Thread: Water on the floor

Water on the floor

I saw that a few years ago there was some discussion about wet floors and water leaking into the interior. My '01 has suddenly started to accumulate water on the passenger side floor. After each of two significant rain storms there was about a half inch of standing water. The drainplug proved very useful but the carpet and padding were slow to dry. For those of you that have experienced this problem, would you share what the diagnosis was and what sort of solution has proven effective over time. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Frank

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970
    Last spring I had noticed a few times where the passenger side was wet in my VX...I quickly discovered that if I parked it facing up hill instead of down it wouldn't leak. The incline wasn't much at all but just enough for water to leak in somehow....How did I fix it, well, it sits in the garage now;-)
    The price you pay to be different......

i havent had my VX leak.. but my old subaru had a leak in the rear hatch awhile back.. what i did is put baby powder all around the seal of the hatch right before a thunderstorm... came out the next morning and the missing baby powder showed exactly where it was leaking and then i just put some silicon in the area to stop the leaking

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Maybe this thread might be helpful:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=water+leak
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Frank,
    I really hate to do this,
    take the truck to Dennis Isuzu (on Morse Rd.). They fixed the leak in the Dragon awhile back.
    They farm out the leak work (apparantly there's a big problem with this in their GM line) to another traveling company. They did a good job and it was back in our hands in half-a-day.

I don't normally send business to Dennis, but they did us right in this case.

mbeach,
    Did the dealer explain what the problem was and how they fixed it? I know it really hurts to recommend a Columbus dealer. I have been slowly eliminating them since I moved here. Some I have had very serious problems with. I am not very happy with the Dennis sales organization, but it sounds like the service is ok.

Anita,
    I recalled that thread. It is mostly from '04 and I was hoping to hear how any fixes held up.

etlsport,
    I will hit the VX with a pressure washer this weekend and use your powder idea. If I cannot find/fix the leak, I will call Dennis Isuzu.

XCross69,
    Interesting. That was my wife's observation. Maybe it will give a clue to the problem. I am envious of your solution. I moved from a home with two story, 3 car carriage house to one with a standard 1.5 car garage. Needless to say, the current garage is full.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    Frank

I had a leak last year similar to XCross69. When I parked slightly uphill, I got a soggy passenger side. I found it was coming through one of the screws that hold the cowling under the windshield wipers. When parked uphill it made the dripping water fall straight down through a cold air intake hole that's in the trough at the bottom of the windshield. The drip fell down the hole, which is behind the glove box, to the heater fan, then to the floor. Parked facing downhill the dripping water would usually be caught by the trough. I fixed it by putting a drop of silicon in the empty screw hole & putting the screw in. Then from the inside, I sprayed Spray-on rubber/sound proofing stuff up behind the glove box, through the cold air intake hole, to the underside of the screw. It was a bit of trouble & frustrating, but at least it wasn't a cracked weld like I've read about. Hope that helps (if it makes any sense).

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by nates33
    I found it was coming through one of the screws that hold the cowling under the windshield wipers.
    I didn't do the leak repair on the Dragon (it was under warranty and I'm lazy), but when it was returned, there was a small amount of silicon oozing out from underneath each one of these screws. I actually complained to the dealer about it (I assumed that this was too simple to actually be the cause of the problem), but alas, there was no water intrusion after these screws were sealed.

I had forgotten all about the screws until nates33 mentioned it.

does someone have a photo of these screws, im not sure which ones i need to seal... ive got some water

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    does someone have a photo of these screws, im not sure which ones i need to seal... ive got some water
    Do a little investigating...look under the wipers, see the black piece of metal that has two plastic grates with 1/4" square holes(approx. size).
    Now find the screws that hold that piece of metal to the vehicle...those be them.
    Back them out one at a time, put a little clear(or black) 100% silicone in the hole & replace the screw, repeat until no more screws are found.
    That ought to do it, but no guarantee, as I've heard of the WCS (wet carpet syndrome) having one or more other causes.

yeah, im guessing its just a screw, because its a very small amount of water, only reason i even noticed it was because i picked a piece of paper off footwell and it had a wetspot

I'm having this problem now and it is raining here every day lately. It seemed to me to be the screw mentioned previously and we made that assessment before I looked it up on the forum. Fortunatley the floor mats I have currently, will collect and hold the water since it is not a profuse amount. The same thing happened with my Isuzu Rodeo. What's the deal? Why do they think everyone has access to a garage? LOL
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

check your grommets in the firewall.
    90% of the leaks occur here!
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!