Thread: Fortitude of the VX

Fortitude of the VX

Driving home form class the other night, doing about 70 MPH, I "Bunny Hopped" a wheel/tire in the middle of the highway. I was in the center lane, with vehicles on both sides of me. So I had no choice but to drive over it. I made sure that my tire hit it in the center, as I did not want to straddle it and risk tearing out my oil pan or anything on the underside. The whole truck seemed to be airborn for a moment. It was quite a bounce!! I immediately pulled over to see what damage was done. To my surprise, not a scratch or ding. I thought for sure that something would have gotten bent in the front suspension. But it does not even seem to be out of alignment. Wow, what a beast!!!
    Had I been in my wife's Saturn, or most other vehicles for that matter, it would have been disasterous. Not an exercise that I would suggest to other owners, but it is a good feeling to know that our VX's will hold up to most obstructions on the roads.
    This could be a fun thread to see what other VX's have survived on the mean streets out there.

Too bad it cannot go through 12" of water without the alternator crapping out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I-MAN
    Too bad it cannot go through 12" of water without the alternator crapping out.
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Nice comeback Dragon ! !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

What class are you taking?
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

while its true that the alternator is in a crappy position with relation to the block for water crossings, its not really water that makes the alt poop out. Its more the dirt and grime and other stuff that washes in WITH the water. If you cross a stream it my behoove you to take electrical cleaner spray to the alternator housing. Its standard maintenance item on mine anyways (with every oil change it gets a dousing)
    2000 Black VX 105k

damn I wish I would thought of that after the third alternator. That was the only problem I ever had with the VX. I miss the little guy :nog:

Yep, the VX is a fortress. No alternator problems for me either.

^ You all have much larger male anatomy than I.

It's just luck of the draw. At the Ocala meet 3 out of 7 VX's had subsequent alternator failure. Scott (VX1) and Alex (-x-) were the most aggressive drivers, going back to waterholes for second and thirds and fourths, yet Alex did not get the problem. Scott did, but then so did Frank and I, who were less aggressive.

I can relate to hitting tires at a good speed because I nailed a few lining the course at the Starke European Rally School rally sprints Joe Black and I did. It was no sweat, but most were in very tight hairpins at lower speeds, though I did clip one at probably around 40. Speeds in the long straights on the course got up there - you could push 80 plus. I also went off into the brush on hairpins several times, and Joe got on two wheels and carved a path through dense brush down a 3-foot embankment and back up onto the course, all at good speed, coming out no worse for the wear. Everyone who saw it was saying that was the most amazing thing they'd laid eyes on. I did a nice spinout on the tarmac of the old airstrip near the start and ended up with this barrier of piled up chunks of asphalt right in front of me. Now we had cars get some good body damage from sliding into that stuff (mostly in the turn pictured below), but the adrenaline was pumping and I wasn't wasting any time throwing it into reverse - I hit the gas and just drove over it, and not exactly gingerly. No damage. Nobody else there but Joe or I could have gotten away with the kinda stuff we did. Gotta give major credit to the VX! :-)

Last edited by Heraclid : 03/10/2005 at 03:38 PM

It all comes down to this: PREPARE

You play in water/mud/sand/snow or whatever...you have to prep your vehicle for the worst. And that's da truth!!!
    John