Thread: Brake Pads

Brake Pads

Got a question... I've got some carbon-metallic pads on my VX that have worn out in about 15 months (don't know how many miles - maybe 10-12k). My local Autozone says they probably aren't the right type for my VX (even though they were the ones who sold them to me). Since they have a lifetime warranty, but the brand I purchased has been discontinued, they've offered to start me fresh with any kind they stock, my choice. What type of brake pads came stock, and does anyone recommend an upgrade? (I know a lot of folks recommend OEM pads, but these are free under warranty... and you can't beat free!

So should I get semi-metallic, carbon-metallic, or ceramic?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

I have tried axxis ultimate, and morse ceramic pads, neither are even close to the original pad.

I have a set of Mintex race pads still in the box that I haven't tried yet, but I would say that the OEM pads are excellent.

John C.

I just had mine in at Firestone for brakes and was told that the more expensive ceramic pads were the only ones listed for the VX. Funny thing is the rears needed replacing and the fronts still had about 1/2 left. On other vehicles I have owned, usually the fronts get replaced twice before needing rears. And I brake heavy. I do not know what brand or if they are OEM. I guess I'll have to wait and see how long they last.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Hotsauce,
    I'll second that opinion, I have never owned a vehicle that had zero brakepad dust buildup on the wheels until the VX. The stock pads IMO are the best I've ever seen, & will be what I replace these with when the time comes.
    Ldub

What material did they use in the OEM pads? Ceramic?

I find it hard to believe that NO aftermarket pads can compare to the stock OEM ones?!

Brakes are Mitsubishi issue I beleive. That would be where the pads are.

Arrow Speaking of Brake Pads...

I just went thru a set of PBR AXXIS Kevlar/Ceramic pads in about 60 days/2k miles of hwy/city driving. Braking performance was slightly better than stock, however they made my wheels black as soot and did'nt last worth sh@. I am going back to stock pads ASAP.
    NAVIGATOR

I was running a racing/sport pad from Japan that N1 got me. I recently burned thru them and switched back to OEM and they are as good as the performance pads I was running, with no black dust.

Talking Akebono

AKEBONO Ceramic brake pads . . .
    can't imagine how I lived without them
    - To Err Is Human, To GET SOME is Divine -

I thought ceramic pads were mostly dust free?

Talking OEM Pads Seem to last Long

I have the original OEM Pads from 8000 miles and now I am over 140,000 and the pads still have some left

The largest percentage of my miles are highway and not a whole lot of braking going on there....only a handfull of emergency stops on record

A lot better quality than you get on most production cars

Thumbs up

94,000 miles with the original brake pads & rotors.
    When it needs them, I will stick to original equipment.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

My fronts were replaced at about 75k, and my rears at about 90k (although they still had life left, I had already bought the pads and was painting my calipers anyway, so I replaced them). Now at about 95k my fronts are already gone again! Darn semi-metallic crapola. As much as I'd like to buy the best for my VX, which most seem to agree are the OEM pads, I've got a lifetime warranty with Autozone, so even if I've gotta replace them every year or two, they're still free. When I've got more cash to spare maybe I'll consider going back to OEM.