Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small round lights, what bulb?

Small round lights, what bulb?

I have one of the small round lights out that are mounted in the front bumper, i remember once reading you can replace them with i think a 50w halogen or something, anyone remember what bulb it is?

Thanks guys

Pete

One of mine just burned out too... so I finally took the advice of many from here and put in the 18W Malibu bulbs from Home Depot. They look great, and were $5 for a 4-pack.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    does anyone know if there is any better upgrades for those that will fit in the stock spot and mount without much trouble? i want some lights that will actually give off some light. thanks for the help.
    pbkid

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid
    does anyone know if there is any better upgrades for those that will fit in the stock spot and mount without much trouble? i want some lights that will actually give off some light. thanks for the help.
    pbkid
    Not really last I checked, at least without melting the housing

Best bet is to swap out the stock lights with a 3 inch or so diameter fog/driving light. That's about the only way to get some real light from that area. Try a search for fog lights and you'll find many posts on what other members have done and even several How To's on replacements.
    Live Free or DIE!

I just put in the PIAA W2 18W HID replica lights that people suggested in the forums..... They were $18 on line including shipping from Audi.. .Took 10 minutes total to install. 5 minutes your second time.. They are super bright, but now I need to get new headlight bulbs, because they don't match..
    "If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space...." -Perry Kloska

There's always a complete change out like I did..

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=2

There are several others that changed out the lights too.
    Scott / moncha.com

So i ordered and installed the PIAA 18w wedge bulbs...Awesome!!! If you havent allready done so its one of the best $15 mods for the VX Nice cool blue much brighter light than the origionals.

But be warned!! you'll like 'em so much you will have the replace the headlight H4 bulbs to match, about $70 if you go with the PIAA's again but well worth it, much brighter and cooler lights, updated the car, got lots of positive comments too.

Pete

Are these the same ones you're talking about?

http://www.a4stuff.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=PIAA-19224

yep, but then you need the H4 headlight bulbs to match

I changed mine out to a set of 55W small Pilot driving lights. And NO, nothing melted, just need to change out the headlight fuse under the hood from 10A to 15A since it pulls a little more current. I can't find the thread but do a search and it has detailed instructions. Got the Pilot light at Autozone for like $20 and a couple of 4" rubber hose coupling thingy & hose clamps from Lowes for $10 (I think). Whole project costed me $30 and a few hours.

Blast from the past thread, but....

Looking to replace almost all my lights/bulbs. Been looking into the PIAA W2 18W Xtreme Whites for the small, round, worthless lights in the front cladding. Dont want to mod any aftermarket lights in so a bulb should be fine. Came across some here....

http://store.aumauto.com/piw2xtsuwh.html (just for reference)

Anyone that is using them notice any heat issues with outlying plastic and do they appear more blue than white? I dont want any melting and want to avoid Johnny On The Spot cause he doesnt like blue AT ALL in this area.

Also, anyone tried any sort of LED bulbs or conversions for these lights?
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I thought the headlight bulbs were 9003 instead of H4?

Thanks,

Phantom400

The PIAA's are nice, that's what I have had for a long time now, still going strong. The only thing is (for me at least) they fit in there pretty loosely, and occasionally I find one isn't on, so I have to get in there and press it in more firmly and then it's on again. Not something that happens much (twice, in a couple of years' time I guess), though. As loose as it is (both times it was the right side), it is amazing it doesn't happen constantly, especially with the stiff ride and some of the places I take it. Really I'd expect it to fall out of socket with the first little bump, but they don't. Not sure if it's just my VX, or my particular bulbs I got or what.

WormGod, I've had no heat issues with the plastic, and they are a little on the blue side, but just a tad. Really don't think it would be a problem. It's not to the point that it is going to draw any attention when you pass by Johnny. Especially having the headlights on with them as you probably usually will. Then they look pretty white. It's when they're on by themselves that you can see the blue hue, and even then, it's not so much when you're looking directly at them - it's when you're looking at what they are illuminating that you notice the blue. My headlights drown out that effect.

I have the Sylvania SilverStars in the headlights. Not an exact match maybe, but that's really splitting hairs in my case because it's close enough to not look wrong in my opinion.

MrcIn1, the SilverStar part number was 9003ST.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 11/12/2006 at 12:14 AM

Exclamation The OEM bulb is only 3.5 Watts...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteVX
    I have one of the small round lights out that are mounted in the front bumper, i remember once reading you can replace them with i think a 50w halogen or something, anyone remember what bulb it is?

Thanks guys

Pete
    The OEM round aux light bulbs are a mere 3.5 watts. You can upgrade them with 4 watt Malibu bulbs from Home Depot and get a somewhat brighter OEM glow. Higher wattage bulbs are available in 7, 11, and 18 watts, but I am not certain what long term impact that would have on the circuit designed for 3.5 watts. Others have gone as high as 18 watts and reported no problems. Just know that going from 3.5 watts to 7 watts is a 100% increase in power on that circuit, so proceed with caution.
    NAVIGATOR

7watt bulbs are NOT a problem in the round light and you could probably go as high as 15w if those are avail. Lots of air space and distance in there.