the Chamber that fit the VX.

I was looking simply for a large bore (108mm) wheel, 6x139.7 PCD, with an offset of +20 or greater.
    The only ones that even came close were some 18"plus blingers.
    Wait, so are you saying you have the Chamber rims fitted on your VX? If so, can you post pics and give me the exact specs for the rims you bought? I really want the Chamber rims the most, but I don't know if AR makes ones that will fit....

Thanks -Bart

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    There was only one model/part number for the Chamber wheels that would work.
    1085-6884 16x8 +20 offset. They are for the Canyon/Colorado, which, I am 90% sure, has the large bore hub.
    The +20 offset, combined with the extra 1" of width will make them stick out @30mm more than stock rims. (.5" plus the 18mm offset change).

I could not find them locally -plus, for the $1000+ that they would have cost, I can do better than American Racing.

Since my summer wheel/tire combo is going to be based on a 16" size, I found some eBay rims off of a 2003 Nissan Frontier SC in 16x7. They are actually 7.5" wide, made by TSW, 20lbs each. I stripped them this week and painted them bronze. They go on tonight with some 265/75 MTs.
    Total cost for all 4 wheels = $200.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the 1085-6884 are not even the black ones, and if I am going to spend $200+ per rim, I'm not gonna buy something that I need to powder coat as well. I guess I am stuck with Rock Crawlers!

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    There was only one model/part number for the Chamber wheels that would work.
    1085-6884 16x8 +20 offset. They are for the Canyon/Colorado, which, I am 90% sure, has the large bore hub.
    The +20 offset, combined with the extra 1" of width will make them stick out @30mm more than stock rims. (.5" plus the 18mm offset change).

I could not find them locally -plus, for the $1000+ that they would have cost, I can do better than American Racing.

Since my summer wheel/tire combo is going to be based on a 16" size, I found some eBay rims off of a 2003 Nissan Frontier SC in 16x7. They are actually 7.5" wide, made by TSW, 20lbs each. I stripped them this week and painted them bronze. They go on tonight with some 265/75 MTs.
    Total cost for all 4 wheels = $200.