Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: JL Audio 12" sub box!!!!!

Red face

Hey Cyronman,

I just ordered my custom PsychoBox (TM) from Shawn, knowing that I'll lose the spare tire storage. The thing is, for long road trips I'll STILL want good audio more than the safety of a spare! I told Shawn I'd either invest in a solid AAA membership in case of a flat, or else throw a Yakima Load Warrior on top and carry a full-size spare!

I'll add this: In my last VX (the late, lamented Ironman...RIP!), all I did was add a 6" sub (yes, a tiny sub) into a custom-fabbed enclosure for the jack cubby! Even the 6" sub, separately amped from the stock head unit, improved the sound about a million percent.

This time, adding a 10" sub in a MUCH better enclosure, and then upgrading to an Eclipse head unit...well, I'll probably never leave the VX. Except to pee.

Maybe not even then.

Quote Originally Posted by cyronman
    Shawn

i'm not a big audio nut, but this looks good/compact.
    and 1 thing i have noticed in the vx is that a nice sound system definitely enhances, though not extremely important in my book.
    however, if you still don't have any bites on the last two next month or so, i might be into trying one.

if i had to lug a spare though on a long drive, how difficult would it be to swap?
    just simply unplug and take the box out right?

thanks,
    cy
    Yes, you can just remove it. But you would have to install the mount for the spare ,it has to be removed for this box to fit. If you are concerned about the spare I make a fiberglass box that fits in the spare tire.It will fit a jlaudio 8w3v2 sub. The cost is $325 plus shipping. Not as loud but adds some bass. If you order a fiberglass box before xmas I will include free shipping. shawn
    1COOLVX

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Hey Cyronman,

The thing is, for long road trips I'll STILL want good audio more than the safety of a spare! I told Shawn I'd either invest in a solid AAA membership in case of a flat, or else throw a Yakima Load Warrior on top and carry a full-size spare!

-audio over spare...i was considering that as i already have AAA

I'll add this: In my last VX (the late, lamented Ironman...RIP!), all I did was add a 6" sub (yes, a tiny sub) into a custom-fabbed enclosure for the jack cubby! Even the 6" sub, separately amped from the stock head unit, improved the sound about a million percent.

-good, simple idea

...well, I'll probably never leave the VX. Except to pee.

-tip learned from convoying in Iraq.......empty gatorade bottles.
    on 2nd thought...
    Seattle huh, i lived there 99-03 over by Btown Billiards and then QAhill myself.
    miss it. recently saw how the monorail idea was finally scrapped. funny, i thought that would have been finished by now.

shawn

thanks, i will consider your offers.

cy

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Hey Cyronman,

I just ordered my custom PsychoBox (TM) from Shawn, knowing that I'll lose the spare tire storage. The thing is, for long road trips I'll STILL want good audio more than the safety of a spare! I told Shawn I'd either invest in a solid AAA membership in case of a flat, or else throw a Yakima Load Warrior on top and carry a full-size spare!

This time, adding a 10" sub in a MUCH better enclosure, and then upgrading to an Eclipse head unit...well, I'll probably never leave the VX. Except to pee.

Maybe not even then.
    PHO2GR4 I will try to get it done this week and get it to you before X-mas. If not it will be just after.
    Anybody else intrested? shawn

Thanks Shawn!!!

I'm pretty psyched..er, excited!

I recieved Shawn's box and I must say, the quality and craftsmanship far outweighs even that of namebrand boxes I have bought in the past. Shawn has da'skillz!! Superb work!

It is tricky getting the box tucked into the tailgate and i have yet to get it all the way in (only spent about 5 minutes trying before I had to get on with some errands). I hope to get back to it later this evening.

Shawn, I bluffed on the sub that I have. It's actually a JL Audio 12W6. A bit bigger than what I think I told you. But, it fit like a !@#$ing glove! Dropped right into place and screwed right in. I put some polyfill in there and tested it out. It sounds great. Excellent thump, no box rattle, and with the tailgate thoroughly insulated already, the body has no rattle either. Too awesome! EVERYONE needs this box!

Now to properly seat the box in the tailgate so I can get cracking on the rear cover speaker port.

Score: 10/10
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    I recieved Shawn's box and I must say, the quality and craftsmanship far outweighs even that of namebrand boxes I have bought in the past. Shawn has da'skillz!! Superb work!

It is tricky getting the box tucked into the tailgate and i have yet to get it all the way in (only spent about 5 minutes trying before I had to get on with some errands). I hope to get back to it later this evening.

Shawn, I bluffed on the sub that I have. It's actually a JL Audio 12W6. A bit bigger than what I think I told you. But, it fit like a !@#$ing glove! Dropped right into place and screwed right in. I put some polyfill in there and tested it out. It sounds great. Excellent thump, no box rattle, and with the tailgate thoroughly insulated already, the body has no rattle either. Too awesome! EVERYONE needs this box!

Now to properly seat the box in the tailgate so I can get cracking on the rear cover speaker port.

Score: 10/10
    Thanks wormgod. Put it straight in and then lift a little and push on the bottom . Should drop right in. shawn

Got the WRX in the garage for most of this week doing the annual winter wash/buff/wax so the VX will have to wait till the weekend to get any TLC (even if she did get the wash/wetsand/buff/wax already). I am sure I will figure out the box in no time.... it's just a matter of finding the 10 seconds of time to be able to get around to it, heh.

Thanks again Shawn.

Just posting to see if there are any new takers on the sub box. I may have one order and would like to make them all at once. If anyone needs more info just post here and I will get you the info you need. shawn

Question weight?

Was wondering, How much does the box+carpet weigh?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

I believe it is around 15 lbs. without the speaker. shawn

Quote Originally Posted by psychos2
    .... If you are concerned about the spare I make a fiberglass box that fits in the spare tire.It will fit a jlaudio 8w3v2 sub. The cost is $325 plus shipping. Not as loud but adds some bass...
    Shawn- Do you have any pictures of the fiberglass enclosure? I was looking at the VW Beetle Stealthbox from JL , but yours would probably fit better. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SkidPlate
    Shawn- Do you have any pictures of the fiberglass enclosure? I was looking at the VW Beetle Stealthbox from JL , but yours would probably fit better. Thanks!
    here are some pics. The box will fit a a jlaudio 8w3v2 or a discontinued 8w6 .the 8w6 would be my choice.

Shawn got me mine and it is an excellent work.
    Thank you Shawn, 2 years and counting and I am still enjoying my sub