Thread: Headlight adjust

Arrow Headlight adjust

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to adjust the projection height of the headlight beams? Ever since I had my headlights replaced under warranty they project almost straight down at the ground and I have to use my brights in the country to see more than 20 feet in front of the car. The dealer I have to go to is two hours away or I would have them do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke
    Mt. Vernon, IN

Quote Originally Posted by LukeVX
    Hey all,

Does anyone know how to adjust the projection height of the headlight beams? Ever since I had my headlights replaced under warranty they project almost straight down at the ground and I have to use my brights in the country to see more than 20 feet in front of the car. The dealer I have to go to is two hours away or I would have them do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke
    Mt. Vernon, IN
    Sounds like the bulbs are not seated properly (it's kind of a pain to get in there with big hands, stock intake and battery in place), either that or, they did not mount the headlight housings properly. Were you in an accident or just replacing the headlights due to hazing or scratches?

Try this link for assistance installing them correcty:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=15

One thing to note is that it seems normal for most VX's to have the drivers side beam sit lower than the passenger side. I believe this was done to prevent glare for oncoming vehicles.
    Live Free or DIE!

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Three bolts hold the headlight to the vehicle, one on the top (towards the rear) and two underneath (that can really only be seen when the front bumper is off). Major up/down adjustments are made by placing 'spacers' or washers on these lower two mounting points. By lifting the bottom of the light, the beams will hit higher.

Incidentally, this is the poorest design that I have ever seen -it must've rolled off of the desk of the same guy responsible for the strap/hook/velcro/snap deal that holds the rear seats up.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

There are three adjusting bolts on the backside of the headlight housing that are a pain to get to without removing the air filter housing. Also, the plastic cover that hides the head of the adjusting bolt is not too fun to remove & will most likely be destroyed in the process (an O-ring hook works).
    I just adjusted mine last week...what an improvement.
    Ldub

So do you have to take the front cladding off to put the washers on the bottom two mount points?

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Yes, even if you have skinny arms.

Cladding removal is no big deal -my wife has gotten it down to a science, it takes her less than 5 minutes to pull the front cladding.

Luke, once you get the housing in the neighborhood, it's easy to make the final adjustment up and down. On the back of the housing you'll see a Y shaped groove with a silver metal sprocket at the bottom. The right sized phillips head can be used to turn this and you'll see the beam move up or down. Or look on the very back of the housing to find a metal disk with a small bolt head on it. Turning that with a pair of pliers does the same thing.

Mark

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Yeah, try deermagnet's suggestion first. If you can't adjust them enough with the up&down adjusting mechanism, then take the cladding off and try adjusting the whole headlight mount.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks to Deermagnet for his instructions on this! I know it's an old thread... but hey, maybe someone needs a "tickler" to get out and do this to their VX too...

After I lifted, my headlights were shining in everyone's interior rear view mirror... for about a year now. I finally adjusted it (10 minutes).

Again... thanks!
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L