Thread: VX hood insert???

VX hood insert???

Hey everyone, glad I found this site. I just became a VX owner yesterday!!! So far so good, but the center insert on the hood (OEM calls it Hood Rear Panel) has some paint bubbling and crackling. I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced one, or if there are any kick butt aftermarket replacement parts out there?? I found a new one from the factory to be about 375.00, and to have it fixed in a body shop I was quoted between 250 and 350. I'm just wondering if there are any places to get aftermarket, or any "secret" places with good prices on OEM parts for the VX. Thanks a lot.

First off...Welcome to the obsession! To answer your ?? the person you bought the VX from must have painted it since they are not painted from the factory. You have several options. You can repaint it, replace it with an OEM insert (try St. Charles for a better price...see links section), replace it with a used one (allhyundaiisuzu in the links sestion), have it sprayed with a bed liner (I think LineX looks the best), or there is a vendor that make carbon fiber inserts (do a search you will find a lot on here). Good luck and let us know which option you choose.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

awesome!!! thanks for the info. Next question, i bought it from a dealer used, and someone had installed an aftermarket radio (but it's crumby) do you need to remove the dash trim to get a new aftermarket radio in?

Finally, last question for now, I didn't have a tow package on it and i'm going to U-Haul to have a hitch put on. Given an estimate of about 250.00 bones, but what is the tow limit with this bad boy? I'm just pulling my crotch rocket so maybe 600lbs max with trailer and cycle.

Radio is relatively easy to remove. About 6-8 screws (all easily seen) and remove the dash trim. Be carefull of the short wire right of the steering wheel. Just rotate the panel up and out of the way.
    I'd check out Tones tow hitch. I think it looks WAY beter and factory. Requires a little cutting and welding but IMO is worth it. Quite a few tow with their VX on this site. I think you'll be fine with a 600lbs load.

Yep - don't go to UHaul until you give Tone (find his link a shout about that hitch. He's got one that fits the VX. Find him: http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...=newlink&id=15

Good luck!

Yes - Tone's hitch is the way to go.
    It looks as good - or better - than a factory unit would look.
    The cladding does require a little bit of cutting - but I don't believe any welding is involved .... (I should know this - but I have not found he time to install mine ..... ) ......
    My hood insert also has a few small flaws ......a small crack or two ...... and it has a few very small 'bubbles' ..... (tiny bubbles - where is Lawrence Welk when you need him) ........ btw: it was not painted
    A $ 250-350 estimate to repair the hood insert appears to be excessive. If the insert is painted, be careful if you do attempt to strip the finish - some paint strippers may 'dig' into (harm) the insert.

You will have no problems pulling a motorcycle.
    Years ago, I pulled two motorcycles with a Honda Prelude - and also pulled a two place snowmobile trailer with one snowmobile. Yes - with a Honda Prelude - a small 4 cylinder unitized body car. I did get some funny looks when pulling the snowmobile trailer - TG I only needed to do this a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    To answer your ?? the person you bought the VX from must have painted it since they are not painted from the factory.
    Actually, they are painted (or coated) from the factory. If you remove it, it is white on the back side; and I have a rock chip on mine that only removed the paint, no damage to the finish of the insert - it is white under that grey paint or finish. From the back, it looks like those old fiberglass chairs everyone had in the '60's (showing my age!), with the exposed fiberglass chop or strands. Leads me to believe it could be worked with by a good bodyman to mold in a hood scoop!

I second, third, or whatever the comments on Tone's hitch - good instructions, and straight forward installation that anyone with at least limited handyman skills can tackle. As far as towing - it will do the job!!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"