Thread: Axle seal?

Axle seal?

The dude at the oil change shop told me my back brakes were at 10% and I can believe that I need to get them done, but he wanted $111.25 for it so I think I will go to talk to Midas before letting them do it for that much, that seems a little high right?

My real question is at 70,000 miles should I need to replace the passenger side rear axle seal? The guys showed me that there was fluid on my rotor from it leaking supposedly? Does this sound legit? Also they wanted $267 to replace the rear axle seal on that one side, I know the part is only $20 so is the labor really that tough to charge that much? Any input would be much appreciated.
    In Christ,
    Ryan
    USA Decathlon Team

I think it would depend on the cost of the brake pads they offer at the shop in question, and whether the guy was also talking about resurfacing the rotors if needed. If it's just the pads that need replacing, you could replace those yourself if you have a couple of hours to spare.

As far as the axle seal goes, I'd try cleaning off the fluid that you see now, check the rear diff level (add some if necessary), then drive a bit more and see if it reappears. Sorry, but I've seen too many of those investigative news shows reporting on shady shops where some of the guys carry around a small bottle of all-purpose fluid just for the purpose of creating "leaks" that need fixing. Call me a cynic.

A second opinion is usually a good idea.

Rear pads are less than $30 and take about 10 minutes to change. I'm suprised the back brakes have worn out - the caliper pins are probably sticking and need to be cleaned and lubed while changing the pads.

Arrow

As mentioned above clean the area and check your diff fluid level. Also, if the caliber is stuck as Tone outlined the fluid could be from the caliper as they can sometimes ooze a little if there's a problem.

Going to Midas for a second opinion is a good call if you're not into wrenching.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the info. when I get back from Indoor Nationals in North Carolina, I will get right on it. Really appreciate the input.
    In Christ,
    Ryan H

the rear axle seal deal that they want is a RIP OFF!!!!! Buy the part...put VX on stands, remove wheel, undo brakline bracket bolt, block off brakeline,drain rear diff, undo 4 bolts on back side of brakes holding axle shaft on, undo rear drive line 4 bolts, slide out axle shaft, do repairs. Not worth the $267+ they want.

Spazz:

Can you do the rear seal without a press to remove and replace the rear bearing?

I have the same rear seal issue(common on VX) and I've been dreading doing it. The CD manual doesn't go into detail on this.

John C.

Same Leak

Just found the same leak last Wednesday, took it to the local dealer the next day, had it fixed in less than a day for $158.69. Part was $6.69, labor was 2 Hrs. @ $76. Service advisor told me I had the nicest VX in town. Of course he said there are only like three, Ha Ha.

Arrow update

Dealer quoted me around $220 for the labor on the axle seal, so I went with Midas as they quoted me less than that for the entire deal, however, they had to cut off a "gear" involved with the ABS and just that one part was $94 extra. Called the dealer to see if this was necessary, and they said the last axle seal they had to do on a VX, they ended up having to get a cutting torch out to just break the rear axle loose and pull the bearing, and Isuzu said that "breaking" or cutting that out to replace the seal was more than likely very neceassary. Plus my rotors needed replacing $100 and pads $100, so at the end of the day this is probably going to be $600, I should pick up the VX and get the bill later today, I will update with exact details later.

**new update**
    New estimate for -rear pads -rear rotors -axle seal fix = $740
    Isuzu guys said the last VX axle they had to pull to replace axle seal completely broke their 20ton pulling machine, it HAS to be cut out, so the Midas guys were right, and the bearing has to be replaced along with the stuff cut to release axle. I will update tomorrow when I get the VX back this will be 3 days no VX!!!!! It wasn't ready because the axle won't just go back in it has to slowly be pressured back in over night or something.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 03/23/2006 at 05:40 PM

During my rotor replacement last weekend, I found that I also have a leaky seal on the right rear. Does anyone have any additional comments about the replacement proceedure? It sounds like I need both the seal and possibly the ABS part that Littlebeast indicated she had to replace. Anyone know the part numbers off hand? I'd like to get things ordered today for an install on saturday.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I don't have a scanner here yet but here is the stuff they gave me:

Axle Shaft: Replace: Rear Axle: Right Side (B)
    Labor: $162.00
    Parts: $243.45
    Subtotal: $405.45

Part Number: Part Description: Price:

8941782770 Inner Axle Seal 10.72
    8944418171 Seals and Gaskets 12.50
    511016 Rear Whell Bearing 123.73
    8970184261 ABS Exiter Ring 96.50

They gave me an exploded diagram and everything showing why all this had to be done and what not. I will try to get all that in as soon as I get a scanner hope this helps for now.
    In Christ,
    Ryan

Just noticed a post above from Hotshot that wasn't answered. Inner seal requires a press, outer is pretty easy to replace and can be done without one.. It can be hard to tell if a seal needs to be replaced - when the brakes are inspected there may be oil in the rear drum - that was my symptom (the rears are disc on the front, and drum to the rear when there E-brake engages).

-- John

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    Just found the same leak last Wednesday, took it to the local dealer the next day, had it fixed in less than a day for $158.69. Part was $6.69, labor was 2 Hrs. @ $76. Service advisor told me I had the nicest VX in town. Of course he said there are only like three, Ha Ha.
    The same thing happened to me. They said the seal looked like it was leaking.I bought all the parts from Merlin. Took it to my dealer, but when they got in there. Everything was perfect, bearings, everything. They replaced the seal since they were already in there. They said "we don't know where the fluid came from, just keep an eye on it"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Dealing with this same issue right now, oil in the rear passenger rotor while replacing rotor/pads. Wondering if anyone has gotten the rear seal replaced recently and how much it cost.