Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine dying while stopped?

Engine dying while stopped?

Has anyone had problems with there VX occationally dying while stopped at stoplights? Mine has done this twice. No check lights, guages look fine, fluid levels are fine. Never had a problem restarting. It doesn't seem to be idling rough either.

When did you change your fuel filter last? Hot or cold temps outside? How long after starting engine did it occur? Sitting still, stopping or accelerating from idle?

Well, I just got it about a month and ahalf ago. I'm assuming its still got the original fuel filter, cold to mild (55 high/33 low), had been running 10 to 20 minutes, and sitting still for several minutes. AC was probably on as it has been cycling the defrost with the climate controls in auto.

I have also noticed sometimes you really have to push the brake down hard as it occationally pushes forward at a stop. Sometimes more than others.

Question

I'm going to take my VX into the dealership tomorrow for a oil change, fuel filter, and a couple of warranty items, headlight gasket and seat release lever. Is there anything that I should have them do besides the fuel filter? Injector cleaning, spark plugs???

How many miles do you have on it? If less than 12,000 (even if not try to get it replaced) check your wheels for bubbling/cracking, it seems to be a poular one. Also check the hood insert to see if its cracked, a lot of people have had these problems. Just a couple things to check before you go to the dealer.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    TCC? Torque convertor clutch or actuator? Sometimes the convertor lockup switch/ solenoid can cause a problem similar to what you've described.
    Last edited by SGT.BATGUANO : 03/31/2003 at 09:05 PM

If it is a tcc staying engauged it will be a very harsh stall. Just like stopping with a man trans and not pushing in the clutch. Very harsh!!
    Andy from Isuzu America

It has 25K miles, and when it stalls I actually didn't notice it until I when to push on the gas to go at a green light and it didn't go. Of course I was playing the radio both times but still didn't feel rought.

Post Mine, too!

Mine did the same thing the other day at a light. I had the radio on and didn't even notice because it was such a soft stall. Just breaking coming to a light and the car shut itself off. My fueld level was medium-low (not unusual at all for me). The only thing I can think of is I had added a can of some kind of cleaner to the fuel tank on that particular tank of fuel. It was a new cleaner I hadn't used before... brand name like Chevron I think... anyway, I'll worry about it if it happens again. My VX has 32,000 miles.
    Grant
    2000 Proton Yellow #756
    "THE UFO"
    Seattle, Washington

Question stalling out at stops

mine did that too. dealer said it was all computer stuff. (mass airflow sensor and ECM) is you airfilter aftermarket? do you need to use filter oil? that oil will atomize and corrupt sensor readings in the intake and air/o2/fuel areas - causing your anti pollution crap to overload and trick your engine into running lean and starving it of fuel. This was my problem at least.

Bringing to life this old thread. My VX has done this 3 times now. Always after it's warmed up, not necessarily in any one kind of weather, no lights, always starts right up, no modifications have been done to the VX. It always dies when rolling to or sitting at a light. I am going to do some routine maintenance to make sure its nothing like that. New air filter, new fuel filter, plugs, fluids ect, getting ready for winter anyway. Hopefully that will solve it. Has anybody figured out why theirs died?

Have the fuel pressure regulator checked?

More life to the old thread

It happened to me last night. It's a really quiet stall, while sitting at a stop light. Starts right back up no problem. Outside temp 75, 3/4 tank of gas,oil level fine. 48K miles on my baby, no rough idle, no oil consumption, no fluxuating RPMs, no check engine lights, no warnings. If I find a dirty filter or low fluid level I'll post here.
    I Loved My Space Buggy

Does the 3.5L have an Idle Control Module?

I had a similar problem with a GT Ford Mustang and after the idle control valve was replaced the problem disappeared. I had a fluctuating idle and it would stall while at stop lights or stop signs. The Mustang is also was an automatic.

my VX has this starting issue. Every once in a while I attempt to start my VX and it will die. Opening the gas tank and closing then starting does not help. I must keep gas pressed enough so it will not die, then put it in drive while still pressing gas.

If in a forward driving it will not die. Neutral it will die, but in reverse it may or may not die. if I come to a stop, the RPM guage goes way down and VX alomost stalls and almost dies. Some times it does die when I come to a stop during this starting issue.

then after a while it goes back to normal. I cleaned EGR and changed out PCV valve...and it continues to do this.