Thread: Electric Radiator Fan

Electric Radiator Fan

It appears that my front Electric Radiator Fan does not come on. VX ran up to 215 degrees in water temp (scan gauge reading) and I pulled over and idled high to reduce heat along with turning off the AC. It was 105 outside with hilly driving. I have already removed the Electric Radiator Fan, to hook up directly to 12volts. I wonder if this fan only comes on with the AC, I have never noticed it running since I have owned the car.

Any advice, experience?
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

electric fan

I have had my VX for over a year. I drive in hot Dallas traffic, went to Moab, offroad in east Texas with temps near 100 ,with no problems and my fan is not connected. I think it was wrecked and bodyshop never reconnected it. I keep meaning to fix it, just never get to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

You were correct in say the Electric Fan only comes on when the A/C is on it's to increase air flow over the condenser core. I've never seen it come without.
    Scott / moncha.com

Thank you for your replies.

I never hit the red line but my scan gauge tells me the differences in temperature. At 215 I pull over, it should run cooler than that I think.

Oil Cooler?

Mine comes close to overheating daily in the Vegas 115 Degree heat. I was wondering if anyone has installed an oil filter "sandwich adapter" and ran oil lines to an external oil cooler?
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

The electric fan is the a/c condenser fan and is controlled by the high-pressure switch on the a/c drier, so it was not designed to aid in engine cooling. The engine fan has a viscous drive that may be your problem. If there is an accumulation of dirt due to the loss of viscous fluid at the hub, then I would replace it.

After I installed the winch I seemed to notice an air flow problem at a stop. The a/c would not cool as well but the condenser fan was on. I installed an after market electric fan on the left side of the radiator that took care of the a/c problem as well as running a bit hot on the trail. I have never had a problem on the road no matter what temperature.
    Todd