Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the latest "Motor Trend Classic" magazine?

Post Have you seen the latest "Motor Trend Classic" magazine?

Hey Folks,

Have you seen the March/April 2006 edition of "Motor Trend Classic"? They call the 99-01 VX a Future Classic and give it rave review; even calling it a potent dessert racer (I guess shades of its Paris Dakar experience). I think when you read it you'll all walk away feeling little more confident in your decision to own a VX. It's not so weird, afterall. (Remember, "Motor Trend" is America's premiere auto publication.) Be proud!

where did you find it?

I don't think I've ever seen it for sale anywhere, but would love to pick one up.

EDIT:

Thanks for the heads-up! I had been taking it kinda easy today since tomorrow should be a tough day, but I needed to do a VX cleaning. Just wasn't feeling like doing it because it isn't something I ever do halfway and is always an extensive process. LOL! Word of this article inspired me to go out and do it and then run out and find the magazine. Which I did without much trouble - cool article! Although there may be a few grumblings about the part where it says that rock crawling was not the VX's forte. :-)
    Last edited by Heraclid : 03/26/2006 at 04:23 PM

Great article! I found it at Borders books and music. Now I have to put the VX in storage. NOT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Not so fast. These are the same guys that refered to it as an"automotive novelty act" ayear or so ago, and last month in Road and Track, (a sister publication I think) lumped it with the Ford Excursion and Suzuki X-90, as suvs, that while created during the suv frenzy feeding days, never sold...anywhere. Calling it, "They shot at fish in a barrel, and missed".

I didn't see the R&T article but to malign the VX for not selling would sound incredibly dumb as it was built from ceramic dies that would allow for only about 5,000 copies, and they all sold-out, period.

does it happen to have any photos of the VX in the article?

Talking Vehicle madness

Wanna see some funny stuff?
    De Ja Vu from 7 years ago!
    Go to the FJ Cruser forum.
    Concept car....... Same issues with rear/side visability, rear seat area, etc........ Paying over MSRP due to being hard to get. (with them bringing in 46,000 the first year??)
    Interesting to watch!
    I love my VX!
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Yes. The MT Classic article on page 110 has a VX photo.

Thanks!

Picked mine up today at the Barnes and Nobel on Perimeter Center West.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Alot of places had a bump sticker on the VX initially. Sure it sold out eventually. More than a few people here, got their VX in mid to late 02, for twenty to twenty three grand. I worked for Isuzu then, and backed mine off the truck myself. Took it home wrapped in the white plastic from Japan, with 11 miles showing, for twenty one thousand in late July 02. Jax bought 15 at the same time, and sold out byAugust 02. As of Oct. 02, some dealer in Knoxville was sitting on 50! My friend got his Ebony from him just before Christmas that year ( for twenty) and there were still a few silvers. I love my car, but they were never anything like a sales success...just the way we like it. Had they been a hit, steel molds would've appeared quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo
    I didn't see the R&T article but to malign the VX for not selling would sound incredibly dumb as it was built from ceramic dies that would allow for only about 5,000 copies, and they all sold-out, period.
    I think that was Automobile Magazine. Idiots don't have a clue. Someone should write to their editor.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Alot of places had a bump sticker on the VX initially. Sure it sold out eventually. More than a few people here, got their VX in mid to late 02, for twenty to twenty three grand. I worked for Isuzu then, and backed mine off the truck myself. Took it home wrapped in the white plastic from Japan, with 11 miles showing, for twenty one thousand in late July 02. Jax bought 15 at the same time, and sold out byAugust 02. As of Oct. 02, some dealer in Knoxville was sitting on 50! My friend got his Ebony from him just before Christmas that year ( for twenty) and there were still a few silvers. I love my car, but they were never anything like a sales success...just the way we like it. Had they been a hit, steel molds would've appeared quickly enough.
    I don't think steel dies were ever an option. The VX was hand assembled at no more than 200 units per month. They just wanted to get their ceramic dies paid back so they kept it in production for that purpose alone. Rarely does any car model sell well year three with no styling change, at all. And it was very pricey year one so it could not sell out year I. For perspective, I've owned several other concept-come-production models. For example, I owned two 1953 Cadillac Eldorados and did a lot of reserach on their history. They were a show car that they actually built 533 examples of, by hand at $7500.00 each and while they all eventually sold-out the last round of production sold well into 1954 and were ultimately discounted. GM's accounting department accused the Styling team of putting a $5000.00 check in each glove compartment. It lost money as a business venture, and my Blue 1953 eventually sold used for $500.00, in 1969. I sold it four years ago for $55,000, and perfectly restored examples easily bring $250,000 today. So keep the faith. The VX will rise again just as Motor Trend has just pointed out to the world.

Not trying to save 'em for the future, trying to use them up in the present. Just really getting around to this one an' I'm enjoying it. Damn the torpedoes...gas on it!!!

Forgot to mention, we have your '53 Eldo convertable here for sale. White over red, and I think pictures were posted here in the gallery last year just before Turkey Rod... we are asking 65. Call me anytime please. There are other morsels in our barn. Wayne