Thought I would pass this deal along:

Free 40 Hour Series 2 TIVO at Circuit City after rebates:

$199.99 for the unit plus tax
    2 $100 rebates
    Free Shipping or you can pick it up:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...ateid=39502629

Rebates:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...etailsPopup.do

I highly recommend one - I can't basically live without mine.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Thumbs up Forgive me, I'm a TIVO FANATIC !!!!!!

I have had a Direct-TV Tivo for over a year now and we couldn't do without it. When I hacked the Tivo recently to upgrade the hard drive my wife made me promise if I broke it I would have to go out the same evening and buy another - LOL. That is how much we use it. A Direct-Tivo is a Direct TV system with Tivo combined in one unit, as opposed to just a regular Tivo that you use with cable or antenna.

My opinion is that TV should not be watched live (why be limited to what is on at the moment), nor should you ever have to watch commercials again.

Tivo will find stuff for you (based on things you tell it), and automagically record all your favorite shows and movies without you ever having to think about it again. For example: Do you like Sandra Bullock? Put her in as a actor wishlist and you will get all her movies AND any interviews she may do on talk shows etc. Like David Lynch movies? A Director wishlist will record anything he has directed automatically.

Tivo is one of those rare things in life that you can't possibly be sorry for buying. Everyone I know who has one LOVES IT.

DirectTV Tivo is the way to go as well (imho). Only records in highest quality mode and it has two tuners so you can record two programs at once, and even watch a third show that you have previously recorded, at the same time as you are recording the two others. I like Direct Tv as well. The day I cancelled my lousy cable service was a happy happy day.

I upgraded my Tivo hard drive to a 160 gig Seagate a couple months ago and we now have 150 hours recording capability. When I sit down to watch TV there are now approximately 120 shows and movies that I really like waiting for me in digital quality. I could never possibly have time to watch even a tenth of all the good stuff waiting on my Tivo every evening.

Direct Tivos are available for $99.95, if you are new to Direct TV it's $49.95 after rebate and installation including the dish (even multiple rooms) is usually free with a one year contract.

The 2nd link shows no rebates.

Is it possible to transfer shows recorded on your Tivo to some other medium, i.e. copy them over to your computer and burn them to dvd?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Yes you can pull programs across your network and burn them onto cd or dvd (with the right software). There's also a manufacturor who produces a TIVO with built in burner (the name escapes me right now).

The item has been pulled down from circuitcity.com. I hope some of you got a chance to purchase one.

-- John

Arrow Getting Stuff Off the Tivo

The ability to pull your recordings onto your computer is called "The home media option". It is available, for an extra monthly charge I think, on regular Tivos.

It is not available on Direct Tv Tivos, but there is a hack for Lan support through the USB ports (which are non-functioning on a stock Direct-Tivo). I think the hack costs about 300 bucks though.

Tivo is a Linux operating system machine, basically a computer, so once you have the ability to mount the hard-drive through LAN you can do all sorts of things, besides taking programs off. You can change the software and hack it in various ways for additional functionality.

But who wants to mess with all that? Creating a bigger linux drive with the proper Tivo software, using something called "instant cake" was enough hacking for me.

I just run my movies out of the high quality Super-VHS output, using the record to VCR Tivo feature, straight onto my Liteon DVD recorder (the Liteon is a great machine for only 200 bucks). The Liteon records the Tivo playback in real time.

The original Tivo Direct-TV recordings are very clear, and I don't notice any significant quality loss when recording on the Liteon in 2 hour speed. For longer movies I have to go up to 4 hour speed on the DVD recorder and I notice a slight loss in quality on playback of the finished DVD.

It has been working great for me in general though. I buy 100 packs of DVDs at Sams or BJs and save whatever I really like off the Tivo. I have about 300 of my favorite movies in a drawer next to the TV now.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    The ability to pull your recordings onto your computer is called "The home media option". It is available, for an extra monthly charge I think, on regular Tivos.
    It's been included with the basic service for some time now, plus you can manage your TiVo from any Internet connection in case you're out of town and forgot to set up a recording.

It is not available on Direct Tv Tivos, but there is a hack for Lan support through the USB ports (which are non-functioning on a stock Direct-Tivo). I think the hack costs about 300 bucks though.
    That blows. All you need for the current Series 2 TiVo's are a cheap LinkSys USB E-Net or WiFi adapter.

Tivo is a Linux operating system machine, basically a computer, so once you have the ability to mount the hard-drive through LAN you can do all sorts of things, besides taking programs off. You can change the software and hack it in various ways for additional functionality.

But who wants to mess with all that? Creating a bigger linux drive with the proper Tivo software, using something called "instant cake" was enough hacking for me.
    TiVo hacking is so commonplace now and unopposed by corporate that it's practically plug-n-play now. Several outfits are offering kits with brackets, cabling and huge hard drives so you can turn a basically free unit into a 900-hour powerhouse.

I just run my movies out of the high quality Super-VHS output, using the record to VCR Tivo feature, straight onto my Liteon DVD recorder (the Liteon is a great machine for only 200 bucks). The Liteon records the Tivo playback in real time.
    Great info! The local Sams Club has the Lite-On for $130 and you've now given me the motivation to get one! LOL!

The TiVo is truly a wonderful machine and I owe big BIG thanks to John for giving me the info and endorsement I needed to take the plunge. Believe me, you TRULY free yourself from TV! I don't watch much, but I get to see exactly what I want to, how I want to, when I want to. It's allowed me to sample shows I might otherwise have missed and manage to get the old shows I grew up with and wanted to revisit, all with a great commercial-trouncing interface.

Once you get it you'll never understand how people enjoy TV without it.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Has anyone who uses Tivo tried any of those software PVR's like BeyondTV (formerly known as SnapStream)? I used a trial version for a while and loved it - I was recording almost 24/7 - it's amazing how much interesting stuff is on when you're looking for something to record. The only issue I had with it is the serial port hack didn't always change the channel properly, so sometimes I would miss recordings. I thought the video quality was acceptable, though using a capture card with a hardware encoder supposedly is a big improvement. I'm thinking about buying the full version of BeyondTV 3 and a Hauppauge PVR-150 (total cost is about $150), but I wonder if maybe a Tivo device would be better. I don't mind doing some hacking. If I already have cable tv, there are no subscription fees associated with a basic Tivo, right? It's basically just a recording device?

Hi Kpaske - Regarding subscriptions: There are subscription fees (very inexpensive though), it's far from just a DVR.

It will work without the subscription, but you need the subscription for it to find and record things for you. Without the subscription (program info) it wouldn't be the magical Tivo. It would be pretty useless, just a fancy VCR.

Joe - Thanks for the updated info on the standard Tivo, sorry I had some of it wrong.

I'm mostly familiar with the DirectTV-Tivo.

Regarding upgrades - Instead of buying a complete hard-drive upgrade kit, when I did my upgrade I bought a pretty cool cd with an image for my machine and the software to automatically make a tivo drive in a standard PC. It's called InstantCake, and you use it to "bake" a new Tivo drive. Really easy and cheap. Cost me $20 for the CD and the 160 gig Seagate cost $50 after a rebate so the total cost for my 150 hour upgrade was $70. Pretty good deal.

Also: The older Direct-Tivos have limits to upgrade size. The regular Tivos probably have limits as well. I think about 300 hours would be the limit on my Phillips unit.

The new LiteOn is the LVW-5005 (unless they have another one out now). To make it a little confusing Sam's has a special model #, only sold there, but as of a couple months ago I believe their model was the same as the older model (whatever model came before the 5005). The Sams model didn't have as many recording features, or the new easy guider menu system. Maybe this has changed in the last couple months since I got mine. I can't remember all the differences between the 5005 and the Sams model, but when I got mine I decided instead of getting it at Sam's, to spend just a little more and get the newer LVW-5005 at buy.com for $200.

Probably worth looking into and comparing the features based on what you will need to use it for.

Either way it's a great device, I've used it hundreds of times already and it's worked flawlessly. I can't believe how it records such high quality in real time.
    Last edited by jimbo : 04/22/2005 at 09:30 PM