Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "High-pitched howling" noise while turning?

Smile Turning Noise

Well I Have The Same Noises And I Believe It Is Normal For The All Wheel Drive System And The Way The Tranny Down Shifts When Slowing And Turning There Is Quite Alot Of Torque On The Drivetrain When Slowing And Turning At The Same Time Cause Of The Way The Tranny Downshifs My Drive Shaft Will Even Clunk A Bit When It Down Shifts Into First And I Believe And Have Been Told That It Is The Norm With These Things.and Hey There Vehigaz,when U Got It In 4 Low Do Not Make Quick Sharp Turns Cause U Will Get Alot Of Metal To Metal Grinding And Traction Slipping It Will Feel Like It Is Falling Apart And That Is Because The Knuckles That Manipulate The Spining Of The Front Wheels Can Not Manipulate That Fast At Such A Turn Radius If U Turn With It In 4 Low Make Slow Long Turns And Dont Turn The Wheel Too Far.well Im No Professional Ha Ha But I Think Im On The Right Track.willy

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    The silent streak has ended - since yesterday, it's making the sound again. :-(

UGH!! What the heck is wrong with this thing?!

WILLY - There is some "clunking" that is common with the VX transmission when shifting, though I hesitate to call it "normal". Good quality synthetic ATF seems to keep mine in line, and I hear the "Interceptor" that Tone Monday sells on his website can also improve tranny performance.

As for my VX, I still haven't narrowed my problem down yet but I'll be giving it a good once (or twice!) over this weekend. I'm leaning towards replacing my shocks - I think they're about due. We'll see if that makes any difference.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Mmmmmmmmmm

I PUT RANCHO SHOCKS ON MINE AND LOVE IT WHAT A GREAT SOFT BUT FIRM RIDE,I JUST RECENTLY SPRUNG A LEAK ON MY TRANNY RIGHT WHERE THE SHIFT LEVER CONNECTS IT LOOKS LIKE BUT NOT SURE,I SNUGGED THE PAN BOLTS ONE 1/4 OF A TURN AND THAT DID NOT FIX IT MMMMMMMMM,AND MY CRUISE WILL NOT SET SINCE THE LEAK STARTED I HOPE ITS NOT SOME MAJOR BS HASSLE IM THINKING OF SELLING B4 THE ENGINE TAKES A POOP IT RUNS GREAT BUT IM A BIT NERVOUS FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON THIS SITE IM AT 89,000 MILES AND WHO KNOWS, MY WARRENTY RUNS OUT IN A FEW HUNDRED MILES AND IM NOT SURE I WANT TO PUT ANYMORE $$$$$ INTO IT,I ALREADY HAVE 20,000 INVESTED AND THERE IS NO WAY IM GOING TO GET ANY WHERE NEAR THAT BACK IF I SELL IT,I LOVE THE THING LIKE CRAZY BUT IM UP IN ARMS OVER IT.

Once I came to the realization that my VX was a luxury expense and not an investment, and that any money that I put into it I would never get back, I found it much easier to justify the cost of maintenance and mods. If I added up every dollar I spent on my VX since I bought it new in 1999 I'm sure I would have to sell it for $60,000 or $70,000 to recoup my "investment", but as we all know, you'll never get from someone else what you truly feel the vehicle is worth. Therefore, I won't skimp on the mods or maintenance, because to me it's worth more than I will ever get for it anyway.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostle
    Cat stuck in the rear well?
    Cats screech... dogs howl...

With that said...

Dog stuck in the rear well?
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

I believe the problem with my VX is in the transfer case .......
    the transfer case may be sending too much power to the front end ....... (when it should not be) ......
    this is especially noticeable/problem when making slow speed turns - you can feel the front and rear end 'fighting' ...... hear the additional drive train whine ........ similar to when 4wd low is engaged ..........

Still the same issues here. No solution huh?

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Dude you totally scared me resurrecting this thread!

I should update, though - that sound finally went away for me. My post above (#32) said that it came back even after the rear diff rebuild and new tires. Well it did, but just a couple of times, and it's been silent ever since.

Btw, my problem was not the one described by t2p in post #37 - my screech sound was definitely coming from the back end.