Thread: Hella E1 Airhorns

Hella E1 Airhorns

I bought a set of Hella airhorns from NYC #1 Ironman a few weeks back, but don't really know how to wire them up or the best place to mount them. I know there are a few folks here that have them - could someone give me a quick howto? Did you disconnect the stock horn, or run them parallel? Thanks in advance...
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

*bump*

Anyone? Is this just a matter of piggybacking off the original horns? Should I bypass the two original horns entirely, use one + the hellas, or use them all? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kpaske,
    when I installed mine, I disconnected the original horns and used the existing wiring to hook them up. Since there is already a relay in the factory wiring, there is no need to install an additional relay. I removed the passenger side horn and fabbed a small braket to mount both horns on the factory mount. This positioned the horns close together facing down just behind the cladding. It was a struggle to mount them there and took some acrobatics - but easier than removing the cladding - hope this helps!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

I want to add a note - I installed my triple air-horns a few weeks back, and they sound awesome. Perfect loudness - better than stock, but not a train blast - and different from anything I've heard, almost like a Ferrari, but not quite.
    Steve

Question Airhorns Illegal???

I understood that putting airhorns on vehicle other than a diesel truck or similar may be illegal in some of the more anal states, like California or New York

California Vehicle Code

I think I can field this one, for Californians at least...
    CVC§ 27000 - Horns or Warning Devices
    (a) Every motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn which emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.
    Which means that they are not illegal, but "unreasonably loud or harsh" is at the descretion of the officer. You could always fight it in court especially if it is close to the tock horns decible level.

And while we are at it, you would more probably be cited for unnecissary use:
    CVC§ 27001 - Use of Horns
    (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.
    There ya go...

And one caveat... This doesn't mean that your city and/or county doesn't have an ordinance prohibiting their use. Check with your local agency for an answer to that.