Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wet Floor Mats

Wet Floor Mats

I just purchased a used 1999 VX two months ago. I am experiencing the wet floor mat problem, however, it is occurring on both driver and passenger sides. I noticed the problem about a week after a nasty snow storm. I don't know if somehow the moisture got trapped in there, but the problem even occurs on dry, sunny days. If the VX is left to sit over night, it drys up. When the VX is then driven for about 10 minutes, the moisture reappears. The moisture is odorless and colorless. I did notice on one occassion, water pour out of both sides of a vent on the underside of my dashboard. My VX is currently at my dealership, and the mechanics are not sure where the leak is coming from. I suspect the problem existed before the time of purchase. Any ideas? Does this sound like the same problem everyone else is talking about?

I saw some thread on leaking windshield trip and something about the firewall leaking. I think the windshield deal makes more sense. Good luck
    face the mirror

Post wetness

Hey grober02,
    I've been fighting the moisture battle for some time now and have never seen mine "pour" water. If yours is collecting that much water the leak should be easy to locate. Our problem is a damp drivers side floorboard caused, most likely by a seam leaking under the left front fender near the windshield. I have read a post about a leaking HVAC unit that caused a wet passengers floorboard. But, knock on wood, my A/C isn't leaking or actually condensing inside the VX.
    If I ever correct this "WET MAT" problem I'll probably write a book on it or at least a heck of a how to post.

Oh...and Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place...carlymac
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

Cool Wet Floor Mats

Hey guys, I have been watching this board for a while, and plan on introducting myself later, but I got my VX in October from Charlottsville, Va (I live in Greenville, NC) and the only problem I have had is the WET MAT on the Drivers Side. Its been at Jimmy's Body shoppe for 3 days. Yesterday they called me and said they could not find the leak so I went down and helped them find it. The water was leaking when water was applied to the left side of the windshield. It was coming from the top and rolling down through the small "boot" in the left side where the wires are located. They are taking the fender off today and Re-sealing everything on that side except for the windshield. IF that works I am picking her up today. If not, ...its a windshield problem and they will pop that out tommorrow and reseal it. I will let you know what happens!
    Duncan Eldorado

The body shop I took my VX to keep it for 4 days and said they had to take off the hood, and dashboard to repair some "plastic" peice that did not have sealer around it. Of course this did NOT work, and I was out $220. So I did not want those people touching my truck again, so I took it to a Glass shop and the guy said he re-sealed the body seam on the the drivers side and it only cost me $50. I tested it when I got home and no more leak. I pulled the carpet up last night sprayed underneith with bleach and on top with a carpet cleaner, this weekend I am going to dry the carpet with a hairdryer. One big problem SOLVED.

I'm seeing lots and lots of posts about leaks and wet floor mats - is there ONE place that leaks or lots?

deldorado can you tell me where the body seam is? I have the sam thing happen to me evvery time it rains.

~LOCO~

Body Seam?

Hopefully people are still watching this thread . . . I have spent hours trying to track this down myself. Does anyone know exactly where the body seal is?

Thanks!!
    Jeff

I've had this happen twice. Never was able to track it down. Its almost an intermittent thing for me. Both times, parked in the same place, differing amounts of rain, I just cant find the leak. Its rare, but out of nowhere.

Angle of parking

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I've had this happen twice. Never was able to track it down. Its almost an intermittent thing for me. Both times, parked in the same place, differing amounts of rain, I just cant find the leak. Its rare, but out of nowhere.
    I have seen a number of people saying that if they park their VX on an angle with the nose down, they see the issue. Mine is happening just from driving in the rain. It is garaged the rest of the time. Was yours at a downward angle?

I have the same leak on the passenger side floor mat everytime it rains! If there is a fix we need to figure it out!!

Well, this subject seems to have been around for a while...

A few weeks ago, I started seeing fogged up window when car was sitting for a while. This morning, I heard splashing and saw water around the area where windshield meets the dashboard.

Should I just re-install the windshield?

I remeber etlsport posting about how his windshield gasket was leaking. By the time it started letting water in, he had significant rust behind the gasket. Get your local windshield shop to inspect your seal to see if they can determine if that is where the leak is coming from. If the seal is bad, you'll have to plan on taking it to a body shop to get the rust taken care of before re-install.

I also seem to remember that some members found a leak through the firewall that was easily fixed by some sealant.

Have you just been searching on 'wet carpet' or have you also tried to search on 'windshield leak'?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I remeber etlsport posting about how his windshield gasket was leaking. By the time it started letting water in, he had significant rust behind the gasket. Get your local windshield shop to inspect your seal to see if they can determine if that is where the leak is coming from. If the seal is bad, you'll have to plan on taking it to a body shop to get the rust taken care of before re-install.

I also seem to remember that some members found a leak through the firewall that was easily fixed by some sealant.

Have you just been searching on 'wet carpet' or have you also tried to search on 'windshield leak'?
    Yep. Sucked! By time it started leaking i needed about 1k worth of body work. Hopefully yours isn't that bad. i could occasionally see water running down the inside of the windshield, as it got worse it actually would drip onto the front of passenger seat.

Have you ever had your windshield replaced? Mine had a blue tint across the top so i know it was aftermarket, probably a botched install before i bought it. Sadly the insurance company considered it a pre-existing condition since i bought it with that windshield.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

So was this an actual windshield to body seal failure?