View Poll Results: Switch, knob, buttons...?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rotary Switch with preset torque splits

19 57.58%
  • Potentiometer, knob or slider with infinite torque splits

4 12.12%
  • Buttons, each with its own torque split value

7 21.21%
  • Wheel, with preset torque splits

4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: TOD controller - knob, wheel, or buttons?

Thats awesome. Sign me up.

thanks for putting so much time into this!!! you are awesome!!!
    Canada eh!

Thumbs up tod controller

requesting a little clarification. this switch on the tod system would give control back to the driver in reference to % of power going to front tires? is this the equivelent to a push button 4wd system allowing me to push a button or turn a knob and change from 15% to 50% power to front on the fly like a 4 high button? if so sign me up for one sorry if this is a stupid question but im a TOD "toddler". it seems to me under adverse conditions sometime the power transfer comes a little to late like after youve lost traction!!! please reply with more info on this Thanks!!!

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Yup, that's what it'll do.

My gripe with the TOD is the fact that I require a little slip before torque is transfered up front. In most cases this is alright, but for me, it is unacceptable. I drive in some pretty sketchy places, and a little slip could cause a big crash. I just wanted the ability to dial in 4hi at will.

Since I have to generate a PWM to (correctly, for the coil) pull the e-clutch in to 4hi mode, it was just a few extra steps to make it truly variable (like the rally VXs). The TOD is very smart, I don't even pretend to believe that I can sense torque bias requirements as fast as it can. However, I do know that when I am decending an ice covered hill, I want 4hi WAY before the TOD says that I need it.

Also, for those following this thread, there was some discussion about the transfer case's ability to transfer torque to the front wheels in the absense of any e-clutch input (cutting a wire to get 2wd). The t-case CAN transfer torque up front when the front driveshaft is spinning at a significantly slower rate than the rear. This speed differential causes the engagement of a ball-ramp mechanism in the t-case. So even with no e-clutch, there will NEVER be true 2wd without a front-axle disconnect as found on the Troopers.

This TOD mod will only allow you to dial in MORE front torque bias than the conditions call for, never less. So no donuts or dynos.

Smile tod knob

Great!!! Thanks for the clarification as I said before I am definately interested in this so keep us posted on cost &install

mbeach,

Its nice to see that you're still working on this. In fact, its the only reason I came back to the site is to check the status of the project. I voted Rotary.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Maugan,
    I decided a long time ago, that if I were to send out a freebie test unit, I was going to send it to you.

If anyone could find a flaw in it, it'd be you for sure.

I thought that you just wanted a 4hi option -in that case, it's pretty much done.

thanks for the consideration :P

I've wanted a selectable torque solution ever since the "suprise" snow storm down here in Raleigh last year.

Glad to see it hasn't been abandoned.

mbeach... any progress?

I've got the spot on my dash picked already for the knob.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Leave him alone! You can't rush genius!!

No seriously, mbeach, don't think we have forgotten...

Ha! I was just working on this (looking for a project box) yesterday.

I've been really busy since BP's little "accident," and haven't had much time to allot shop resources to personal projects. Once the air (and my workspace) clears out a bit, I'll be able to jump back into this with both feet.

It's really not that far off, I just need to bolt it together and test it (difficult since the I-man is laid up with a leaky master cylinder and the Dragon is sold).

I'm in, with questions. Are there any issues with Tone's AutoTrans Interceptor? Is there an OFF that yields exact factory TOD performance? (Can you kill the beast?) Most of my driving is good road to and from work, but off days are in wet/dry white sand and water and/or gloppy red mud (abandoned gravel mine/bar pits--Dorcheat Bayou - Webster Parish). I'm riding the stock wheels and tires and have a new set of stock tires in my attic (thanks to this forum). This sounds like exactly what I need for sloppy steep hill descents. Again, I'm in.
    thankyouthankyouverymuch

I think I'm ready to assemble one of your kits, too. It sounds a little like Formula 1 traction control but the driver is the robot?

whats up with the TOD control kit?

any change?

if you need a project box go to a radioshack and you can get them cheap there.