Thread: Heavy Duty CV Boot?

Heavy Duty CV Boot?

Both my right and left CV boots are torn and will need replacing. I will go ahead and replace both axles while at it. Since the boots are so prone to tearing, what options are there beside OEM boot? Found a thread about a kevlar boot but it was for ATV.

Figure all you serious off-roaders must have a good solution.

I know there are some out there, try www.independent4x.com or www.darlington_offroad.com.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I found some replacement boots many years ago for a ZJ that I had. They were blue silicone and were far more resistant to heat and tearing than the stock rubber.

The Kevlar ones for the ATVs would be good to protect the stock boots from abrasion, but I don't think that they'd do much to keep anything from tearing because of extreme driveline angles.

trick...cheet

When placing inner boot back on..put grease in the larger end then clamp big end to the green cup first...then push boot up as far as you can (so it slides above the groove that keeps it in place) then clamp the smaller end just tight enough that grease won't come out easily and that the boot can allow the shaft to slide up and down without pulling the boot.

I have done this and used cheep flimsy boots and have not tore one yet, even with pretty extreme offroading. So, if you want to do it right, order some boots from independent 4x and then do as I said and you should not have a problem again. As far as the cv's go though they will still have the strain from the angle of being lifted but no fix for that except axle drop down brackets.

SPAZZ, Thanks for the advise, I'll pass that on to the shop that will do the installation.

Out of curiousity has anyone gotten CVs from Autozone? they've got them for a decent price (under $100) but I'm just not sure about quality. Checked with Pepboys and they don't even carry them.

dude...

you just walk in a shop and tell them don't bother with looking my truck up just let me see the cv boots..then pick one the closest to the VX's it usually considered a universal...$10 for it... then do the cheet I mentioned...no problem and way cheeper then buying expensive boots and waisting $$$

I usually never use the clampa they include. I usually use Flex cuffs in proper diameter.
    Last edited by SPAZZ : 10/24/2005 at 01:23 PM Reason: adding more