Thread: New VXer / Long-time`Zu Owner...

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX

New VXer / Long-time`Zu Owner...

Hello All!

I’ve been a member here for quite a while now - but I finally went legit a few days ago…

Found a `99 Astral Silver, Red/Black – in need of some TLC, but overall in amazing condition inside and out…
    (it’s the underside that will require some serious attention).

I’ll be adding a set of REVOs on Tuesday. --- And I’ve already done my first repair…
    I’m guessing that I'm probably among the very first that’s had to replace this:

Mine failed just 3-hours after signing the papers!

Like I said, it needs a little TLC – but I’m looking forward to having it for many years to come!

Oh yeah - and I've already been initiated into the ‘Bleeding Cranium Club’ after standing straight-up into the driver's-side hood spike, and seeing nothing but stars ;eekg;
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

Thumbs up

Welcome to the owner's ring Smiley! Still got your other rig? Hopefully we'll make it back up to Uwharrie sometime and see y'all again!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thanks for the ‘official’ welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Still got your other rig?
    You betcha! - Although right now it's in need of a D-44 to replace the one that's more-or-less beyond all hope but I've got a line on one, and have no intention of letting the beast go any time soon...

The VX will assume the daily-driver & long-distance travel duties around here, thereby freeing-up the Rodeo to get a little bit more extreme over the next couple of years. --- Right now I'm kinda on the horns of a dilemma, deciding between going SAS or installing 2 ARBs + a winch & custom bumper (in about another year-and-a-half or so)... We shall see.

Hopefully we'll make it back up to Uwharrie sometime and see y'all again!
    The next one will be APRIL 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - at Arrowhead Campground! (Hint-hint!)

I'll be sure to post a link soon.

oh yeah wtg Smiley

Way to go Smiley! I knew the post you wrote when you test drove one a while a go was a clincher (another website). Congratulations! Welcome to the 2 Zu family. Now to get them both to Moab in May. Both of our Zu's are our daily drivers. Swordy drives the VX, and I drive the Amigo. (Not one of those diven a Ford lately kinda family)

Congratulations again!
    Deby
    aka See-Migo on 4x4 wire
    Last edited by BumbleV-X : 01/29/2006 at 06:07 PM
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

yes welcome

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleV-X
    ...I knew the post you wrote when you test drove one a while a go was a clincher (another website).
    Well, that makes ONE of us... (This is the very same VX, BTW)

The first time that I looked at it, I was pretty worried about all of the rust that it had in the engine compartment, along with a couple of other spots - and the broken speedometer/odometer - and the *THUNK* it makes when shifting into gear - and the... (You get the idea) --- But somehow-or-another, once the price dropped, all of its flaws became curiously forgivable.

Now to get them both to Moab in May.
    I truly hope to make it out there (eventually) in the Rodeo - but I'm betting that Miss Kathy will take steps to keep the VX here in WV... like maybe chaining herself to it, or putting a lock-boot on one of the tires!

Thumbs up

Hey, welcome!!!!!!!

Well I have replaced a few parts but that hasn't been on the list....yet. So what is making the VX underside in such bad condition?

OK...... so...... what rigs do you have? A Rodeo, VX, and a Trooper? Which one are you replaceing a D44 on, and whats wrong/what did you do? I am researching axles for my new venture of the LS-1 VX. I am new to an axle swap and doing research on everything and am unsure on the D44's strength. Any suggestions on what axle you wish you went with? I am breaking WAAAYYY too many CV's with my current setup and they are expensive puppies with the VX. And the last thing I want is to swap in another axle that keeps breaking on me. It's cold and I don't have a garage.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX
    ...So what is making the VX underside in such bad condition?
    The first owner's fear of getting carwash overspray on his wingtips, I guess.

He used it to commute back-and-forth along one of the most salted sections of Interstate in the entire country... a 7-mile-long, 8-percent grade on I-77, in West Virginia... often (by all evidence) at 70+ mph - and apparently NEVER ONCE sprayed-off the engine compartment or undercarriage - As far as I can tell, he just did the body whenever it looked like it needed it, and kept the interior showroom-spotless.

It's going to take some love... But I'll get there. --- Besides, none of it is so bad that I can't either fix it or live with it.

OK...... so...... what rigs do you have? A Rodeo, VX, and a Trooper?
    Isuzu-wise?

1997 Rodeo: 3" + 3" ~ 32" MT/Rs ~ LockRight ~ Tera Lows ~ Rock Bars ~ ETC.
    1999 VX: Salvaged Power Steering Tube ~ New Floor Mats ~ a new piece of (perfectly matching!) Red & Black Luggage to keep stuff from flying around in the back.

No Trooper (not yet).

Which one are you replaceing a D44 on, and whats wrong/what did you do?
    The Rodeo.

As best as I can tell - after replacing the outer bearings once, less than a year ago (and they're already shot again)... it looks like the cause of the problem is a little deeper... Probably the dif carrier bearings, and a nearly exploded ring & pinion too. --- It's not even drivable; not really... not safely anyhow!

I'm simply going to swap-in another 1996-97 Rodeo axle in its place and be done with it... Oh yeah - that, and I'll probably switch from a LockRight to an AUSSIE

Any suggestions on what axle you wish you went with?
    I'm still IFS... This is the REAR Factory axle that's giving me trouble - and like I said above (more due to the width than anything else), I guess I'm just gonna dance with the one that brung me.

I've had my suspicions ever since we got the Rodeo, that there was already something wrong with the axle - I'm thinking that one of the two previous owners (most likely the first, in Colorado) probably towed something semi-frequently that was entirely too heavy, and did so on some nasty-steep grades (like say: The Rocky Mountains). --- It's never felt quite right... yet STILL it has proven itself as the best & most durable 4x4 I've ever owned!

It's cold and I don't have a garage.
    Me either - But somehow I'm guessing it's a wee-bit nippier in Alaska than here

Good luck with yours!

Ahhhhhhh read that wrong, I have been researching front axles too much, didn't even thinkof the factory D44 rear. Thought you had to be talking about the "other rig" since you were debating SASing the Rodeo.

As for the SAS or ARB... I would go SAS instead of the ARB's first. Then you won't have to buy/setup 3 lockers, and maybe save you in front end breakage $ as well.

d44

Smiley,

My 98 Amigo came stock with a rear d44. Didn't most of the Rodeo's of that era? I thought they were basically the same components.

As far as Moab this year I don't think either one of our Zu's is going this year. We're having driver issues. Swordy is still suffering back problems from his accident last April, and I just went on my first car drive (3 miles max) since my surgery last week. I'm down for at least 7 more weeks, which kinda makes it difficult to ask the boss for time off a month and a half later.

Rust? OMG do I know rust. California native here..... Swordy and I purchased our first Amigo (91) on E-bay from Ohio. WHAT DO THEY DO BACK EAST? PARK IN LAKES? When I was hit on the freeway (it was totalled) 6 months later I was afraid to look at the impact sight in fear that all I would see is a pile of rust. I didn't, Swordy had added the thickest bumper, and skid plate that all I found was a REALLY messed up Honda.

Keep us posted on the rust and repairs though.

Hey... wasn't it Ms. K that was in that bad accident awhile back? She messed up her foot I believe in her mothers car. How is her recovery?

Deby