Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Trails are you registered for (Registration is open)

Although Moabs trails seem to be rated on the conservative side, I would recommend staying with the 3+ max trails unless you have some type of rocker panel protection and/or large tires. Ratings are not solely based on difficulty, but also their potential for body damage as well. When you get into the 4 rated trails, you might get into situations where a locker would come in handy, and body damage will definitely be a possibility if your not careful. I don't want to scare anyone off, but I don't want anyone to leave the event upset because they scratched or dinged their baby either.

Andy
    Its the thrill of the chase

Originally posted by Locomigo
    Okay, a couple points of order here...

Copper Ridge is NOT Elephant Hill. Elephant Hill was pulled from the schedule this year, and replaced with Copper Ridge.
    Ya know, Copper Ridge OR Pioson Spider does look pretty cool. When I was checking out Copper Ridge on the ZuZoo website it comes up as Elephant Hll. I may switch trails for Wednesday. Anybody run either of these one before?

RichD
    Last edited by AnalogVX : 03/27/2003 at 07:44 AM

I can't seem to find the page that lists the minimum vehicle specifications to run each trail. I remember that last year I wasn't qualified to run a 4, but I don't remember the specs were. Anyone have that link?

Edit: Well not to run each trail, the min specs to run a 4 rated trail.

Originally posted by AnalogVX
    Ya know, Copper Ridge OR Pioson Spider does look pretty cool. When I was checking out Copper Ridge on the ZuZoo website it comes up as Elephant Hll. I may switch trails for Wednesday. Anybody run either of these one before?

RichD
    Refresh that page, I made the change last night at Corbin's. Sorry for the confusion, but we had some areas the were overlooked with the changes that were made, I think I got them all now.

Never RAN Copper Ridge, but exiting moab in November from Crawloween, we went down Klondike Bluffs, pretty cool, got to see the dinosaur tracks, and pretty scenic, as is all of Moab. Not very much to challenge you though.

Poison Spider is a great trail a couple spots to give you a challenge, but careful spotting and attentive driving should get you through unscathed, but as we are all aware, this is an assumed risk activity.
    We do all we can to prevent damage, but occasionally things happen.

Swordy is right. rocker protection is beneficial for the 4 and up trails, although I am not saying you can not be on the trail without them, just pointing out that your chances for damage increase without body armour.
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Originally posted by TimG
    It depends on the trail.

Like Pritchett Canyon for example:
    Front AND rear lockers required.
    Minimum 35" tires
    Low gears and winch HIGHLY reccommended

Golden Spike
    Rear Locker and 33" tires required

For most other trails in the 4 range, the following is reccommended:
    Rear traction aid, locker preferred, but a LSD will work
    Some lift to accomodate slightly larger tires 31-33
    Rocker protection

Those are minimum guidelines, and are up to the individual trail leader, and trailmasters whether or not you have:
    A) Proper equipment
    B) Sufficient experience
    C) Trail availability

Hopefully that helps to clear up some of the issues.

Golden Spike

Before reccomending the Golden Spike trail I would HIGHLY suggest taking the Gold Bar Rim trail a previous day. At the end of GBR trail you can walk (or drive if you're daring) the mile down to the "Golden Crack" and watch the vehicles(on the Golden Spike trail) go over the most known crack in Moab. The drive or walk down there will talk most of the VX's off the thought of taking the trail. Body damage is very possible over the crack. Last year we watched Bruce (great trail guide who stepped on the Gooney birds toes earlier) have to duct tape his bumper back on in his lifted Trooper. One of the trail guides on Golden Spike had to be winched over it. Awesome to watch, but taking the trail is like asking for body damage (IMHO). Yes, I know 2 VX's taking that trail, but those two are on the bit nuts side normally. They are both locked, and lifted with lots of experience. To my knowledge they are the only two to take a VX through the Rubicon trail.
    Taking Gold Bar Rim trail the same day those two take the Golden Spike trail might be the thing to do so you can see how they do as far as body damage. Then decide if you want to take the trail.

Deby
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

I am very well aware that I assume a cetain risk when taking my VX off road to any extent. Of course I would not want to damage anything just like most anybody. The object is to negotiate obstacles and come out undamaged. The more difficult the trail, the more risk involved. I accept those risks. I am not lifted or locked so I have to chose my trails accordingly and would like the most challenge to push myself and my vehilce to the limits.

I can't wait!!

RichD

I can't seem to find the page that lists the minimum vehicle specifications to run each trail. I remember that last year I wasn't qualified to run a 4, but I don't remember the specs were. Anyone have that link?

Check this link. http://www.4x4now.com/tr.htm
    It doesn't give vehicle specs but good descriptions nonetheless

RichD

Rich, I know you are man, and no harm done... Not trying to be the downer over here. HA! I just wanted to say it for the record ya know... Like I say, we typically get people through the trails without any damage. >;-)~

Regarding Spike... There are few to no spots left, and Grandpa Bob, and Swordy should do very well. The VX has a short overhang which is the opposite of what rips bumpers off.

Fernando was winched out last year after messing around, went through foraward without incident. When he tried to go through in reverse was when he got a bit too tipsy and needed the winch.

Otherwise a good trail to play on, but realize it is LONG.. 3 trails in one as a matter of fact.
    Poison Spider Mesa
    Golden Spike
    Gold Bar Rim (backwards)

Most VXs I know dont run big enough to tackle the Spike yet... but there are getting bigger every year, just like the rest of the 'Zus.

Re: Golden Spike

Originally posted by BumbleV-X
    Before reccomending the Golden Spike trail I would HIGHLY suggest taking the Gold Bar Rim trail a previous day. At the end of GBR trail you can walk (or drive if you're daring) the mile down to the "Golden Crack" and watch the vehicles(on the Golden Spike trail) go over the most known crack in Moab. The drive or walk down there will talk most of the VX's off the thought of taking the trail. Deby
    Good suggestion, and I think we have it timed to have that happen on both Thursday and Fridays running of those trails.

BTW, it's called the "Million Dollar Mile" starting with the Golden Crack, Golden Wall, Golden Stairs, etc

Re: trail rating

Originally posted by BumbleV-X
    Kammy,
    I too am new to the driving part (I'm usually in the passenger seat), and want some mellow trails, but not too mellow. Secret Spire (although interesting) was a bit toooo mellow for me. I'm not up to the double wammy (did that as a passenger last year), but still want a little chalenge. What rating would be a mild trail?
    Deby
    ps Is Gozar going to be there this year?
    Hey Deby-
    Secret Spire is only a 2 1/2, hence the excessive mellowness. I think you would love any of the 3 to 3.5+ trails, especially Seven Mile Rim, Poison Spider, and Fins-and-Things.
    Gozar is becoming a Geezer, but he's still up for the trip (but its a good thing we have A/C in the cabin).

Originally posted by Locomigo
    It depends on the trail.

Like Pritchett Canyon for example:
    Front AND rear lockers required.
    Minimum 35" tires
    Low gears and winch HIGHLY reccommended

I Agree, and you are going to need the winch to get up that eight foot cliff (The Rock pile or something like that) right in the middle of the trail. I rode in Blue Dodge's vehicle last year when they were running it, and it was very intense, but still a blast. And I admit it. There was one section that I walked instead of riding.

For most other trails in the 4 range, the following is reccommended:
    Rear traction aid, locker preferred, but a LSD will work
    Some lift to accomodate slightly larger tires 31-33
    Rocker protection

Those are minimum guidelines, and are up to the individual trail leader, and trailmasters whether or not you have:
    A) Proper equipment
    B) Sufficient experience
    C) Trail availability

Hopefully that helps to clear up some of the issues.

Last year they had something posted to the affect of if you don't have at least 31" tires and a rear locker (LSD acceptable) (Possibly a lift required as well) then you can't run a 4 rated trail without the trail leaders approval.

I want to know if a VX with a 3" lift, rocker protection, and 31" Boggers is good enough equipment to run Poison Spider Mesa without having to get special approval from the trail leader.
    And if it does require trail leader approval, is there a page with their email addresses?
    I'm sure that if they are a trail leader then they are active on the wire.
    Anyone know who Jeff Bathke is or what his handle might be.

Last year they had something posted to the affect of if you don't have at least 31" tires and a rear locker (LSD acceptable) (Possibly a lift required as well) then you can't run a 4 rated trail without the trail leaders approval.

I want to know if a VX with a 3" lift, rocker protection, and 31" Boggers is good enough equipment to run Poison Spider Mesa without having to get special approval from the trail leader.
    And if it does require trail leader approval, is there a page with their email addresses?
    I'm sure that if they are a trail leader then they are active on the wire.
    Anyone know who Jeff Bathke is or what his handle might be.
    See, I couldnt remember the verbiage, but I knew I had the right spirit of the guidelines...

To your question, I see ne issue with you on Poison Spider Mesa at all... but since Jeff is the trail leader, check with him.
    He goes by Marmot on the wire, he has a 2000 silver 4Runner.

marmot@trailseeker.com

I would imagine he will be fine with you on the trail, but its his trail to lead and he has the final say.

I will see if there is a way to either:
    * Hotlink trail staff's names with their email address
    OR
    * Put up a spreadsheet with that information.

In the meantime, go here for your trail staff sommunication needs.
    Staffing overview

Thanks for the info. Your help is much appreciated.

Just saw this on the wire. Pretty nice.
    http://planetbantz.com/register/trail_assignments.php