Thread: Transmission Fluid Filter Transfer Case Fluid Change

Arrow Transmission Fluid Filter Transfer Case Fluid Change

Ok, I've been all over all the posts for doing the transmission service... The best thing I've found so far is this -> http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx...l/4L30E_01.asp

But it does not cover the filter. There are no how-to's for the tranfer case either. I'd like to do both of these this weekend. I have the transmission filter already, but no gaskets. Does anyone know how-to or what else is needed for these jobs? I'll order the gaskets and move the job to a later date if they are really needed but I'd like to do this myself so I'm looking for some more how to advise. If I'm going to do this myself, I want to do everything (filter, gaskets, sythetics, etc...) and do it all right....

Arrow

The TOD/transfer case is pretty simple, just drain-n-fill. You should be able to figure it out by looking at it.

As for replacing the transmission filter, I'll update my how-to when I actually get to do this on my own VX's or someone elses.

I'll post some TOD/transfer case diagrams this evening if no one else does.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thumbs up gaskets

I ordered the gaskets for the adapter pan and the for the filter so I'm set for those.. they'll be in next week. Maybe I'll take a few pictures as well and send them to you for your site. Thanks alot so far...

Lightbulb

I've been tinkering with a DIY-flush tool that uses compressed air. If it turns out to work well my hope is that a few will build them and then it could be sent to those in need for the cost of shipping. I'd make the plans openly available for folk to build and maybe improve. Actual shop flush machines start around $1000, so far this one has run me about $30.

You have to drop the cross member to get the last few bolts on the trans pan. No big deal really, just support the trans at the rear output with a floor jack and drop the cross member. Refilling the trans is a pain. I use a drill pump with a few feet of rubber hose on it with flexible copper tubing on the ends. The copper tubng allows for a "hook" to fashioned and will stay put n the filler hole which is upside down .
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

if you do a search on this site... I posted the part number for the valvoline pump that fits exactly inside the tranny fill hole..huh huh huh...tranny fill hole...anyways, it is the only pump that I have been able to find that wasn't bigger or exactly the same size as the hole, which made for a VERY messy fill.

Arrow

The method for filling on my site that uses some vinyl hose and a plastic bottle works great, is quick, cheap and makes very little mess. Gravity is a powerful tool, as is simplicity.