Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VX Lowering Kits

Question VX Lowering Kits

Anyone come across VX type lowering kits out there.......I know this sort of reverses the general trend.......but......

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    :nop:

say it isnt so.........
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

There has been talk about it before... someone found springs that did not work and some people have tried cutting the bump stops, no one has successful done it yet... as for me i would LOVE a 2 inch drop, as long as it did not ride like crap.

BigMeatVX knows of a way...

ATTN.... All who want to lower the VX.......

YOU CAN LOWER THE VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-3" lower is ALOT easier than everyone is making it sound....

The "bounce" that some of you have felt, when lowering, is the A-arms bottoming out on the bumpstops.

In the front, all you have to do is remove the bump-stops and trim them with a saw or grinder (I did this on mine to increase the wheel-travel) and turn DOWN the torsien bars a bit...
    Also another slick trick is to do a Ball-joint mount flip ON THE LOWER A-ARM, this will allow more up-travel while still using your stock bumpstops and shocks.
    To drop it even further than 2" the torsen-bars will need to be re-indexed.

In the rear, the VX has a rather large bump-stop that can be trimmed also, or removed altogether and replaced with a lower profile one (Ive tried both)
    Shorter springs can be had at a reasonable cost.
    To drop more than 2" in the rear, there is a square-tube piece right above the rear bump-stop that could easily be notched out (w/o sacrificing frame strength), and on the rear axle the "bump-stop pad" on the top side of the axle could be trimmed off for additional clearance.

I have a lot of experiance with the Vehicross' suspension as I have had several different lift kits and shocks on it and ran at several different ride heights, and am always playing with the suspension to achieve maximum articulation.
    Also, I am the guy that drove to Calmini Manufacturing to get them to make/install the prototype lift kit they now offer for the VX. (They also offer lowering springs for some other trucks and may be able to help source a good set for the VX)

No, the shocks don't bottom out...it seems Isuzu had the forthought to allow the shocks to travel farther in each direction than the stock suspension components do.

Anyone seriosly interested in "dropping" the VX is more than welcome to e-mail me with questions.....
    Last edited by Cyrk : 03/10/2005 at 09:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy
    :nop:

say it isnt so.........

I'm with him.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Quote Originally Posted by mike6187 View Post
    Just roaming around to get some tips and ideas on how to lower my VX.
    Thank you so much for sharing this useful information. Anyway, I'm thinking now of getting the lowering kits i found on sale from stylintrucks.
    Good luck with that.
    They don't actually make one for the VX.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Good luck with that.

PK
    I was wondering WTF too. Call it a morbid curiosity but I had to look, it ain't there.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Thank goodness now it is harder for people to ruin our beloved VX's. Why in the world try to make a good looking and performing off-road vehicle lower? Just looks tacky, not different, just terrible.

The post with the link looks like Spam to me. Funny that someone would actually think that we would want to ruin a VX by lowering it. If you can't reach the handle buy a car
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 11/30/2010 at 03:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Thank goodness now it is harder for people to ruin our beloved VX's. Why in the world try to make a good looking and performing off-road vehicle lower? Just looks tacky, not different, just terrible.

The post with the link looks like Spam to me. Funny that someone would actually think that we would want to ruin a VX by lowering it. If you can't reach the handle buy a car
    Thats true, I know I have done some crazy stuff to mine, but it is all to enhance offroad performance, what it was meant for. You want to lower something, you should get an S-10, or a Typhoon, or a Rubicon. (I saw a lowered late model rubi on 22s or some such the other day, it made me cry, he couldn't even turn all the way around in my intersection, cause his wheels were too big).

But its your truck, do what you want, even though a new honda civic will smoke you off the line...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post

Many people would think that some of the "popular" mods implemented here on this Forum on the VX would be considered "ruining" them, for the record...

Lowering is no worse than jacking it up

To those who think lowering is a sin but are okay with jacking the Vx up 3 or more inches to improve pewrformance. I call foul. For one the designs did not call for jacking up so thats wrong. Adding hieght to an already turn over prone vehicle makes it more likely to flip. Hardly an improvement one would like to make. I think a lowered VX would take us back to an era of cool hot rods with modern amenities. I havent done it yet but once I take the VX off the road as a daily driver I am thinking lowering it adding flames and winning a few area contests
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Why couldn't you buy some stiff OME 919 and cut the spring down to the height you want? Then just lower the IFS with the torsion bars. Seems pretty easy to me as long as you make sure there is clearance for the body & suspension.

You could just cut the stock springs but would probably loose too much spring and bottom out everywhere

Makes about as much sense to me as the 'slammed' Chevy dually running around Fredericksburg. Gotta admire the effort & engineering that went into doing it ... but what's the purpose.

The only justification for lowering a vehicle (other than looks) is to improve cornering and decrease wind drag. The VX is never gonna be a street performer.

On the other hand, lifting a VX does provide increased performance in terms of ground clearance and allow for installation of larger and more agressive tires. That is - it improves the capabilities that it was designed for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Someone has a great photo of a lowered VX with enlarged cladding flairs that looks pretty sweet to me...but I like most of the "tuner" cars anyway.

Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Lightbulb Not

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    On the other hand, lifting a VX does provide increased performance in terms of ground clearance and allow for installation of larger and more agressive tires. That is - it improves the capabilities that it was designed for.
    The extra ground clearance works well for rock climbing or low speed 4 wheelin. It also makes the VX as nimble and well baalanced as a hippo on roller skates. A look at the driver side sun visor will show a warning about the instability of the VX. Raising the center of gravity makes it worse. As for larger more aggresive tires they weigh more tax the little 4L30E tranny and actually decrease performance. So basically jacking it up and slapping big wheels actually decreases performance

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    A look at the driver side sun visor will show a warning about the instability of the VX.
    Every 4x4 sold since '96 has those.

As for the rest ... we'll have to agree to disagree