Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mods for robotic VX

Quote Originally Posted by Swordy
    So wheres the pics Bubba?!?!
    Hello Swordy,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date with the vehicross.info forum...

I have hundreds of pictures, most of which I haven't even uploaded to our own website... No time :-( After the race is over I promise to figure out how to upload pictures into vehicross.info and I promise to upload more pictures than you can wave a stick at :-)

In the meantime, and by way of making amends :-) here is a web page that has some pics of the robot, and *even more exciting* it has some pics of our first site visit in May where you can see our robot driving around the obstacles set by DARPA representatives (plastic trashcans :-) I created this page for Col. Starr of the Texas National Guard at Camp Mabry in Austin when we were trying to obtain permission for using Camp Mabry for our 2nd site visit:

http://www.austinrobot.com/misc/dsv_summary/

Since then we have added laser rangefinders and cameras to the rooftop mount. The robotic VX is quite a headturner :-)

Thanks,

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    I like it much better when people DO something first and THEN talk about it.
    You mean like going to war with Iraq? You're right, talking about stuff first is a waste of time. We should just act on instincts like animals.
    Steve

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    I have use a wheelbarrow inner tube with a board on top for damping heavy objects like microscopes.
    If the bag burst with motor oil you would have a mess. I would use water with gelatin packages from the grocery and add a few drops of bleach to stop alge growth. Water cleans up easier.
    Cheers, Roy

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Hmm ... California Speedway

That is not too far from a lot of us L.A. VXers. Is it possible that we can meet up with you? I think that would be a very cool thing to do.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    Is it possible that we can meet up with you?
    Hello Anita,

Our team is allowed 25 guest passes at the California Speedway. I can't make any promises yet because we have to make sure all our sponsors and family members get passes, but we may have a couple we can make available for a day. If you think you would like to make use of the guest passes, please keep in touch with me and I'll try to save some for you. The best way to reach me is to go to our website (www.austinrobot.com) and send me email via the "Contact Us" link.

Thanks,

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    Hmm ... California Speedway

That is not too far from a lot of us L.A. VXers. Is it possible that we can meet up with you? I think that would be a very cool thing to do.

Maybe I could work up a nice shirt for the event.. And you could be our rep?!?!
    Scott / moncha.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha
    Maybe I could work up a nice shirt for the event..
    Hello Moncha,

DARPA sent me an email telling me that the track announcer at the California Speedway will typically have air time to fill between vehicle runs and could use lots of stories, facts, data, anecdotes and biographical data. They said it may be helpful to think in terms of information "nuggets" that are easy to explain to the general public. Please see below for a sampling of some the "nuggets" we sent in :-)

Thanks,

Jorge

---o---

Austin Robot Technology's vehicle is a 1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS, "Ironman" Edition.

The VehiCROSS was originally introduced by Isuzu as a concept car at the 1993 Tokyo Motor Show. Its unique and daring style made it a crowd favorite, and the VehiCROSS went into production in 1999.

The VehiCROSS is highly regarded by car enthusiasts as a high-performance off-road machine.

---o---

Due to the fact that it was originally a concept car and that ceramic stamping dies were used to cast the body panels, the VehiCROSS was produced for only three years, with the last VehiCROSS rolling off the assembly line in 2001. This has turned the little SUV into a collector's item and has resulted in a large following of die-hard aficionados.

One such community is the vehicross.info forum on the Internet. Members of the forum were quick to embrace Austin Robot Technology's vehicle selection and they offered advice ranging from tire selection, to skid plates and brush guards.

Members of the audience interested in knowing more about this unique SUV are encouraged to visit the vehicross.info website. Austin Robot Technology would like to thank the members of the vehicross.info community for their support.

---o---

Austin Robot Technology's robotic vehicle is completely street-legal and it can be seen regularly driving around town in Austin.

Their personalized license plate is "ROBOT" and it proudly displays the Texas anti-littering slogan "Don't Mess With Texas".

---o---

Austin Robot Technology's team leader says that they have been stopped several times by grinning police officers who want a closer look at the vehicle.

One police officer in particular has stopped the team twice to check on the progress of the vehicle. This was the same police officer who offered his assistance as the team was working on their vehicle, late one night, in an empty parking lot.

Austin Robot Technology would like to thank the Austin Police Department for their support!

---o---

You guys shoulda gone with a Proton Yellow VX.

Very COOL Jorge!! I'm speechless. I only wished I could be there when you guys run.. I am in spirit!

Jorge,

I'm also in Austin with a '99 black VX, big tires + all of Ron's mods but have not seen your white one around. I had a small VX gathering recently at my house but missed you guys. PM me and let's try to hook up sometime. Check out my gallery with all the cool interior mods.

Quote Originally Posted by JULIAN911
    I'm also in Austin with a '99 black VX
    Hello Julian,

Let's hook up when I come back. In one week we leave for three days of testing at the U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground in Arizona. They have allowed us to use their unmanned vehicle testing facility for three days. After that we are off to the qualifying round in California... Hey, I saw your cool mods... Cool screen! That's exactly where we put our flat-panel screen :-) You building a robot too ;-) or does it give you GPS, etc.?

Jorge

If you come through Tucson let us know if you want to do lunch or breakfast/mini meet...or something!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    If you come through Tucson let us know if you want to do lunch
    Hello Billy,

As a matter of fact, we will be driving through Tucson this Friday, September 23... probably just around dinner time... and what better person to ask where to eat than a local VXer? ;-) Send me an email if you'd like to meet for dinner Friday night! And bring your camera ;-)

Jorge

What kind of food/price range you looking for? I am up for meeting. Will bring camera! And luckily I am on vacation (usually would be at work!). I will email you with my phone # so you can call me when you get near town so we can set up a time. This will be cool! I even just washed my VX (first time since May-it was the rain season).

Tri,

Make sure to get lots of pics of the RoboVX !!!

Steve