Thread: How Do You Clean The Headlight Covers

How Do You Clean The Headlight Covers

New Owner Has What Looks Light Condensation
    Built Up On The Inside Of My Headlight Covers.
    Does Anyone Have An Idea On How To Remove And Clean Or Should I Replace The Covers And Were Would I Find Them.
    TARHEEL UNC-ROSS

I did a search on "remove headlight" without the "", came up with 17 results and a plethora of info on the covers.. I even used the search the title of your thread using the title search feature next to the title input field when you start a thead, it showed approximately 7 results, one was titled "Crazing" which may fit your problem.

Make sure it is on the inside as there has been some documentation of the top outer surface hazing.. Some have been replaced and some have been polished.
    Scott / moncha.com

I cleaned mine up very nicely with special polish /cleaner designed for plexiglass. They came out crystal clear. Old age is setting in again...LOL.For the life of me I can't remember the name of it but it was purchased at a specialty glass shop. I hope this helps.
    John

I sanded mine w/1500 then 2000 (wet/dry) using warm water and ivory soup and a sponge finger pad, then machine polished using "BlueMagic" Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner, I picked up at the local Auto Zone. It turned out very nice...good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan
    ..... using warm water and ivory soup ....
    I heard Chicken work much better!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Scott,
    I'm with you, that Ivory soup always leaves a nasty aftertaste...but still not as bad as LAVA or Irish Spring.

That is exactly why I try and proof-read my entries. There are too many smart ###'s like me in the world!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

So true... but without smarta$$'s, there would only be the other kind left, & a lot of them are busy covering their a#*'s in DC.And so it goes.
    Oh, back to the topic at hand, Flitz has a new "buffing ball" on the market that is supposed to work on everything from paint/lexan to polished wheels.
    I just picked one up ystrdy at my local tire store.
    That experience turned into a one car "show" while I was inside, a small crowd of 5 or 6 guys gathered around the VX & gawked.
    When I came out there were the usual questions & comments, usually the funnest part is popping the hood & watching the expression on their face when they see the s/c & other doo-dad's.
    After having a VX for a couple of yr's, you get used to it...but I never tire of owning a truly unique vehicle.
    Sorry to ramble on, just thought I'd share.
    Ldub

I was at the gym yesterday and there's a guy who's always there with a Hummer but I've never really had a conversation with him before. He loves the VX and is a big Trooper fan. Said he put 350,000 miles on one he had and never had a problem - just the normal maintenance stuff. He's never seen a VX besides mine and thought it was a new model and was surprised it was a '99 and still in that like-new condition. Also was telling everyone else how the Trooper would surprise you because it was kinda quick, and he bet mine would really scoot. I have finally found a decent Hummer owner! LOL! Just kidding. By the way, his Hummer always looks immaculate too.

I just love driving a VX. You just know that there are all these people seeing us and going in to dealers and asking to see that new Isuzu. :-)

LOL: I just read the #1 post alittle closer. My post (#4) was a great way to cleanup the "Age Haze" on the "OUTSIDE" of headlight unit...My Bad...

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    If it's condensation, remove the headlights or otherwise check to see if the assemblies have vent tubes and clear them if needed. Remove the bulbs without touching the glass (at this point you may want to clean the housings' insides with clean or distilled water and maybe ivory?, but use their SOAP, the soup might leave discoloration or oily residue. Ventilate the housings with a blowdryer or compressed air till COMPLETELY! dry (plan on a weekend where you can keep them indoors). Reinstall