Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear Door Popper Question...Again

Let me look through the CD tonight to see if there are any other pictures. I seem to remember there being some additional information because I had the same question(s) that you do. I know there is a picture of the items in the kit that I can get to you.
    If it comes down to it I can take a picture of the popper installed in my VX and get that to you.
    Stay tuned....
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Thanks...I have pics of the one that I installed on my Dragon when we both lived in CO. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I get started.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Got caught up in New Year's festivities (like going to bed before midnight) and didn't get a chance to search the CD. I'll look through it tonight and let you know what I find.

Thanks Mark...no hurry. I don't have my parts that I ordered yet.

Hey Mark, Do you know of anyone that used the OEM keyfob to use as a remote for the rear door popper? I think that I can do some electrical changes so that the first press unlocks both door and the second press pops the rear door. Thoughts on making this actually work?

Earl,

SORRY that I've been so lame. Don't check in with the .info site that often and I have forgotten to check all of my rear door popper info for you.

My rear door popper works as you are describing with the OEM key fob. Using the OEM key fob if I press the unlock button once both driver and passenger doors unlock. If I press it again then the rear door popper triggers. At least that's how I remember it working. Vicki has been sitting in the garage for a LONG time now while I tore the interior out in order to get the roof repainted. Now I have to put everything back together (good thing I took pictures of the disassembly).

I think there is an "Option" button on the remote, but I think that links into the Isuzu garage door opener interface.

I'll have to dig through my information to see if I can find the instructions on how to make the second press of the unlock button trigger the back door popper. I'm not electrically savvy enough to figure it out on my own so someone had to send me instructions on how to do it.

WOOHOO!!! Found what I was looking for in an older thread about the rear door popper started by Raque Thomas.

Check out post #23 in this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...t=popper+works

This is the wiring diagram that will allow you to trigger the rear door popper with the OEM key fob.

Earl, been re-reading the thread that I linked above (it's like going down memory lane).

There is an extended wiring diagram in post #35 that links the rear door popper wiring diagram and the key fob wiring diagram together so that one might help a bit more.

This is perfect...thanks Mark.

Hey Mark. I tackeld this over the evening. I followed your wiring diagram on the other thread with no success. I went back to not using a switch for when the VX is running and just have the door lock button and the key fob using the original diagram in the posted link. Did you get this to work with the OEM T-gate switch? I'm going to install the OEM switch as a stand alone instead of in-line with the others. Thanks for all of your help.

Earl, the VX is laid up in the garage waiting to be put back together after having some rust spots on the roof repaired and the roof repainted. It has been a while (years) since it has been together and out of the road and I honestly don't remember how the rear door popper works now.

I know it does work with the OEM t-gate switch, but can't remember the sequence. I know one press of the unlock button on the key fob unlocks the driver and passenger doors. A second press triggers the rear popper.

Here's where I can't remember how things go. I know I can press the t-gate switch to trigger the rear popper, but I'm not sure if the other door(s) need to be open or closed. I know the little indicator light on the switch comes on when the rear door is open, but I think it also comes on when the other doors are open as well because of how I have things wired. I THINK if that little indicator light is on the switch won't work so it would stand to reason that if one of the doors is open I can't trigger the popper by pressing the switch.

I can't remember what I disconnected to get the interior out of the car to have the roof painted, but I'll head out there and see if things are hooked up. If they are I'll play around with the switch and the popper and report back on how/when it works.

Thanks Mark. I never thought about trying it with the doors closed...let me wire it back up like your diagram and try it that way with the doors closed. I did my roof on the Dragon years ago...that interior removal is a real exercise in frustration sir.

I hope you get her back on the road soon.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Earl, it's been so long that I can't remember how it works on my VX. I remember wanting to wire it so it wouldn't open if I was driving down the street and accidentally hit the release button on the dash since it is close to my fog light button (also OEM).

Let me know what you find out and I can get mine cobbled back together to see how it works if I need to.

So I got this done this weekend. I used the 5-pin relay already there for the key fob mod. Instead of using the always on power from there I ran an additional ignition dependent power supply. By doing it this way it take the key being on and two pushes of the button to activate the door. The first push powers the relay and the second activates the rear door solenoid. Got it all hooked to the dash lights and it works great. Key off uses OEM door lock switch. Key fob unlocks both doors on 1st push and 2nd push releases the rear door. With the key on the OEM door lock switch does not activate the rear door. Thanks for all of your help Mark.