Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trans. Filter

Exclamation Trans. Filter

I plan on having my transmission filter changed when I go in for my 60k check up in a couple weeks but it's not covered in the whole service package and they want an extra $140 to change it out. Is this something that is important enough to pay this much for or am I getting hosed? Does anybody recall what they paid to have their's changed?

I only paid what it costs for a new filter, fluid, and a pump with a very small hose...that is small enough to fit in the fill bolt of the tranny.

You have to remove drain bolt and it is reccomended you use a new one upon putting everything back together, but your discretion on this. After drained, remove the tranny pan. To do this you will need a jack to hold up T-case and Tranny, as you have to remove the cross member to get to a few of the tranny pan bolts. Then remove the few bolts holding the filter on. Install new filter, pan, and cross member in reverse order of removal.

Then remove the convertor sump pan..this will be forward of the tranny pan. be careful to not damage the wires or components when doing this. Poor Tranny fluid in this pan then hold it up in place and bolt it in. This drains about a quart more of fluid than just removing the Tranny bolt. Next remove Tranny fill bolt and pump it full of Tranny fluid. Next start VX and shift slowly down thru the gears and back up, check Tranny fluid level and fill (while VX is running) and then shift thru the gears again and fill one more time. Not worth $150 to pay someone to do, unless you do not get a pump with a small enough hose to fit into the fill hole of the Tranny.

Does anyone have a picture of how to support the tranny, transfer case and so forth before you take down the cross member? link!!!

Great Directions.... I do ours myself too. The only diference is that a dealer or service shop, probably has the machine that pumps fluid out and thru the system. They will use extra fluid to push all your old fluid thru.

To me still not worth it

I use oem jacks and a block of wood under the tranfer case to hold it up while the crossmember is out.
    chris

If they are dropping the pan to sevice it the only EXTRA work they have to do is two screws that are easily accessed. The filter runs about $60. So they are charging $40 per screw
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

transfer case

Quote Originally Posted by VxSport View Post
    Great Directions.... I do ours myself too. The only diference is that a dealer or service shop, probably has the machine that pumps fluid out and thru the system. They will use extra fluid to push all your old fluid thru.

To me still not worth it

I use oem jacks and a block of wood under the tranfer case to hold it up while the crossmember is out.
    chris
    So the the transfer case would be the transmission it self or the TOD? gonna support both I suppose!

You are getting hosed. Find a different shop.

Smile Transmission main pan and filter replacement complete without removing crossmember

by removing the center crossmembers skid plate and removing the lower transmission mount screws I got plenty of space to remove the rear most transmission pan screws, I was able to use both a 10mm 1/4 inch flex head and a 3/8 flex head, and I had space to use my airtools; I learned not to jack it up to high cause if you do, the mount bolts will and go off center, tough to get back into mount holes but I got it, next time, I will leave them in place slightly threaded; next, will be adding 1.75 gallons of fluid, thats what it took last time to fill!! sound about right???

Joe Black's most-excellent step-by-step instructions with photos available here:
    http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx...l/4L30E_01.asp

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

4L30E Transmission cross reference

are all 4L30E transmission alike? I may need one! seems to be alot out there in the salvage yards just here in Cincinnati; filling mine up this afternoon but I'm not hopefully as the last mile I drove home I had no torque; lower pan was a black mess, smelled bad, got it all out, no chunks of metal; yep, that 1.75 gallons I once put in didn't include taking down the main pan so I outta to be at 2 gallons pretty much; filling it up this afternoon when I get back from lunch; its ready, all pans are back up, new filter but I fear the worst!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    And we're hoping with you for the best...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Not all are the same. There is a two wheel drive and 4 wheel drive model and I am sure some have different mount types depending on the vehicle. Also gearing will be different depending on the application.
    If your fluid smelled bad chances are your clutch packs are burnt up from slipping. This will cause the lack of torque also. Any tranny shop should be able to rebuild it and put heavy duty clutches and bands in.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Not all are the same. There is a two wheel drive and 4 wheel drive model and I am sure some have different mount types depending on the vehicle. Also gearing will be different depending on the application.
    If your fluid smelled bad chances are your clutch packs are burnt up from slipping. This will cause the lack of torque also. Any tranny shop should be able to rebuild it and put heavy duty clutches and bands in.
    How much should I expect that to cost?

my local shop that would pull my tranny said the transmission shop they use, NorthGate transmissions, Cincinnati, ohio told them $2000 for rebuild; sounds like that's plus take out and re-install/fill; gonna talk to local salvage yards and see how they guarantee their transmission, there are dozens of used one available in Cincinnati, mostly out of TROOPER 2 ; car-part.com, a used parts search service defaults to Trooper 2 as the same transmission, those are 4 wheel drive, and I think some people have said those are the same engines even; cause the used ones are cheap, I might go that route, I gotta get back up and running without taking a bath!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    Joe Black's most-excellent step-by-step instructions with photos available here:
    http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx...l/4L30E_01.asp

-- John
    Anyone have an updated link? The one above is not working!