Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: headlight replacement question

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Yeh...they can be a real bugger, speshially if they've been connected for a decade or more.

Perseverance may be your best ally, a little wiggle action E-W, & N-S, will also be required.

Also, please swing by the "keep on rock'n" thread & post your latest odo reading, you may be in the running for highest mileage VX...

Quote Originally Posted by DeanMan View Post
    I shouldn't complain, I'm at nearly 300,000 miles and this is the first thing I've had to replace besides brakes and tires.
    ....WoW! think you might just win the highest mileage VX known to date!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Ok that diagram is exactly what I needed, just to kind of see where exactly to try to squeeze the lil' things together, gonna go try now.

I can't possibly have the highest mileage, can I? I bought this one from eBay, and it already had 43000 on it. I'm a designer and my best buddy and his wife ran the first marketing company for Red Bull... the Vehicross almost became the car with the big can on the back that they use for promos. Not enough of them to go around though!

Ok that diagram is exactly what I needed, just to kind of see where exactly to try to squeeze the lil' things together, gonna go try now.

I can't possibly have the highest mileage, can I? I bought this one from eBay, and it already had 43000 on it. I'm a designer and my best buddy and his wife ran the first marketing company for Red Bull... the Vehicross almost became the car with the big can on the back that they use for promos. Not enough of them to go around though!
    Very interesting :-)

Things could be a lot different with our resale possibly, haha ;-)

For the life of me I cannot get the first step done... pinching the sides to unlock the plug. My fingers are bleeding. I can't even find a photo on the web to show exactly what/where I'm supposed to be trying for. Any other suggestions? I'm afraid to do it at Jiffy Lube and end up having them give me a handful of broken plastic bits!
    You squeeze in the sides of the plug right behind the rubber boot thing. It's a black rectangular box shaped plug and you squeeze in the short end sides of it and pull. It comes off pretty easy really if you do it right!
    Canadian VXer!

I'm learning something. Tried those extra bright bulbs for a while...they burn out in nine months approx. So we went back to the oems, I mean the originals, and they are still shinning.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Have Silverstar Platinum...going on two years and still shining brightly.

Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Have Silverstar Platinum...going on two years and still shining brightly.

That is what I have as well. They have been great...although one did go out not that long ago.

Nice part is, they sell them in singles.

Any luck DeanMan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    ...a little wiggle action E-W, & N-S, will also be required.
    That actually works for a lot of other things too.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

just had to replacemine light builds, used the $16.99 pair from Meijer lol, cheap, gotta do drivers side still!

I just ordered brite *** LED's. the increased lumen output should nicely offset the smoked covers i have.

I am fighting this tonight! I got the bulb and connector out all in one. I loosened the screw that held the metal retaining clip in place and it fell away, did I break it by loosening the screw? My bulb connector absolutely would not come off by pressing the tabs and pulling out, it was jammed, after soaking it a few days with penatrating oil it finally let the bulb go nearly pulling the contacts out with it. So now trying to figure out how to remount this clip that I loosened, I guess I will try the driver side without taking clip off, agrghg

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyErik View Post
    I am fighting this tonight! I got the bulb and connector out all in one. I loosened the screw that held the metal retaining clip in place and it fell away, did I break it by loosening the screw? My bulb connector absolutely would not come off by pressing the tabs and pulling out, it was jammed, after soaking it a few days with penatrating oil it finally let the bulb go nearly pulling the contacts out with it. So now trying to figure out how to remount this clip that I loosened, I guess I will try the driver side without taking clip off, agrghg
    You were not suppose to remove the retaining screw that holds the metal clip. You can actually unhook the metal clip with long nose pliers and swing the clip outward like a door. The retaining screw holds the clip in place and acts like a hinge so the clip can swing open. This will allow the bulb to simply fall out of position. After removing electrical plug from bulb, while leaving retaining screw in place, unhook clip from housing with needle nose pliers. Replace old bulb with new. And use needle nose pliers to grab and re-hook clip end behind housing to lock bulb in place.

If you are having a hard time visualizing the clip placement, look and study the opposite side bulb. First timers are typically bewildered how this assembles. But once you do it the right the first time, you'll kick yourself on how easy it is to replace your bulbs. Remember, do NOT loosen/remove the screw holding the clip in place and you'll do fine. Hope this helps.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Thanks for the reply Ron, I had to release the clip to get the bulb out, so now I'm trying to get that clip back on to hold new bulb in place, I am hoping the driver's side comes off easier so I can pull the boot off and see clip in place. I should have taken a picture before I unscrewed it but the boot would have made that useless I think, if only the electrical connector to the bulb would have released first............. ! back at it shortly!