Thread: fiberglass question

fiberglass question

anyone knows how to use fiberglass to make boom box? i want to customzise one for myself. but i totally knows nothin about it, like resin, release agents and glue... can anyone briefly describe the process to me?
    million thank you!
    blue HID head light, custom license plate "GOVEHIX", Pro M mass air flow, black safari light bar from Tone, PIAA 194 fog light intalled, PIAA 550 fog light lamp installed, custom bull bar extention installed, Levoc ultra metal pedal set, Bioharzard sticker at the rear glass, Recaro red cellphone holder and razo steer cover.

theres not a "brief" way to describe the whole layup process. If you google for it, there are several websites available that can guide you through the process.

For the home builder, I suggest west system with the pumps. Its the best and easiest way to get the correct resin/hardner mixture.

Check out this link for a pretty good user manual for the west system. I think you'll find that you'll spend a bunch of money practicing before you get your skills down to where you're happy with your work.

http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/u...nual/index.htm

also that tutorial does not go into molds/plugs. You should read up about that as well.
    Last edited by Maugan_VX : 07/11/2005 at 07:27 PM
    2000 Black VX 105k

I have done a lot of fiberglass in autos for stereo applications. Here is a brief write up i did on the boxes i built for my Axiom, there are many different ways to do this so dont take what i say as words from god or anything. But it works well for me. Here is a link to a thread with the write up.:

http://www.fordexplorer.net/showthread.php?t=6022
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

thank you maugan tec. the first one helps a lot, but i couldn't open the second link.
    so how many layers of fiberglass do i need to lay on for a fine quality boom box? and where can i get resin and hardener? i went to home depot yesterday and couldn't find anything useful. thanx.

you can get fiberglass resin at home depot or most auto parts stores.there is no set # of layers.and use mat not cloth.mat is stronger. one rule is if you can push on it and it moves then you need more layers. also the bigger the area the more layers.you may be able to build a box for a 12" sub using mdf and no fiberglass.that is what i am going to try. shawn
    1COOLVX