Thread: EGR cleaning gone bad :)

EGR cleaning gone bad :)

Well, i did the EGR cleaning yesterday exactly as described at several places. However, after putting everything back together, i noticed that something was amiss. The VX didn't sound right.

Now every time i accelerate, i get a sound like 'someone holding a card in the spokes of a bike'. Its kind of like a shrill 'puttering'. There is also a noticable loss in power. Anyways, i'm quite sure it is a leak. I opened the EGR again and put it back together, but that didn't help. I am thinking about changing the EGR gasket. Can I get it at one of the auto stores? Also, i'm also wondering if RTV sealant would work, although i don't really want to use it, it would be messy.

Please provide any suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dare2Dream : 10/11/2005 at 01:33 PM

I've been able to reuse my gasket twice. But I think you're probably right that the gasket is leaking. I personally wouldn't use any sealant, as it leaves a hardened mess to clean if you decide to clean the EGR again.

I'll get the gasket at the dealership on Friday, i don't think the parts stores have it. I really hope that fixes the problem.

When the EGR is removed, did you only have a regular gasket there between the EGR and the base or is there also a metal plate of some kind? I need to check mine again, but it seemed to me that there was a metal plate and a gasket. BTW, i'm not talking about an EGR blocking plate. Thanks.

could make your own gasket
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

good idea, i will check out the 'make your own' gasket kit which i think is available at auto parts stores.
    Last edited by Dare2Dream : 10/12/2005 at 04:27 PM

I want to know what exactly is inside the EGR? I dont know if anyone here has ever redone an engine, but when you have it taken apart the top of the cyclnder head usually has carbon build up on it. Well i usually spray throttle body cleaner on it, then light it on fire to burn off the carbons. I wonder if you could do that to the EGR valve and the tube going to the exhuast manifold.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress