Thread: Help... Tone, Worm, someone??

Arrow Help... Tone, Worm, someone??

Hey all,
    I haven't been on for a while you are all well.
    As of late I have a loud and very audible incessant clicking, actuating noise. It sounds like a an indicator 'module' actuating, however it is on the right side, passenger side of my car. It is none stop, and seems to happen when the brake pedal is depressed, but not entirely. When under throttle sometimes it stops, and other times it remains happening.

Its sounds like it is under the dash clearly near the glove box. It is a very audible click on followed by another click off, thus me claiming the actuating noise-

Anyone think what it might be??
    thanks much
    Dylan
    face the mirror

Does it sound like a gas grill pilot?

My first guess at troubleshooting would be to toy with the A/C. Sounds odd, but it might surprise ya. Try using different settings on the temp, vents, and speed of it parked and while driving. See if there is a change in the clicking.

It's worth a try first.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

AC fan under the dash - turn off AC and see if it goes away. Not alot of electronics on that side.
    Last edited by Tone : 09/22/2005 at 09:02 AM

sounds like the park switch actuating. Theres a little solenoid type thinger in your shifter that goes off when you hit the brake so you can't put the thing in park if you don't have your foot on the brake.

Mine does the same thing. On my trooper, I got so sick of it, I used some electrical cleaning spray on the solenoid thing and it make the sound not so loud, but never got rid of it completely.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Thanks guys...
    I will note the suggestions and try to narrow it down- Could be any of them-
    I will keep you updated as I might need more help-
    Again Thanks
    D

I have the same thing when stopped with A/C on. If I turn it off, the clicking either ceases or changes tune. So what is it?
    Steve

hello, all.

wow! think i may have the same prob. mine sounds similiar. originally, sound came from under glove box. noise, now, sounds like it's coming from under the gauge (speedo/tach) cluster in dash. this'll happen w/AC on or off, while driving. nothin' while stopped. haven't had time to look underneath the dash, yet.

-jose
    2001 kaiser silver #1002

I stopped trying to eliminate all the clicks, knocks and rattles in the VX. Its a fruitless endeavor that will only lead you to pain and misery, and the loss of hair.

Yep, I just came to the conclusion that getting used to my noises the best thing. My squeaky dash and my rattling back and passenger seat gets drowned out by my stereo now.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I've heard lots of cars make that clicking sound with the AC on. I think it has something to do with the compressor clutch.

Not to imply that you guys don't know where the sound is coming from, but one other possibility to consider is that it may be a rock or a screw or nail in the tire treads. It happens to me allt he time. If you only hear the clicking sound when the VX is in motion, then you should definitely check the tires on the right side. (check them all the way around, then move the VX a couple of feet and check it again to see if there was anything underneath. But if it makes the sound mostly at idle, then it's probably the AC.

Good luck diagnosing the sounds!