Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scam?

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970

Scam?

This character has emailed me the following....

Hi

i am interested in buying car and i will like you to send the pics
    and also
    mail me the general condition of it with the final asking price of it.

pls mail me back so that we can discuss more about it.

Thanks

So I responed with some generic info on the car, and he came back with this....

Hello
    Thanks you very much for your urgent response, i have seen the pics, and i have relay it to my client and is very interested in buying it, and i have already explained everything to him about the car and .he requested for your name and address with your phone number so that he can make the check for you.because he is paying with a Money Order which is easy to cash.i will also arrange for the shipping agent who will come for the picking up at your house.when the check clears.
    thanks for your co-operationl

Seller beware?

This guy hit me up on another website....not this one....
    The price you pay to be different......

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    It smells more than a bit fishy to me.
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

scam...

smells like....

SCAM!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Scam...

Scam

Id be worried about giving out my address. dont want random people to show up at my house.

You could have them send the money order, see if it goes through. Then- and only then- once its been throughly processed and there is no chance its gonna bounce, arrange delivery.

but it does sound like a scam.

walks like a duck...smells like a duck...

This is going around the net. My buddy was trying to sell his Ford Escape and got the same type of reply. He exchanged info. Two weeks later he gets a money order for 18000$, 6 G's over what he asked for. He brings it to me and it looks like a scam, like it was printed off a computer. First the guys claims he is from Ireland, but the money order is from a Montana bank with a cheap looking Florida water mark that disapears when you hold it to light. The amount was hand writen, not printed. The paper was cut on 3 sides precise, but on a 4th side it looks like he tried to fake a proliferated edge like it was torn out of a "check book", which makes no sense for a money order. He took it to his bank and they said it was fake and they are investigation it asap with federal law agency. The envelope it arrived in was not from overseas, but no return address was writen. Scam.

Angry It happened to me!

The same thing happened to me a bout a year and a half ago. What's wierd is the letter/email you got was almost identical to mine. I did get a cashier's check and went to the bank. Feeling something wasn't right (they sent it for too much and wanted me to send them the balance back to them in a M.O.) I asked the bank to check it out. They got in touch with the local authorities, the FBI I think, and found out this was probably a scam. I basically lost $14.00, in paperwork fees, but I went with my gut instinct and foiled their plan to get my vehicle and cash. I would send any info you have so far on these people to your bank and/or local authorities. I hope it all works out for you.

I received $8000 in checks from overseas for my old ML parts - 1 Cashier's Check and 2 Postal Money Orders that looked legit and the bank cashed. I sat on the money for 5 weeks and sure enough, they were bad. I of course had not shipped anything and got the bank to release the balance of my funds after they got theirs - seems they don't take lightly to $8000 worth of bad checks! Wire transfers are the safest as the bank carries the liability.

Quote Originally Posted by XCross69
    ...because he is paying with a Money Order which is easy to cash.i will also arrange for the shipping agent who will come for the picking up at your house.when the check clears.
    thanks for your co-operationl...[/I]
    Outside of the grammer and spelling, the kicker for this is the above quote.
    The typical variation of the "I send you money order (Easy to cash , trying to get you off-guard) the the shipping agent will come pick up.. SCAM.

The way it'll work out is, the money order will be made out to you for too much $$ (The extra was to be sent to the shipper but, got to by "accident"), you are to cash the order, send the difference to the shipper (Who would never show up and may even call you and try and strongarm you in to sending the cash) and you are left with the whole pile of do-do in your lap. Even if the order cleared the first time, it would come back eventually as bad and bingo, you get stuck with it. The bad guy, goes away with something for very little effort if not nothing.

Everyone, learn from this... Especially from an out of state or country "Buyer", unless they give you cold hard cash in hand, DO NOT take cashiers checks, money orders, or even personal checks.. way to easy to counterfeit them.. If you get a scheme that looks anything like this one as described... I most likely will be a SCAM! I work around 20-30 of these a month in my little po-dunk town so in a major metropolis just think how many are done... EEEEK!
    Scott / moncha.com

I got several of these when I was selling my wife's 3000 GT vr4. The key is they always end up asking to give you more than you are asking, and get an immediate refund for the balance (the scam). From what I understand they are never really interested in stealing your car at all. The early tipoff is some kind of story involving a "client" who has already given them the check/money order for a certain amount and asked the "agent" to find them a car.

Just delete these as they come in, worthless predators.

Oh, one more thing, they often contain incorrect English grammer.

wow, they are not even hiding the scam...WTF???

They didn't include the fact that it would be a counterfeit payment method...but they just openly include the overpayment.
    I received the below from my local online classified adds. Not anything small, but our actual large newspaper type.

Hello.
    I am interested in immediate purchase of your item,but before i proceed on
    this transaction i will like to ask some question as follow. i can only raise
    cashier check or money order for the payment of your item so i will like to know
    if the item is still available and also if is in good condition Please your
    answer on this, will enable me to issue your payment to you asap 1) Do you
    accept a ( Cashier Check / Money Order ) as a mode of payment? 2) What is the
    firm price of the item? 3) Will you let our shipping company to come to your
    house for the pick up of the item? 4)I will want you to kindly get back to me
    now with your contact info where you want the payment to address to.i mean your
    name and address and your contact phone number. 5) Will you be able to send the
    excess fund back to the shipping company via western union money transfer same
    day you recieve the check. 6)Your name and address that the payment will be sent
    include your e-mail addess with it.
    Regards..
    Last edited by SPAZZ : 10/11/2006 at 08:05 AM Reason: adding

Ok, now that IS an idiot!!! They don't even understand the concept of the scam in itself...

ScAmMeRs are bad enough, but this is a clear example of a copy cat scammer.. What a nincow-poop!!!!

Thanks SPAZZ for the additional info.

Be carefull out there!!!

no problem.

this was a reply from z idaho.com classifieds

I notified them, they said thanks & they forwarded my complaint to the proper department. I hope they bust that idiot.

this thing happened to me a couple a days ago. Guy mail me a "check" on $6000 for my dad's old car ( which is $2000). He was like: take your part and send rest of the money here and there for shipping. I was lucky that I wanted cash in bank so they realize that all that was SCAM. If I just deposit check on my account I would lose car and $6k. (because when bank find out that check is fake they take your money).

There is one more thing that happened to me just the other day.
    Guy is selling a 2003 BMW X5 (worth $33000) for $17500. He "lost" his job etc.. He doesen't even have a phone so he e-mail to me.
    And he wants $8500 up front for car before he even show me this car.
    Apparently, car is locked in garage in Phoenix,AZ, he lives in New Jersey, and he place add in Alaskan newspaper.
    Sounds good to be true huh?