Thread: Kill your blind spot in ten seconds

Kill your blind spot in ten seconds

With proper mirror adjustments you never have to worry about not seeing the car next to you when changing lanes. This is how it goes:

Sit in your car seat and rest your head all the way against the headrest or seat for that matter. Now for the left mirror, turn your head as far as you can to the left looking into the mirror. Adjust your mirror to where you can just barely see the side body of your car. Repeat this proceedure for your right side. It may feel awkward at first but you will get used to it. You will notice as cars pass you or vice versa, that by the time you do not see the vehicle in the mirror anymore, you see it's nose looking out the side window. I have done this for a long time and never had a problem making lane changes. I pretty much pretend in my VX that I have no rear window.
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

Interesting...sounds worth a try, one definite way to keep your VX safe from damage is my #1 defensive driving rule....."ALWAYS ASSUME that there IS a car in your blindspot. (I hate those IDIOTS that hang out there)
    It's the love child of a Hummer & SLK, uniquely rugged & SLeeK

I just put some small 1.5" blind spot mirrors in the corners of my stock ones and they work awsome, well worth the $2 i spent on them.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

That sounds good to me. I am installing a lg A/V system as I write this. I am installing 3 wireless cameras I picked up at pep boys. They a really made for homes but I notice that the cameras take 6 volt DC and the Base takes 9 volt DC so i picked up 4 plugs and now t5hey work good in my VX. I'll post up the pics and do a product write up when I'm done.

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

Absolutely right...

We have the exact same mirror setup, and the blind spot is all but banished.

If you're set up just right, you'll see a car coming up behind you and if, for example, it passes you on the left you'll see the car drive out of your rearview mirror and right into your side mirror.

As it leaves your side mirror, it'll show up in your peripheral vision.

It does take a little getting used to, but I've been driving that way for a couple of years now and feel very safe.

Of course, if I'm changing lanes, I'll usually take a quick glance, just in case, but there has never been a time when a car has been there that I didn't know about.
    - - - - - - -
    Rob Hawley
    Proud Papa of a 2000 Green Dragon #0720
    rlhawley@comcast.net

Too many bikes here, you gotta turn and look. wayne

i have 2 1.5 inch little blind mirrors on stock mirrors and on my back window i have flexible screen size of A4 paper and its really good for backing up and parking, you need to get used to it though

Quote Originally Posted by cascabel3
    Sit in your car seat and rest your head all the way against the headrest or seat for that matter. Now for the left mirror, turn your head as far as you can to the left looking into the mirror. Adjust your mirror to where you can just barely see the side body of your car. Repeat this proceedure for your right side.
    This is pretty similar to the technique I was taught in driver's ed many moons ago, except that I turn my head only slightly to each side, the logic being that your primary field of vision should always be generally in the direction that you are moving. We were also taught a technique for adjusting the rear view mirror that almost completely eliminates blind spots - you basically try to center it between the two side view mirrors so that there is a little bit of overlap, but even this technique leaves some blind spots. You can test this yourself by having someone stand at various spots behind and to the side of you while you sit in the driver's seat and adjust (I know because I did this while teaching my wife to drive). IMHO, "Blind spot" mirrors are the best way to widen your side view because the only blind spot that remains is immediately behind you (which can be "fixed" with van eyes or a backup camera).
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by Newsman
    If you're set up just right, you'll see a car coming up behind you and if, for example, it passes you on the left you'll see the car drive out of your rearview mirror and right into your side mirror.

As it leaves your side mirror, it'll show up in your peripheral vision.

It does take a little getting used to, but I've been driving that way for a couple of years now and feel very safe.

Of course, if I'm changing lanes, I'll usually take a quick glance, just in case, but there has never been a time when a car has been there that I didn't know about.
    I used to do this too. You're basically relying on your memory of a random number of moving objects moving throughout your peripheral vision to know when something has moved into your blind spot. This becomes exponentially difficult as the number of objects increases, and your brain has a way of "forgetting" about objects that aren't moving when it's trying to keep track of a number of others that are moving. Hopefully it won't take a major accident to prove to you how dangerous this is. (In other words, don't get complacent and stop taking that "quick glance" - trust me, one day someone's going to be "hanging out" there and you'll be glad you looked).

Anyone who plays "Brain Age" on the Nintendo DS will know what I'm talking about.

i drive through the city (with lots of parallel parked cars) and at each light i get stopped at i look at the cars in my mirrors to see where they show up and where i can see the most, and exactly where cars disappear in my mirrors, paired that with small stick on blind spot mirrors, ive yet to have even a close call with not seeing someone alongside me

I will try it. I always use my side mirrors and not the back window.

Wink Blind spots

You're right buddy,since you cannot assure that a vehicule is right behind you i'ts a good idea to always "ASSUME" that someone is there.
    Out there's so much idiots behind the wheel playing with the devil that you must try your best to stayway from those jerks.

ya i have always done this and it has always worked for me no blind spot but i just check to make sure
    ----------------------
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

similar thread

Moncha - I started a similar thread http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...threadid=12725

This one was started before my time so never saw it. You are welcome to kill my thread or combine it here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.