Thread: Unofficial '05 ZuZoo aftermath post

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unofficial '05 ZuZoo aftermath post

Just thought I'd start a post for everyone to throw up some stories, pics, comments or what ever for ZuZoo 05! I'll post up tomorrow after I get some sleep...just got done driving 11 hours. But I had a blast. Those who haven't been you don't want to miss the next one. Put in for your vacation now and mark your calendar for May 16 (VX only run) thru the 20 2006!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Okay, I couldn't resist...heres a few teasers.
    The wedge on Poison Spider

Some "lite" carnage from Poison Spider

And this ones for Spazz...3 wheeling on Metal Masher

More to come tomorrow!

Another GREAT event! Thanks to the new owners who took the chance and came on out - always great to meet you. And not a single VX got any significant damage. Billy, ya gonna scare folkes away with those great pics! I'll post links to some albums later today as well.

I've have almost 2 gigs of pictures and need the rest that were shot as soon as possible. If you didn't transfer them to my Powerbook in Moab, please email the highest resolution pictures you have (my email address can take almost any size file - 20-30MB) or snail mail them to me. I'd like to get them by next weekend so I can send back complete compilation DVDs.

Thanks.

Billy get your butt out of bed and post the rest of your photos!

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Indeed...

ZuZoo VIII gang:

As a complete NOOOOB to off-roading, I had one of the best times ever! What a sense of accomplishment! I learned more about my VX in ZuZoo VIII than I did the entire time I've owned her (12 months...)! I still have a sh*t grin on my face... Thanks to everybody for the encouragement, *spotting*, and advice! Jay, Tom, Scott(s), Tone, Lisa, Bob, Don, Larry, Billy, the rest.... I'm really glad to have met you all.

I can say, and others can vouch, that my almost stock VX (no skids, just tires) made it out of both Cliff Hanger & Elephant Hill with very little to no damage. Hell, I think the only real damage was a few minor scrapes on my tow hooks - oh, and a dime sized *ping* on my tail pipe... WORTH IT COMPLETELY!

I'll post some personal pics too as soon as I can sort through them all....

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Biju rocked on Cliffhanger! Made that last hill climb look easy! He did say that his knees were shaking after he got out of the car.

Did anybody get pics of my Amigo getting some air under the front tires on that climb? Good thing that I had taken a Vicodin a bit earlier or I might have gotten excited at that.

Great wheeling with all of you again.

Steve - Lttlbddy

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I had a blast too! Was great meeting new people, I am still exhausted from all the driving! Biju, Tom and Scott H. and Don, you did so well, and for the first time, thats awesome! I wish I could have spent more time with Grandpa Bob this year! And as always Tone, Jay and Scott G. made it memorable.......
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Alright...all rested up after a good nights sleep. I was glad to meet all the people up in Moab. Now I can put Faces to the names of a lot of people here and on the 4xWire. Had a great experience. Biju forgot to tell you all about the blisters on his fingers from the steering wheel "Death Grip" after his first wheeling experience! I had nothing but good experiences the whole week. No pictures can do justice to the trails, obstacles and pure beauty of the Moab area. Photo opportunities lie in every direction you look no matter where you are. I started off with the VX run. Todd Adams led the way with 11 VXs and 1 Amigo tagging along. Todd took us to first view some native ruins. From there we slowly made our way across a few tough obstacles. Thanks to Andy's (Swordy) expert spotting I walked right up the hardest making it look easy. Andy's son Marshal was along as the photo journalist and took about 500 pictures! Can't wait to see them all (be sure to let us know when and where they get posted...especially the videos). We reached our destination which was another finely preserved native ruins. Day two got a little tougher. The choice of the day was Metal Masher! I was joined by Grandpa Bob as the only two VX's to run this trail. Grandpa Bob was a ton of fun to be around. Thanks Bob for showing me the best lines to take and some times which one NOT to take. For those who have not been around Bob, he has his own style of driving that at times involves a lot of skinny pedal! If there was some one showing off Bob was always there to show them a VX was as capable as their well built rigs! Got through with nothing more than a few new battle scars in the skid plates. Watching the big boys play at widow maker and rock chucker was pretty cool. Also got a little to much tire air on one obstacle almost laying the VX on her side. Day three had 30-40 water crossings as I tackled Kane Creek. Once again I was joined by Granpa Bob. The deepest crossing put water mid way up on the VX's grill! The VX can swim (as long as theres no mud to foul the alternater). The trail seemed pretty easy for a 4 rated trail. We soon found out why it was a 4. On the way out there is this nice little ledge to climb with not much room for error. Grampa Bob Went up t in tipical GB fashion . I wasn't so lucky. After 4-5 gallant attempts I had to be winched over it. The ledge sloped in a way that it would cause you to slide hard to the left...towards the cliff! Short wheel base and no locker=winch up . Next up was a nice little water fall with wet tires after crossing the creek. A little advice from Dan, our trail leader, and I cruised right up it. Some of the better built vehicles had troubly getting up it. GB put on a show and I think didn't touch the ground after launching off the first ledge until he landed at the top . Day 4 was Gold Bar Rim. This time I was joined by Larry and once again GB. Lots of big ledges and a nice little "bump". Once at the top there was 360 degrees of views. We then walked down and watched the Golden Spike crew as they hit the "Crack", some BIG ledges and "Double Wammy". I hitched a ride across the crack wit Todd adams in his comp jeep. We took a special route into the crack, strattled it and drove up it before exiting it at the top...then we went and did it the traditional way. Marshal (Andy's son) took a great video of this from in the crack as we drove over him! I then got a seat with Andy as we drove up all the big ledges. Amazing what a front and rear locked VX with 33's will do . Even cruised right up an obstacle that an H1 had just been winched out of. Then it was back the way we came...same obstacles backwards! Day 5 was "unofficial" runs with small groups due to the BLMs huge increase in insurance$$$. I took a quick trip to the first section of Poison Spider. We went up to the wedge and played on all the obstacles up to that point. Our leader, Jeff, was a great spotter and walked me right up and down the wedge. Sustained my only damage on the way down. Caught the drivers side turn signal on a rock outcropping that was invisible! Or at least I didn't see it . After wards I took a nice drive through Arches National Park. Ammazing. Then it was back to Portal for the games. I learned that I sucked at "Dead Duck". A game that involved stopping as close to a duck in forward and reverse in your vehicle. Next up was the spotters challenge. This involved driving blindfolded through a tough course set up in the grass. My wife was my spotter and got me through the course with only two hit cones. Wasn't fast or pretty but I thought we did quite well and had fun. Andy took home the dreaded "cone" award for taking out the most cones. The day ended with food, awards, great give aways (everyone there won something, some of you who left early missed out) and a video show of the event.
    More pics will come as soon as I upload them to my server (it take a while with dial up). Tone, PM me your snail addy and I'll shoot you a disc of my pics (it would take me too long to email them).

VX run...Hotel Rock

VX's as far as you can see...

A vew from a "lost" side trip...

The first ruins...

Not a problem for the VX...

Here are the photos I took at 'ZuZoo VIII. Starting with Hotel Rock, Elephant Hill, Golden Spike and ending with our lost adventure with Randii and Kammy.
    Todd
    http://groups.msn.com/AdamsFamilyCra...ii.msnw?Page=1

200+ pictures of the VX Only Run, Arches Canyon/Hotel Rock
    http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBN2zdu3ZM2Vk

Those are some super pics Billy. Can't wait to see more of them. The wedgy backwards looks like a lot of fun. It was good to meet and wheel with you. Lets do it again sometime.
    Andy
    Its the thrill of the chase

Marshall, I sent you an email to get your address to send the 1+ gigs of photos I have of you and your dad- please repond. Also, have not gotten anyone elses pics.

Tone,
    I sent you mine via US mail. You should be getting them soon (hopefully tomorrow)!