Thread: Serpentine Belt Replacement Secret Revealed

Talking Serpentine Belt Replacement Secret Revealed

The VX belt can be replaced in the field without tools. Just pull up hard on the old belt using only your hands and the spring loaded tension arm will give enough slack to remove the old one, then simply follow the same path to install the new belt. Ten minutes tops if you move very slow or loose track of the path.

BTW check your belts, mine was looking mighty cracked at just under 30k miles.
    NAVIGATOR

My VX just had to have it's belt replaced because the old one was very cracked and it only has 40,00 miles on it. Isn't that kind of soon for a belt to deteriorate?

This is one belt that you should carry as a spare.

Goodyear Gatorback
    Poly V
    PN 4060895
    Cost about $34

Once you change it out use the old one as the spare.

Dragon Bob;pg;
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Originally posted by JRB
    My VX just had to have it's belt replaced because the old one was very cracked and it only has 40,00 miles on it. Isn't that kind of soon for a belt to deteriorate?
    I'd have to say age is as much of a factor as mileage. My VX is a low mileage 1999 edition, just turned 30k, and I am gradually replacing deteriorating rubber parts as I find them. So far the belt was the only thing I found that looked bad and was feeling brittle. My hoses still look and feel good as new, but I am going to replace them anyway because the are so old. The good news is th VX is so easy to work on, so better safe than sorry. Just need sombody to care for my lawn, while I spend so much of my spare time on the VX

Serpentine conquered

Mine was cracked when I bought my VX (41k) and thought that I would have to take it to my mechanic to have it changed. Thanks to this post I was able to do the job myself, which is infinitely more satisfying. Thanks!!

i heard your supposed to pinch it (look on back side(grooved side) and if it has more than 3 lil cracks per centemeter then it's time to replace

When I did mine I replaced the tensioner, as is often recommended when changing out belts, and it was NOT an easy "no tools required" job. The gatorback with the new tensioner took me forever to get back on, and it WOULD NOT fit without loosening the bolt that holds the tensioner in place, giving it just an extra little bit of play.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but some people have had very different experiences changing out this belt (as reflected in another thread a few weeks back) - some were simple 5 minute jobs and others like mine were much more of a PITA.

And BTW: I replaced mine around 80k+. The old one was all cracked to hell, but it was still holding strong!
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers