Thread: ??? Tone-billet crank pulleys??

??? Tone-billet crank pulleys??

I was wondering if anyone has had the stock pulley remade in aluminum(billet). I wanted to do it, but not do the undersize as most rice-racers do. I have estimated the weight difference to maybe around 7-8 lbs. I was looking at doing the crank pulley only. I contacted Unorthodox racing and it was going to be @ 400$!!. My speed shop has someone down in Dallas who could do it for about half.
    MY question- Is it worth it?? I have been told it would be good for some low end, and the other opinionn said it wouldnt do anything?? Any insight??
    face the mirror

Stock pulley is not that heavy in the grand scheme but be sure to dyno before and after so you can document the improvement - 2WD dynos work fine, just drop the front drive shaft. Go for it!
    Last edited by Tone : 03/30/2003 at 06:00 AM

The stock pulley is heavy for a reason. Its mad of 2 major parts, the inside part that bolts to the crank, and the outer ring thats hedl on with a rubber layer.

This acts as a harmonic balancer, or, more correctly harmonic dampner. I would think twice about the effects of messing with that. I have seen balancer/dampner assemblys add HP on the dyno on V8 engines. at that small diameter the change in rotational mass is not that great.

John C.

There is no 4 wheel dyno that I know of around here but my speed shop guy was saying there is one going in soon, there has to be one in Sacramento....well see- What I am trying to do is get the same pulley from another isuzu/vx/axiom. My master tech is on the look out for me. First if the weight is of not a big difference then I am over it. However if it is? The I will consider gatting the outer ring done. I will counsel my tech on the dampening deal. However if Hotsauce if you are 100% sure then I suppose I should not to mess with it- First I got to get my Interceptor from Tone (waiting on some dough) and then once I done that then I will look into the pulley. I know it is a pretty reasonable horspower mod/gain on the import scene. However they are all undersized, which I don't want to do, I want to keep reliability up and all. Either way I'll keep you all posted, and if it is a relevant mod I will let the all in the vx.info/vmag land know-
    peace

I had a set of the AEM Tr-Power Pulleys installed on my Prelude, and I have to say there was a significant inprovement in power (butt dyno). If you go to the link they have a disclaimer which reads:

*IMPORTANT:
    Vehicle manufacturers have thoroughly investigated the use of torsional vibration dampeners and conclude that their use significantly reduces NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Furthermore, manufacturer and independent research shows that torsional vibration dampeners are critical to engine life where long-term use is intended. Removing the torsional vibration dampener from an engine can be highly detrimental to its long-term operation!

Thanks- I believe you helped me make my decision