Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mud Flaps Needed

Unhappy Mud Flaps Needed

I need mud flaps in the worst way. With my new wheels I'm throwing rooster tails way out there and I'm affraid I'm gonna get a ticket or something. My new tires stick out of the wheel well the better part of an inch and I'm all paranoid I'll get in trouble so I'd like to stick something in there. Can anybody reccomend some flaps that are a close fit? I dont mind modding them to fit but they do need to run up along the outside edge a little.

Don't quote me... I thought I saw VehiCROSS mud guards in a 2000 Isuzu Accessories catalog the other day. Not at work at the moment, surprisingly enough, so I can't check availability. Even if they're not available from Isuzu directly, we're hooked in with other Isuzu dealers that may have a extra set or two collecting dust in their parts room.
    Don Viner
    Sunset Isuzu
    6211 L Street
    Omaha, NE 68117
    O - (402) 733-2227 ext 214
    F - (402) 733-0395
    M - (402) 505-2147
    don@sunsetisuzu.com
    http://www.sunsetmotors.net

If those are available I'll take a set. Doubt it though...Remember when N1 (Albert) checked the availability on these and other pieces for our VX's ?

I have never seen ANY VX mud flaps in the US although I have seen them at some Japanese meets. Some have gotten generic ones at Pep Boys and made them fit.

Really disrupts the lines of the VX though... checkto see if it really is against the law in your area. Three of use were stopped on the way into Moab last year and it is illegal there without flpas - but at least he let us off as tourists....Roosters look cool in the rain or mud!
    Last edited by Tone : 02/16/2005 at 08:31 PM

JDM Chrome Mirror Covers (Isuzu Part #5-8672-2031). No longer available, but perhaps there's a set sitting in a warehouse someplace.
    http://www.wildtoys.com/vehicross/VX_JDaccys_pg2.asp

Another view:

-- John
    Last edited by johnnyapollo : 02/16/2005 at 08:00 PM
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    I run 295/20's in the summer and tires are about an inch out of the cladding. Went to carquest and picked up some plain-jane truck flaps. No fancy molding, just plain, flat 1/8" thick by about 10" wide. Mounted them using stock bolts; larger washers only. The tires still stick out about 1/2" further than the flaps, because I didn't want the flaps sticking out past the cladding more than 3/8".. Doesn't look bad, you can't really see them in my avatar, but I really did it more to protect the truck/ cladding from salt spray/debris as opposed to protecting other vehicles from my rooster tails/ thrown debris.

Awww John those are some sweet flaps.
    I need to get a set of those....info please. With all the C--p on the roads up here I need those. Are they available for the front also?
    John

5-8672-2031 isn't a valid Isuzu part number.

5-86722-031-0 would be a valid number, for example. Missing a number in there somewhere. Get me a valid part number and I might be able to locate some flaps.

Quote Originally Posted by GoIsuzu
    Get me a valid part number and I might be able to locate some flaps.

Chances are it aint gonna happen. These OEM mud guards were not made available in the U.S., only Japan. The Japan inventory of these things was very limited and is now gone. In fact, I had heard from several sources in Japan that even the mold had been completely retired and any future manufacturing of these is not possible by Isuzu.

Unless my information is wrong, but I was very thorough when investigating this some time ago when N1 was offering them for sale.

The flaps that Tone mentions - from Pep Boys - are the best I aftermarket flaps I have seen for the VX ....... yet.
    Former VX owner 'Jumpnugly' had Pep Boys flaps installed - check the gallery for potential shots of these flaps.
    A search on 'mud' ..... 'flaps' ...... or 'Pep Boys' ........ should bring up a thread or two on the Pep Boys flaps ..... one thread may have the part number for the flaps that fit the VX well. I believe I jotted down the part numbers and posted them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoIsuzu
    5-8672-2031 isn't a valid Isuzu part number.

5-86722-031-0 would be a valid number, for example. Missing a number in there somewhere. Get me a valid part number and I might be able to locate some flaps.
    That's a Japanese market part number pulled directly from the install instruction sheet (it's also the number in the Japanese accessory catalog that my second link at the bottom shows) - that's why it's not showing for you. As I said in my post, I don't believe you will find these unless there are some in a warehouse someplace.

Hey John - the flaps, actually called "sprash guards" - went on all 4 wheel well openings. They are hard to see in normal light because they are made from the same material and are the same color as the cladding.

-- John

I went with the chromed mudflaps a few years ago. Here are a couple of pics from my gallery showing them on my VX. I'm pretty sure I bought them from either Autozone or Advance.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

so bringing back the thread... anyone else put on any aftermarket flaps that might look good?

If you aren't looking for something form fitted....

I put some RallyArmor flaps on last year.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/index.php/...727c82f6d0da2e

Nothing fancy, but REALLY gets teh job done one vehicles with aggressive wheel/tires fitments.

Very disappointed with how they turned out. Of course, had to get the universal fit and modify them slightly for the VX. I went with the urethane ones, which was probably the biggest mistake. They were just simply too damned floppy. The inner front well also has a concave design that the flap is not friendly with so it added a very unappealing flex to the flap. They came off after 1 day, heh. The ones I have on my STi are form fitted and come with brackets and look and work GREAT. Would love to have that vibe on the VX with these.

With a slight bit more modification (meaning perhaps creating a bracket to resolve that front inner well), the basic (non urethane) RallyArmor might work.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/index.php/...727c82f6d0da2e

These are more rigid I believe. I think it's the same material as the ones I had on my older WRX. They worked great on that car, and were very affordable. Again, I think with some simple brainstorming on attachment, these would work and look great. I would like to try again some day with the basics, but until then, I can live with my VX rooster tailing down the highway.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by UNEVEN THOUGHTS View Post
    ... I'm throwing rooster tails way out there and I'm affraid I'm gonna get a ticket or something. My new tires stick out of the wheel well the better part of an inch and I'm all paranoid I'll get in trouble ...
    I'm right there with you. Mine stick out almost 4". According to the guy at the inspection station in VA that I go to, four inches is the maximum so I barely make it. He did warn me though that a cop could still ticket me even though it passed the Safety Inspection. The one thing I was never able to determine is if the 4" is measured at the edge of the tread or the outermost part of the tire (my sidewalls are almost an inch farther out).

All that said though, NH could be different. You'll have to check with somebody who knows the laws for your state.

I find my rooster tails entertaining (even if the drivers around me don't)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.